DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PFCO Track....

Rogerlin

Reactions
I would like to think at some point in the future I would look at getting a permission, not least because a few people have asked if I would get some shots/footage of various buildings, sports facilities etc, I assume I can do this anyway providing I don`t get paid.

I would very much appreciate any advice or contacts which may help, I live in The West Midlands, UK.

Cheers.

I assume I can do this anyway providing I don`t get paid.
If you are flying recreationally, and the buildings you refer to are in built-up areas like towns or cities you have to maintain a minimum distance of 150 meters from such areas, and it would be illegal to overfly any people or structures not under your control (the general public and any occupied neighbouring buildings you do not have permission to film) at less than 50 meters. Those rules make videoing most buildings and structures in built-up areas at close quarters impossible without a PfCO, but you might get lucky and the building you want to film is not in a town so can be legally flown without breaking any proximity rules.

The other thing to worry about is what constitutes 'commercial work'. Sometimes this can involve more than just being paid cash for a job. For example if you monetize any video, or it is used in the furtherance / promotion of your services, that could be considered commercial as well in the eyes of the CAA.

Thanks for that, I am aware of the 150/50 meter rule and I appreciate it literally means you cannot even take off closer than 150 m to any building. The place I have in mind is a squash/tennis club, in a built up area but in its own extensive grounds so I`m guessing I could operate within the rules, within the confines of the clubs property, and fly just above 50 m, M2 Zoom will help, if they don`t pay me anything would there be anything to prevent any footage being used as a promo on their website I wonder.

Cheers..

Thanks for that, I am aware of the 150/50 meter rule and I appreciate it literally means you cannot even take off closer than 150 m to any building. The place I have in mind is a squash/tennis club, in a built up area but in its own extensive grounds so I`m guessing I could operate within the rules, within the confines of the clubs property, and fly just above 50 m, M2 Zoom will help, if they don`t pay me anything would there be anything to prevent any footage being used as a promo on their website I wonder.

Cheers..

You still can’t overfly a built up area at 50m. You have to keep 150m distance full stop be it horizontally or vertically.

Of course you can’t keep 150m away vertically as you are limited to 120m altitude. This essentially means you cannot overfly built up areas at all.

This is handily illustrated on the drone code leaflet.

https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Dronecode_2018-07-30.pdf

You will see that you cannot fly in built up areas at all. Now does everyone stick to this? I wouldn’t like to comment ;).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032