DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone disconnected from my mavic pro

jason38

Reactions
Hi guys,
I did a flight today and got a strange issue..
I was flying near a little Cliff, about 200ft from.my position, and less than 1500ft height. I was doing a travelling along that Cliff and I lost connection with my MP sudently... Si I stopped any action on the contrôler, waiting for the automatic RTH, but nothing was goin on...
I saw that my RC was still connected to the drone , and the telemetric datas was showing that the MP was climbing when I throttle up, so I still had control on it, but still no way to reconnect my phone to see what was happening...
I checked the connections wire ... Nothing
I restarted the app..still deconnected..
So, I hit the RTH Button on the RC, and the MP came back.. HOPEFULLY!!
I setted correctly the RTH parameters just before flying...hopefully again!

Even when the MP was in front of me, no way to reconnect the app..
To solve that issue I had to shut down app, MP and RC...
I flew again right after , did the same travelling along that Cliff , and came back manually with no other issue...

Never seen that yet, I guess the app freezes?
Someone already had this problem?

Reactions: hopeless128
That is why you need to fly VLOS, because this DOES happen, and the only way to solve it is via rebooting the craft. I’m pretty sure 1,500 feet up is not VLOS, because you couldn’t control it and had to pray that RTH would work.

Yes the app is crappy and yes, you can still control the drone without the app so learn how to position it and bring it back simply by understanding the telemetry info on the RC (mostly distance from you). Typically what works is reconnecting the USB cable and restarting the app. Remember it's a drone so even if you need to take a minute to do that it will just sit there and wait..

This is one huge asset the Mavic has over the P4, in that you are still given a great digital readout on the controller. No compass, but you can still figure out, battery, distance, speed and with those you can always have a chance to get home.

Back to first OP, when you get such a disconnect, just reboot the app, i.e. reboot your device. Most times the app will come back and pick right back up. Worst case, you still have the RTH button on controller and pause button to stop it when the craft comes in close and is not going to land in the right spot. As long as the controller is showing connection reboot your iPad, android etc is not an issue.

BTW same issues occur at random for me with the Crystalsky.

Paul Caldwell

Yep, I was very nearly VLOS, but from my point of view I was unable to see it (the little black point in the sky), because it was "in" the Cliff...

It the first time it crashes like that, I already experienced a screen freeze, which was solved by restart the app or disconnect/reconnect the wire...
So I was very very nervous at this moment, and I did the mistake to play with the left stick to see if the MP was responding (from the RC screen), so I didnt know after that if the MP was facing the Cliff or was in another position... Thats why I tried to make it climb first, to be sure it cant hit the Cliff...

Until this action, you can be pretty sure that I'll always set the RTH parameters before flight, as I usually do, but I was thinking it was ...useless... [emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]
And staying calm, first... :)

Thanks for sharing your expérience about that guys!

By the way, why DJI does not added the heading feature to the RC screen! Could be very useful ... And it could allow us to do some IFR flights! [emoji16][emoji16]

Reactions: hopeless128
Anybody have a solution to solve that problem ?

Because I flew 3 times since that issue appear for the first time, and it does that again the last time I flew...hopefuly I was flying just above my home ...
Now I'm really scared to fly my mavic because of this...

Is it a antenna problem, or OccySync? Maybe should I change any part inside the mavic(motherboard....)
My mavic never crashed yet, I always store it or fly it really safely...
Just to know, is this issue known on Apple devices?

Anybody have a solution to solve that problem ?

Because I flew 3 times since that issue appear for the first time, and it does that again the last time I flew...hopefuly I was flying just above my home ...
Now I'm really scared to fly my mavic because of this...

Is it a antenna problem, or OccySync? Maybe should I change any part inside the mavic(motherboard....)
My mavic never crashed yet, I always store it or fly it really safely...
Just to know, is this issue known on Apple devices?

The Android app is ... not great. I ended up getting an older iphone just to fly the drone, it's not bulletproof but seems to work better.

one easy solution if you haven't try:
Use compressed air to clean all cables AND RC connectors

App crash...where to begin...
• Check cable connectors or change cable.
• Turn off all other apps.
• Run phone in airplane mode.
• Clean up phone storage.
• Disable caching to phone.
• Reformat or change SD card.
• Update/downgrade Go 4 to a version that is more stable for your phone. Then turn off auto-updating so you control changes.

You might consider installing Litchi or other control app so you have an alternative to Go 4.

Reactions: jason38
App crash...where to begin...
• Check cable connectors or change cable.
• Turn off all other apps.
• Run phone in airplane mode.
• Clean up phone storage.
• Disable caching to phone.
• Reformat or change SD card.
• Update/downgrade Go 4 to a version that is more stable for your phone. Then turn off auto-updating so you control changes.

You might consider installing Litchi or other control app so you have an alternative to Go 4.

Thank you for that checklist
However I already change the conection cable, even tryied to connect with a standard USB cable from the rc bottom instead of the side little cable, my phone is dedicated to GO4 app, nothing else is installed on it, I always run GO app in airplane mode, the phone caching is disabled since my first flight (because of very very lagging video return) ...
The only thing I need to test is delete all DJI GO4 app folders in my phone and reinstall it.
I had no issues like that a few weeks ago, before some app updates. I'll try to uninstall it but I wanted to know the way to recover a older version of the app. I mean, if I DL it again, it will install the latest version automatically?

I wanted to install Litchi app... but it's payware!! Didn't expect that... But it worth the price...better than the price of a new Mavic Pro I guess...

Last edited:
...I had no issues like that a few weeks ago, before some app updates...
That is the key to your problem, an app update that does not work with your setup. The same thing happened to me; worked one day and did not work the next. An automatic update of Go 4 got me. It may take some experimenting to get the right combination of OS and Go 4 to get stable again and then turn off auto-updating.

Last edited:
Reactions: jason38
Do you know if there are same issues using CrystalSky?
I wonder if I'd better to buy that stuff...
Personally, I would not spend that kind of money for a monitor (but I am a cheap SOB). There seems to be fewer problems with an iPad but I have no personal experience with that. You can read through 12 pages of the "Wundertablet" thread to see if that would work for you.

Regarding Litchi, it is only $25 US and you can get that refunded within 2 hours of purchase if it does not work for you (so don't buy unless you can try).

Yep, that's what I was telling me... so expensive!
thanks for the link ;)
OK for Litchi I'll think about that and try it...
Tank you so much Mossiblack for sharing your experience.
I did 2 flights today , after having cleared all cached files on the phone (being surprise that there were more than 500Mb of "temporary" preview files on the phone) like someone told me to do in another thread, and it seems to works again perfectly... I'll try more local flies to be sure...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roland Brian