DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo Burst mode settings

rustysteel

Reactions
I often use the 3 or 5 shot burst mode when photographing moving objects. However, sometimes i find the shots are too close together. Is there a way to adjust the length of time between exposures in the burst mode?

I often use the 3 or 5 shot burst mode when photographing moving objects. However, sometimes i find the shots are too close together. Is there a way to adjust the length of time between exposures in the burst mode?
Try AEB- or bracket and take each shot at your own pace

As far as I know in burst you are stuck with 3 or 5 frames shot quickly at DJI's preprogrammed rate.Seems to me that unlike DSLR'S the interval between shots is the same in 3 or 5.Not sure what above poster means on AEB.You can of course keep pressing shutter button each time you want a photo but I'm not sure how fast you can do it.

Is there a way to adjust the length of time between exposures in the burst mode?

Sadly there's no way to change that. I contacted DJI several times about this topic, but there's no response other than their usual "we'll look into it" that really just means "we don't care". No idea why it is asked too much to let the user set the burst mode interval.

Reactions: rustysteel
Sadly there's no way to change that. I contacted DJI several times about this topic, but there's no response other than their usual "we'll look into it" that really just means "we don't care". No idea why it is asked too much to let the user set the burst mode interval.
Here's a possible reason...........no real competition?

While I'm complaining why on earth does the frame counter only go to 999?

Thanks all. I was hoping to maybe space out the interval to a bit longer than what it is set at currently, approx 1 frame per second would be ideal. The current lag if you were to press the shutter for each shot is about 3 seconds per shot, at least for me, so would be nice for something in between.

Thanks all. I was hoping to maybe space out the interval to a bit longer than what it is set at currently, approx 1 frame per second would be ideal. The current lag if you were to press the shutter for each shot is about 3 seconds per shot, at least for me, so would be nice for something in between.

I am with you...... My own testing revealed that the average shutter lag of my DJI Mavic Pro 2 is about 1.2 seconds. When I try to shoot moving objects (trains) I need to guess the time to the perfect position and push the button 1.2 seconds prior to passing the point where I would like to have the photo taken. Unfortunately the shutter lag varies between 1.0 and 1.5 seconds, so a precise calculation is virtually impossible to make.

The burst mode might be the solution to the problem, as it could take shots just before, right on target and just after passing the desired point. But at this time the spacing between de five images is about 0,07 seconds each. This means I will get 5 photos within 0.3 seconds. But as the shutter has a 0.5 second margin and my guessed timing may be 0.5 seconds off too, it may well be that I get all photos well before or well after passing the intended photo point.

If DJI would allow the burst interval to be chosen in a menu, it would be possible to select a 0.25 second interval. This would make my success rate go up significantly, and help me get at least one decent shot during every burst. After all a 0.25 second spacing would cover a full second of coverage. And while a 0.25 interval might be just what I need, I can imagine that other people need an even longer interval. So a custom burst interval setting might solve two problems at the same time.

I am with you...... My own testing revealed that the average shutter lag of my DJI Mavic Pro 2 is about 1.2 seconds. When I try to shoot moving objects (trains) I need to guess the time to the perfect position and push the button 1.2 seconds prior to passing the point where I would like to have the photo taken. Unfortunately the shutter lag varies between 1.0 and 1.5 seconds, so a precise calculation is virtually impossible to make.

The burst mode might be the solution to the problem, as it could take shots just before, right on target and just after passing the desired point. But at this time the spacing between de five images is about 0,07 seconds each. This means I will get 5 photos within 0.3 seconds. But as the shutter has a 0.5 second margin and my guessed timing may be 0.5 seconds off too, it may well be that I get all photos well before or well after passing the intended photo point.

If DJI would allow the burst interval to be chosen in a menu, it would be possible to select a 0.25 second interval. This would make my success rate go up significantly, and help me get at least one decent shot during every burst. After all a 0.25 second spacing would cover a full second of coverage. And while a 0.25 interval might be just what I need, I can imagine that other people need an even longer interval. So a custom burst interval setting might solve two problems at the same time.
Agreed! I also am an avid railroad photographer. Sometimes the delay seems to vary and i use the burst mode to help bridge that gap. Even with a fast memory card there is also the downtime during the file save. Doing the multiple burst lengthens that as well.
I have lost a lot of cool shots because of that delay and would love to see that addressed. DOH!!!

Attachments

• DJI_0262 small.jpg
    DJI_0262 small.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

I am spoiled by my Olympus camera.1 frame per second to 18 frames per sec settable with autofocus.Don't need continuous AF on the drone.With focus locked it can do up to 60 frames per second!And the buffer is huge.Oh well.

Agreed! I also am an avid railroad photographer. Sometimes the delay seems to vary and i use the burst mode to help bridge that gap. Even with a fast memory card there is also the downtime during the file save. Doing the multiple burst lengthens that as well.
I have lost a lot of cool shots because of that delay and would love to see that addressed. DOH!!!
Have you tried shooting video at 30 frames per second and extracting a still image.Here's 3 shots I would have had a hard time getting with the limited burst.They were shot at about 1/1000 sec in video

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpeg
    1 (1).jpeg
    736.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1 (2).jpeg
    1 (2).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 11
Have you tried shooting video at 30 frames per second and extracting a still image.Here's 3 shots I would have had a hard time getting with the limited burst.They were shot at about 1/1000 sec in video
Thats a great suggestion. I typically shoot phtos in RAW format, but extracting a video frame may be the way to go for high speed situations.
Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: offtheback
Thats a great suggestion. I typically shoot phtos in RAW format, but extracting a video frame may be the way to go for high speed situations.
Thanks for the tip!
Let us know how that works for you.On a Mac I get a 40MB Tiff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J