DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Personal Crash & On the Road to Recovery

theDRONEranger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all,
I've had a few drop me a line and inquire. So . . .

Preface: I am retired military after 24 years of active duty in the USAF and another 20 years employed by the State of CO.
My Primary Care Manager (PCM) is an assigned team on Ft Carson, CO.

On March 10th, I had a visit to the Ft Carson EACH (Evans Army Community Hospital) Hospital ER with a complaint of stomach cramps. After a wait of 8.5 hours (and I understand the ER triage system), I was given a CT Scan and told my intestines were clogged up and to request a follow up with my regular Primary Care Manager (PCM). So off to home the wife and I did go. On the 11th, back we went to same ER, only with much more severe cramping. This time they gave me a shot of morphine for the pain and again "schedule a followup with your PCM". Back to the house to telephonically schedule a follow up with the PCM.

Three days later I begin to awaken in the ICU ward of Colorado Springs Memorial Hospital. I had under gone emergency surgery for a totally ruptured large intestine! (Later, the doctor informed me had the wife not called for ambulance (911) when she did, there would have been a funeral instead of recuperation.) God, I love my wife!!! Two separate operations on 2 different days. First they removed all my large intestine and cleaned out the abdomen to prevent sepsis and further internal contamination. Two days later, they made a small incision in the abdomen to bring the end of my small intestine to the outside (stoma). In the ICU for a total of 10 days. Released from the hospital and sent home. Home care was assigned and physical and occupational therapy (M-F) began. Finally, I was doing a 1/4 mile walk with either a walker or cane. Progressed to leave the aids behind. Walking is still slow. Three visits a week for about a month and half to change dressing on incision and clean the WoundVac area. The wound had to heal from the inside to the out, not outside to in. Wound is healed now! Doctor was very pleased with my recovery. Now, my bowel movements are completed via the stoma into a plastic bag. The good news, according to the doctor, (if I wish, and I do, I do!!!!) is the stoma can be placed internal and connected to the rectum in about 3 to six months, if all is in good order! Personally, I do not relish the idea of a bag attached for the rest of my life!

The hardest part of this "event" is the weight and strength loss experienced. I dropped 27 pounds immediate from the operation, from 177 to 150 just like that. Strength and muscle mass have both been affected. Fatigue is easily on set and rest is still a constant.

I am somewhat scared to get my MA out and attempt to fly. My mental capacity is there but the physical stature is not exactly back to par. Good news is that I completed a letter of MOA to the Springs Municipal Airport (KCOS) for intent to fly whenever, and the local ATC says Just Fly and DO NOT CALL unless emergency, also to watch out for manned AC. God, I love those people. I really must get back out and fly easy no nothing missions to keep the mental facilities going.

Soooo, long story short. Recovery is slow but positive. Strength is regaining, along with agility. Home exercise and dog walks are a plus. (Sometimes, my wife says she does not understand me, but I know my dog does!!!) Just kidding! It is a slow road, but one I must travel.

I hope all are well, physically and mentally.
Keep a sharp mind and promote the activity in a positive manner.

My Respect to all

Jeffrey

Hi all,
I've had a few drop me a line and inquire. So . . .

Preface: I am retired military after 24 years of active duty in the USAF and another 20 years employed by the State of CO.
My Primary Care Manager (PCM) is an assigned team on Ft Carson, CO.

On March 10th, I had a visit to the Ft Carson EACH (Evans Army Community Hospital) Hospital ER with a complaint of stomach cramps. After a wait of 8.5 hours (and I understand the ER triage system), I was given a CT Scan and told my intestines were clogged up and to request a follow up with my regular Primary Care Manager (PCM). So off to home the wife and I did go. On the 11th, back we went to same ER, only with much more severe cramping. This time they gave me a shot of morphine for the pain and again "schedule a followup with your PCM". Back to the house to telephonically schedule a follow up with the PCM.

Three days later I begin to awaken in the ICU ward of Colorado Springs Memorial Hospital. I had under gone emergency surgery for a totally ruptured large intestine! (Later, the doctor informed me had the wife not called for ambulance (911) when she did, there would have been a funeral instead of recuperation.) God, I love my wife!!! Two separate operations on 2 different days. First they removed all my large intestine and cleaned out the abdomen to prevent sepsis and further internal contamination. Two days later, they made a small incision in the abdomen to bring the end of my small intestine to the outside (stoma). In the ICU for a total of 10 days. Released from the hospital and sent home. Home care was assigned and physical and occupational therapy (M-F) began. Finally, I was doing a 1/4 mile walk with either a walker or cane. Progressed to leave the aids behind. Walking is still slow. Three visits a week for about a month and half to change dressing on incision and clean the WoundVac area. The wound had to heal from the inside to the out, not outside to in. Wound is healed now! Doctor was very pleased with my recovery. Now, my bowel movements are completed via the stoma into a plastic bag. The good news, according to the doctor, (if I wish, and I do, I do!!!!) is the stoma can be placed internal and connected to the rectum in about 3 to six months, if all is in good order! Personally, I do not relish the idea of a bag attached for the rest of my life!

The hardest part of this "event" is the weight and strength loss experienced. I dropped 27 pounds immediate from the operation, from 177 to 150 just like that. Strength and muscle mass have both been affected. Fatigue is easily on set and rest is still a constant.

I am somewhat scared to get my MA out and attempt to fly. My mental capacity is there but the physical stature is not exactly back to par. Good news is that I completed a letter of MOA to the Springs Municipal Airport (KCOS) for intent to fly whenever, and the local ATC says Just Fly and DO NOT CALL unless emergency, also to watch out for manned AC. God, I love those people. I really must get back out and fly easy no nothing missions to keep the mental facilities going.

Soooo, long story short. Recovery is slow but positive. Strength is regaining, along with agility. Home exercise and dog walks are a plus. (Sometimes, my wife says she does not understand me, but I know my dog does!!!) Just kidding! It is a slow road, but one I must travel.

I hope all are well, physically and mentally.
Keep a sharp mind and promote the activity in a positive manner.

My Respect to all

Jeffrey
dear Jeffry like you i recently had a life changing medical issue, although not as severe as yours ,the impact of the meds, and the restrictions that my issue has placed on what i am able to do,on a daily basis, i have been able to fly my mavic,you will improve with time and then get back to enjoying your flying,glad to hear you are on the mend

Reactions: Chip
My follow up visits with the doctors are progressing well. My doctor says that at the 6 month mark he will reconnect the short plumbing. Looking forward to that. Did not know, but at one point the doctor asked the wife is there was a living will as death was knocking at my front door. Wife said don't let him go. Love my wife even more now!!! Submitted a complaint against the Ft Carson Hospital. Next day, the hospital commander called and we chatted. Not looking to fry anyone, but rather to bring a higher awareness to ER patients. I sincerely hope no one out there in forum land (or your kinfolk) ever have to go through the emergency I did.

Happy Flying to all!

Jeffrey

Reactions: Chip
Glad to hear you are on the mend. I hope your progress continues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure