DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone Holder Mounting Style: Bolt-on Versus Clamp

Auggie

Reactions
I finally got my M2P yesterday and although I also bought the Smart Controller (separately, arriving today), I want to still be able to use the stock controller when desired but discovered I can't get my iPhone 12 with thick Otterbox to fit within the clamps (not to mention getting the Lightning cable to reach out to plug-in).

So I started looking at various mounts and noticed two different styles: one that fits in the stock clamps and the other that bolts on.

I know this may be very subjective, but what seems to be the most preferred style, and which mount are you using? I'm leaning to a universal phone and tablet mount so I can maybe throw on an iPad Mini if I decide to go that route (or a CrystalSky 7.85; I'm old and crusty and now far-sighted so I need the biggest, brightest screen possible).

It's been raining here in SoCal and I live next to a MCAS so I haven't been able to do my first flight yet.

I finally got my M2P yesterday and although I also bought the Smart Controller (separately, arriving today), I want to still be able to use the stock controller when desired but discovered I can't get my iPhone 12 with thick Otterbox to fit within the clamps (not to mention getting the Lightning cable to reach out to plug-in).

So I started looking at various mounts and noticed two different styles: one that fits in the stock clamps and the other that bolts on.

I know this may be very subjective, but what seems to be the most preferred style, and which mount are you using? I'm leaning to a universal phone and tablet mount so I can maybe throw on an iPad Mini if I decide to go that route (or a CrystalSky 7.85; I'm old and crusty and now far-sighted so I need the biggest, brightest screen possible).

It's been raining here in SoCal and I live next to a MCAS so I haven't been able to do my first flight yet.
I recently got a pre owned M2P as I wanted more portability that my P4P. It came with a Mavmount v3 and clamp for typical sized phones. I'm older too and prefer to fly my P4P with the iPad Air 2. I bought a larger clamp and set that up on the Mavmount. It's a little difficult to get the balance right since the controller is so small (compared to the P4P controller. I have a hood for the iPad that works pretty good. Only flown a couple times around the yard so far, been very windy here in upstate NY as winter and spring are still battling it out. I think I will get used to the setup tho.

Reactions: Auggie
My iPhone 12 case prob isn’t as thick as an Otter Box But I use something like this and it works perfect. I don’t have this exact one but it’s similar. Just search “DJI tilt stand bracket for phone/tablet” in Amazon and several varieties pop up??A82638C6-5C61-4D15-8491-7426E7D7848E.jpeg

Reactions: Auggie
My iPhone 12 case prob isn’t as thick as an Otter Box But I use something like this and it works perfect. I don’t have this exact one but it’s similar. Just search “DJI tilt stand bracket for phone/tablet” in Amazon and several varieties pop up??View attachment 125739

I like that style!

What I discovered yesterday during my very first drone flight ever, was that on a bright day, I don't think any iOS device would be bright enough for my needs. It was hard for me to see the terrain clearly on my Smart Controller, but at the time, I had set it to automatically adjust the brightness, which wasn't bright enough (I couldn't figure out how to get to the proper settings section during flight ops to change the brightness to manual, so I had to wait until I got home to figure out how). Trying to read the manual on my iPhone was too hard because its brightness was not bright enough in the sun. Hence, I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't be using any iOS device to fly my drone.

I've read threads that suggest using certain Android devices for their brighter screens or maybe a Tripltek Pro, but I think since I'm already starting off with a Smart Controller, the only real upgrade in terms of relative brightness is splurging on the uber expensive CrystalSky 7.85" Ultra Brightness...

In the meantime, with my Smart Controller now set to manual brightness and cranked up to the max, I hope that improves it enough for my present needs. I do have a TinyRigs Smart Control Screen Guard with Neck Strap on the way from China if a hood would help further, but it'll take awhile before it gets here on the slow trip from the Far East.

Anywho, the reason brightness and the ability to see the broadcast video on the screen is so important to me is that my primary intended use for my drone is for filming my overlanding and off-roading adventures which will be mostly in the dusty, hot locales in the South West of California, Arizona, and Nevada...

You have probably read by now that a number of people in hot climates complain about Apple devices turning off because of overheating while flying in direct sun.

A lot of people use sun shade/covers for flying in direct sunlight, I use one with my Andorid phone and it helps a lot to see the screen. My phone comes in about 450 nits (brightness).
I believe the smart controller is about 1000 nits.

I looked and there are a number of inexpensive sun shades for the smart controller.

also being far sighted... I have a funky set up that I wear reading glasses, with another pair of sunglasses nestled on top.. I need the clear reading glasses to see the screen, and sunglasses to see the drone when it is bright out.

Last edited: