DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photos while moving?

scoobie77

Reactions
I need to photograph a moving boat. Can I fly with the boat and snap pictures, or should I remain in one place and just let the boat pass by?

Can I fly with the boat and snap pictures?
Hmm .. let me think about that ....
DJI_0785aa-L.jpg

Yes you can ... either method works.
But if you are asking about shooting the boat, from onboard the boat, it's more complicated that land based flyers can imagine and requires a good amount of experience.
Flying from a fixed point is a lot easier.

If you mean the photography itself (regardless of where you are flying from), the difference will be in what you need.

• A good static capture of the boat (like Meta's shot above), with lots of light (no ND filter) and a fast shutter speed. can be had either way (while the drone is moving or stationary).
  • A nice action shot is effective, but harder to shoot. This is where you move with the boat trying to match it's speed and shoot with a slower shutter speed. The idea here is that you want to freeze the boat (more or less sharp) while purposefully having a slow enough shutter speed to give the water some motion blur. The amount of blur (and the sharpness of the boat) may take some experimenting. If there's too much light, stop down your aperture. If the stopped down aperture isn't enough to slow the shutter speed down, use an ND filter. Shooting from the side will cause the water to be moving faster, so easier to get motion blur.

Chris

If you are closer to the boat, then move with the boat and take the shot as you fly. Watch what you shutter speed is, make sure it is in the higher region. If you match the boats speed, or close to it, then you are having much less motion going on of the subject (the Boat), than if you just stayed put and let the boat pass you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13