DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photos taken with new DJI ND 8 filter

born2drone

Reactions
My latest photos taken with new filter; the very bright white areas are now gone and my photos and video does not look overexposed
32feff7cd38659acfe23796ef6ee0632.jpg
85011a5c38b64b7e5f27308c470ea789.jpg
6e2f42be99b4fe2b0f759e3854159b4b.jpg
ec776e97835b534592a1f38fec89addd.jpg
c5681457b852887fcb00bc7e0fef63f9.jpg

Reactions: scott5689
Now here are the same photos with light balance slightly adjusted to compensate for the darker image due to the UV filter (next time I will do the adjustment on the camera settings)
0142a5200bceb1b570bbd8d35e139d0a.jpg
31df133d5e208f7c24220f4531e6d279.jpg
d9c4dbc94513dd2ab62101c5b410e7ad.jpg

Thanks, but still not happy so have swapped to ND 4 filter so will try that out. Experiment Experiment until it works...

I don't see much point deliberately using an ND for photos.
On a moving platform slowing the shutter isn't likely to help much.
The purpose of the ND on a Mavic is primarily to slow the shutter in video which might give a more pleasing fluid motion.
Often there will be some degree of color shift introduced which might be fixable with software but can be tricky.

Reactions: born2drone
I mostly use the ND filter because of the very bright sun we get here (most of the time and can be very bright already around 5 am); we don’t have daylight savings so it is sunny very early in the morning already.

Same shot, with 4, 8, 16 etc would be good to see.
I want to test mine sometime, bit of a pain powering down, refit clamp, swap filters, power up again between, but will be good to see the effects on photos and video shot consecutively, as close as possible in position and flight modes / path.

Last 3 looking much better without washed out UV look; some people will argue here they can adjust camera settings, but now that I have the filter fitted, I can rather concentrate on video snippets and or photos, but I know the quality is now so much better.

Same shot, with 4, 8, 16 etc would be good to see.
I want to test mine sometime, bit of a pain powering down, refit clamp, swap filters, power up again between, but will be good to see the effects on photos and video shot consecutively, as close as possible in position and flight modes / path.

I know what you mean to make a comparison; here is a shot I took in the harbour, first one without filter...see the white surfaces almost overpowering along with the sky, then taken with filter; just clean clear shot;
5ccbb741c6905da93a4fe58c1650defd.jpg

9779bf07cafccd2d62a076168f7cd8f7.jpg

I keep my filter on, an ND16 I think. Certainly there is no need for just photos, but with it on I have the best of both worlds?

Unless I go back and shoot it all again as the same angle (then still not guaranteed it is the same light conditions as before) but I think you can see how more toned down the second shot is and you can make out the sky no not so white
092c7ba7547e33352252d3a9719f1ace.jpg

I know what you mean to make a comparison; here is a shot I took in the harbour, first one without filter...see the white surfaces almost overpowering along with the sky, then taken with filter; just clean clear shot;

Thanks B2D, that takes the edge off for sure.

I keep my filter on, an ND16 I think. Certainly there is no need for just photos, but with it on I have the best of both worlds?

I've been doing this (ND16) for late arvo videos, seems to work right down to sunset ok . . . next I will try others as comparo, and check all shutter numbers to frame rate . . . it's hard as light diminishes so fast and light will be slightly different of course.
Maybe a mid day test would be better, even test the #64.

Will also test NDs with water stills (waves, tide wash) to see if they can help with smooth water blur etc.

A quick play with your washed out photo. I'm sure by closing up the lens a bit you could've got a good shot. Have you tried with the histogram on and zebra on?Yacht.jpg

A quick play with your washed out photo. I'm sure by closing up the lens a bit you could've got a good shot. Have you tried with the histogram on and zebra on?View attachment 28226

Yep, there is a lot you can do afterwords with Photoshop or similar program, but the less editing I have to do after the shot has been taken, the better for me; not sure others will agree, but whilst you can snap away in digital photography, I quickly grow tired of shifting through a million photos for that great shot; if you don’t mind me saying so, after you have adjusted the shot the sky is still too overexposed

Yeah mate I'm hearing ya! You cant polish a turd!!!
But do try the histogram and zebra, there's a few tutes for that on YT.

A quick play with your washed out photo. I'm sure by closing up the lens a bit you could've got a good shot. Have you tried with the histogram on and zebra on?View attachment 28226
The aperture is fixed and you can only adjust the shutter and ISO hence the need for ND filters in bright light.
I have also seen a graduated ND which could be useful for stark contrast between sky and land, I have used them on DSLR and they take some getting used to, drone would be harder especially for video.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin