DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantomrain ! Why we fly BACKWARDS

So the vents are covered with the Neoprene which create a Concave like structure around the vent using it to thicken the walls, making it much harder for the rain to get inside of it> Think of how a cave protects you from the wind and rain, Gravity forces the rain down even when flying right into it.

So flying forward or backward the vents are covered and it stops the rain from getting inside.
We learned how effective this concept truly was from the Wet Suit we designed for the Phantom 4 Pro which had open hole vents on both the top, bottom and side of the drone.

The results of using the Concave Protection of the Phantom was amazing as it is with the Mavic 2
Any problems with over heating with the vents covered?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Yeah, of course, I've already seen the videos you've uploaded. I was thinking something a bit more in depth and something that at least gives the product a chance. Did you really stick that on while sitting in your car? Then the part 2 video was quite a hard watch, seeing you struggle to get the battery off while still holding the camera and shaking it was quite hard to watch. But it's still a hundred times better than all the other videos that exist - of which, I believe yours is a first.

Think I'll fly with gimbal cover on, rain on it will be the same as on lens and help with water in the intake

Yeah, of course, I've already seen the videos you've uploaded. I was thinking something a bit more in depth and something that at least gives the product a chance. Did you really stick that on while sitting in your car? Then the part 2 video was quite a hard watch, seeing you struggle to get the battery off while still holding the camera and shaking it was quite hard to watch. But it's still a hundred times better than all the other videos that exist - of which, I believe yours is a first.

Lol ya I wasn't really planning on doing a review on this particular day. I'll do another right now... We're experiencing record rain/snow fall in AZ at the moment.

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot

Wow, that footage and flying was amazing , seeing the wet suit at the end , awesome surprise, Thank you.

Notice how well that camera is protected from the snow, , we found it also very protected from the rain and snow, was wondering
if I could post that video on our site with a link to you somewhere, Email me . Thanks again.

Any problems with over heating with the vents covered?

So we have clients that use the Mavic 2 to record explosions mostly mining operations and they use the Compression Band to seal off the Front vents which worked out perfectly to keep out sand and grit and dust which is what they deal with most. This was an unexpected use of the compression band we did not see coming.

So you can use the Compression Band to dial in how much of the Vent you want covered , now with that said, we have hovered the Drone for 26 minutes with the vents closed and did not get any kind of error message on the controller on the drone. So were not stressing on the Vent enclosures as they still allow plenty of air coming thu but still managed to make it much harder for the Rain to get inside of the vents.

Reactions: Ghost Driver
I have tried to ask this question before without success so I will try again. In a humid environment, the moist air will enter in through the vents and I assume there will be condensation on the inside. Does anyone know, or have experience on whether the internal components are sealed, or coated to prevent corrosion, or worse, short circuits internally?

Reactions: mnis
I have tried to ask this question before without success so I will try again. In a humid environment, the moist air will enter in through the vents and I assume there will be condensation on the inside. Does anyone know, or have experience on whether the internal components are sealed, or coated to prevent corrosion, or worse, short circuits internally?

Here is what we know, there used to be a spray coating that could just about water proof your Circuit boards and it was a tremendous success, earlier videos of the Phantom 3 working underwater started popping up everywhere using that spray.

The manufacturer was shut down, as the spray was considered highly flammable and is no longer sold in the US.
WIth that said , the fact that we can keep the Phantom flying while submerged in the water says volumes about that issue.

Thus condensation is not an issue to be concerned with but getting water inside the battery is the weakest link and was the sole cause to make the wet suit for it.
Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor.

Here is what we know, there used to be a spray coating that could just about water proof your Circuit boards and it was a tremendous success, earlier videos of the Phantom 3 working underwater started popping up everywhere using that spray.

The manufacturer was shut down, as the spray was considered highly flammable and is no longer sold in the US.
WIth that said , the fact that we can keep the Phantom flying while submerged in the water says volumes about that issue.

Thus condensation is not an issue to be concerned with but getting water inside the battery is the weakest link and was the sole cause to make the wet suit for it.
Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor.

Thanks for your response. I guess I am not yet totally convinced. Do you know if anyone has done testing in humid environments, specifically longer term testing because I believe that corrosion problems would take an extended time and repeated exposure to manifest.

Reactions: mnis
Thanks for your response. I guess I am not yet totally convinced. Do you know if anyone has done testing in humid environments, specifically longer term testing because I believe that corrosion problems would take an extended time and repeated exposure to manifest.

Sometimes its just knowing that you did everything you could to protect your Mavic 2 and get the shots with confidence .
We just got this sent to us from a client.. using the Mavic Wet Suit,

Lets get the one for the pro on the market..{how bout it}

? If you have a wrap on bird can you install over it?

? If you have a wrap on bird can you install over it?

Yes we just had a client that sent us this and I thought it looked pretty good, , great idea with the wrap under.

We have the Mavic Pro Wet Suit finished , but I cannot release it until we have an actual Rain storm to test it in.

Pouring glasses of water over it is not the same as actual rain pouring down and hovering in it .

Once it gets past the 26 minute hover test , than we will feel comfortable releasing it.

The 26 minute hover test is brutal , much harder on the drone than flying it . so its coming.

Thank you for your interest.
phantomrain.org

2019012795181654.jpg

2019012795181715.jpg

Again, you couldn't answer Camino Ken's simple question and just reeled off a load of unrelated gibberish.

Then tries to change the subject with a video he says a client sent to him - but in reality, he just copied the link from post number 78 of this thread.

Well, at least he's using a spell checker now. I'm just wondering how long before this thread gets deleted like all the other's that question his product.

PhantomRain will be glad to know, I'm not going to try anymore to wake people up, so he can carry on ripping people off in peace.

Reactions: mnis and Rnl
AMP: Personally, I think that post was uncalled for. I saw absolutely no "unrelated gibberish." These folks are proud of what they've accomplished and clearly, if an M2 can hover for almost half an hour in the pouring rain, how much more can you ask for? The whole point of the product is to protect the bird long enough to get back "home" when confronted with an unexpected rain shower, it is not designed to fly purposefully into a downpour (although it looks like it would survive just fine if you did.)

Secondly, there's no way for you to know if a client sent him the link to that clip but it sure seems reasonable to me and he certainly wouldn't post a link to a clip that was NOT from someone using his product. Otherwise, the company would risk being found dishonest and frankly, I don't see the upside to that. And BTW, the post you referred to where he "copied" the link was from Serr8ed who wrote a review and seems to be quite happy with the product.

I wonder, do you criticize every poster who makes typographical or spelling errors? I sure haven't seen those posts if you do so why are you being so rude to this individual?

As for KC's question about humidity and long-term exposure, how could PR answer that? If a drone dies from long-term high humidity on the electronics, how could someone determine the failure was specifically due to humidity? I live in South Texas where the relative humidity is nearly always above 80 percent and quite often near 100 percent. My M1 has lived in this environment for going on three years and she still works perfectly. Is that long enough for you to determine that humidity will not kill a drone?

So as I said previously, could we please have some civility here?

My sincere apologies if I made any typos or grammatical errors.

Last edited:
PhantomRain will be glad to know, I'm not going to try anymore to wake people up, so he can carry on ripping people off in peace.
Well if he ain't I am and you right your not going to be posting in this no more .
I don't have the time to go through all this and read it but do hear this .
Anymore that are not interested and just want to bash this vender really think before you post
as I am tired of the nonsense and will deal with you accordingly .
Have an issue with that write me or an Admin but thats it.

Got a legitimate question then ask it if not move on .

Reactions: Mrveronn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54