DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo IQ

MJ224

Reactions
First couple of flights with the Mini 2, and a bit disappointed with the photo IQ.

I wonder how much better the Mini 3 is.

Not the best of weather, dull and cloudy here in South Wales.

This seriously PP'd, probably OK for the money......??

Attachments

• DJI_0087-Edit (Large).jpg
    DJI_0087-Edit (Large).jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 115
So, what is the specific technical issue? And what is the PP?

So, what is the specific technical issue? And what is the PP?
Post Processing. ie sharpening, getting rid of noise etc.

Just out of the camera quality is not particularly good, but the day was not the best....

Am unsure whether the 48mp cameras would do a lot better...

Just asking for opinions,..:=_

Post Processing. ie sharpening, getting rid of noise etc.

Just out of the camera quality is not particularly good, but the day was not the best....

Am unsure whether the 48mp cameras would do a lot better...

Just asking for opinions,..:=_
I understand post processing, but I thought "PP'd" was short for some unprintable explicative. Written out words are so much better then letter shortcuts.
So, do you have a technical issue with your original images?

First couple of flights with the Mini 2, and a bit disappointed with the photo IQ.

Disappointed compared to what? I get the feeling that you expect image quality similar to a dSLR with a high quality glass lens and large sensor. I am ex-photographer and actually quite impressed with the quality from these small sensor drones with a "toy" plastic lens.

Reactions: dgibbphoto
Yes, I was comparing to the Mavik Air (1).

Having processed the photos,( yes I am an amateur Wildlife Photographer), they are as good as can be expected, especially with the dim light today.

What I was really after was a comparison to the Mini 3 48mp camera.....

Thanks for CC...

3D view from Maps Made Easy...no complaints here...

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Here's a sample from the mini3p shot with fairly dull light too, for comparison. It was shot raw and run thru lightroom, with a bit of highlight/shadows balancing, sharpeneing, denoising, colour balancing etc.

Note this was shot at the default 12mp rather than the 48mp setting. 48mp only tends to give much of an improvement when lighting is quite good, and can also end up with purple fringing on very high contrast areas. It's an artefact of demosaicing and not typical chromatic abberation. I mostly use the 12mp setting as it typically gives better image quality.

I had a mini1 prior to this, which has the same camera hardware as the mini2 (mini2 firmware gives you raw stills and 4k video) and I find there's a noticable improvement in image quality with the mini3p.

Attachments

• DJI_0405.jpg
    DJI_0405.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 58
Thanks Scro. I think probably the 12mp is going to work with reasonable lighting. I was not aware of the dual function of the mini 3 camera, I was cautious that 48mp could be squeezed into such a tiny camera.

I'll stick with the mini 2. Thanks all for inpuy..

Here's a sample from the mini3p shot with fairly dull light too, for comparison. It was shot raw and run thru lightroom, with a bit of highlight/shadows balancing, sharpeneing, denoising, colour balancing etc.

Note this was shot at the default 12mp rather than the 48mp setting. 48mp only tends to give much of an improvement when lighting is quite good, and can also end up with purple fringing on very high contrast areas. It's an artefact of demosaicing and not typical chromatic abberation. I mostly use the 12mp setting as it typically gives better image quality.

I had a mini1 prior to this, which has the same camera hardware as the mini2 (mini2 firmware gives you raw stills and 4k video) and I find there's a noticable improvement in image quality with the mini3p.
Looks great! The Mini 3 camera is definitely better in low light than the Mini 1 and 2 because of its wider f/1.7 aperture and larger 1/1.3" sensor, and the 12mp mode reduces apparent noise.

Thanks Roger. I have used the mini 2 in better light today, and attached is part one photo, part of a mosaic I do for the local nature reserve. The results are Ok, I do use RAW and process with DXO, Lightroom, and Topaz...(Heavy stuff) Results are acceptable..:)

Attachments

• DJI_0006-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME (Large).jpg
    DJI_0006-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME (Large).jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 34

Not the best of weather, dull and cloudy here in South Wales.

This seriously PP'd, probably OK for the money......??
As far as the "48" megapixel mode with the mini 3 pro, it's still captured with a 12mp sensor, but compared to the quad Bayer sensors in other drones, the mini 3 pro's is leaps and bounds better. I don't know what kind of black magic hoodoo DJI have crammed into the camera firmware, but the quality is amazing. What's even more amazing is the fact that it kicks out the shot as a DNG (if you set capture to JPG+RAW) which is a joy to work on with a RAW editor. On top of that the sensor is less than a quarter of an inch smaller than the Air2S (0.77" as opposed to 1") with 2.4 micron photosites.

Reactions: MJ224

Wow... A brilliant photo. Where is that? Gorgeous lighting.

Reactions: scro
Thanks Scro. I think probably the 12mp is going to work with reasonable lighting. I was not aware of the dual function of the mini 3 camera, I was cautious that 48mp could be squeezed into such a tiny camera.

I'll stick with the mini 2. Thanks all for inpuy..
The more megapixels your camera has, the more noise that it picks up too, when light is not optimal. That is one thing that many people don't seem to realize.

Yes, I was comparing to the Mavik Air (1).

Having processed the photos,( yes I am an amateur Wildlife Photographer), they are as good as can be expected, especially with the dim light today.

What I was really after was a comparison to the Mini 3 48mp camera.....

Thanks for CC...

3D view from Maps Made Easy...no complaints here...
That is excellent. Is it just the software that can create that from Maps Made Easy or is it a special camera as well?

Wow... A brilliant photo. Where is that? Gorgeous lighting.
Thanks! This is Stirling Castle in central Scotland. A fascinating place, steeped in history! I hadn't really given this photo much attention until now, and I've grown to really like it too! Reposted in the photos/videos area so more folks can enjoy it :)

That is excellent. Is it just the software that can create that from Maps Made Easy or is it a special camera as well?
Mostly the software, but of course, you need photos that overlap sufficiently. Any photos will do, nowt special about the Mini 2's camera. The mapping software is very good, but software like Litchi does the job collecting photos with sufficient overlaps. I use Litchi because I bought it years ago, but there are several/many other flying software that will do the trick...

As far as the "48" megapixel mode with the mini 3 pro, it's still captured with a 12mp sensor, but compared to the quad Bayer sensors in other drones, the mini 3 pro's is leaps and bounds better. I don't know what kind of black magic hoodoo DJI have crammed into the camera firmware, but the quality is amazing. What's even more amazing is the fact that it kicks out the shot as a DNG (if you set capture to JPG+RAW) which is a joy to work on with a RAW editor. On top of that the sensor is less than a quarter of an inch smaller than the Air2S (0.77" as opposed to 1") with 2.4 micron photosites.
Thanks Felix, a very informative reply. I am actually amazed the little 12mp camera does so well...:)

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky