DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Piece of CRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the old RC days, the controller turned on first, the aircraft should be started last, because if there is an issue, you should already have a CONTROLLER active, and able to control the aircraft..
App???What App, whats an App??....

Reactions: chazzm and Clinton1
try Ipad, Get away from your metal roof on your house, your car/truck, your driveway with rebar in it and so on. that was my first big issue, couldn't calibrate when i got mine cuz of the roof.
I am betting its the phone your using. borrow a friends ipad 4 and up. , and welcome to the forum and don't give up !
Jeff

I think that the biggest problem with the Mavic is the enormous amount of variation which is introduced when using a 3rd party device, of various brand, software, and condition, to provide much of the control. Having first flown my Mavic on an android handset which was clearly not up to the task, I can understand that its not a great first experience when things arn't working as expected (and as written in the manual).

Although DJI do have the CrystalSky monitors, adding this to the shopping list does start to stretch the budget for most on this kind of thing.

A new android handset later, I couldn't be happier with my Mavic. -- but my first experiences were many updates, and a very power thirsty app which won't work well on your old phone!

I think that the biggest problem with the Mavic is the enormous amount of variation which is introduced when using a 3rd party device, of various brand, software, and condition, to provide much of the control. Having first flown my Mavic on an android handset which was clearly not up to the task, I can understand that its not a great first experience when things arn't working as expected (and as written in the manual).

Although DJI do have the CrystalSky monitors, adding this to the shopping list does start to stretch the budget for most on this kind of thing.

A new android handset later, I couldn't be happier with my Mavic. -- but my first experiences were many updates, and a very power thirsty app which won't work well on your old phone!
I have the 5.5" Crystal Sky, nice having a very bright screen but it also has many drawbacks, mainly not having "Google Play Services" & "Google Play Store" so Litchi App can be used. getting back to the OP's original message things MUST be followed in specific sequences to obtain success, Learned this the hard way while getting used to Photoshop CC, many, many effects are possible if you follow instructions to the T. Patience is a virtue developed not endowed;)

Reactions: Advexure
I can understand the frustration when something doesn't work the way you believe it should.
I am no IT professional or Engineer. That's why I routinely seek help when needed from forums like this. Most often, the solution can be found using the search function. When specific help is needed, I find people really go out of their way to help.
But it's logical to see why coming to a forum about a specific product and calling it a piece of crap with no request for help or mention of the problems could be met with some sarcasm.

And my Mavic works great. It doesn't like my kitchen (magnetic interference), but besides that works great.

The OP hasn't come back?

Probably enjoying flying two Mavic Pros at the same time.

fyi everyone, after 2 hours on hold with the phone support (and also being placed in que 3 times while trying to use the 'live text support',) I have an answer for everyone. According to their lead tech, the software app doesn't support the google pixel phone, as it was written 2 years ago and is not designed for any new android phones, as it only works with 3 android phones- but he couldn't tell me which ones. So- what do you know- it is not user error- it is a defective app. Hope this helps.

fyi everyone, after 2 hours on hold with the phone support (and also being placed in que 3 times while trying to use the 'live text support',) I have an answer for everyone. According to their lead tech, the software app doesn't support the google pixel phone, as it was written 2 years ago and is not designed for any new android phones, as it only works with 3 android phones- but he couldn't tell me which ones. So- what do you know- it is not user error- it is a defective app. Hope this helps.
That's odd. I've heard of people flying with pixel. My friend has pixel XL on android 8.1 and it works great, but I guess pixel is the smaller device. If you have any other tablets or old phones, give them a try. Yes, the android support is quite bad. Once you find a device that works well you will love the mavic. It's amazing.

You got some partially bad information there... Here's a CURRENT list of DJI approved devices ~certainly more than three Android devices listed there:

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

You simply got an representative that took the easy (and incorrect) way out. Because DJI does not "officially" support a device does not mean that the app won't work just fine on it.

I'm guessing that you came to this forum for some type of answer but you are not really giving much information for anyone to assist you with. Lacking any real answers/assistance on your end, I'm not sure you will get any decent information.

Like I said earlier, turn on USB debugging on the pixel and try again. It might fix your problem.

Bull. The app is updated frequently and works with all kinds of recent Android phones. And how does that explain your two iPhones not working?

And why do you have four cellphones and two Mavics?

Regardless, I'll take one of your Mavics off your hands for $50. I know a guy who'll give me $100 for it.

You installed firmware without being able to connect the display device? That must have been difficult.

You turn on the Mavic and then the controlled. The controller connects to the Mavic. You then plus in the phone. Do you get a message wanting to launch the Go 4 app? What happens at this point?
Methinks you are wasting your time. Beating a dead horse. Pissing in the wind. Etc.

What about the iPhones? Did he say why the iPhones don’t work?

Reactions: Youser

gandk452, I'm glad you're making progress in solving your problem. The Mavic is a kick*** quad, and It pains me to see folks unable to enjoy theirs. Persevere, it's worth the effort.

Reactions: Callum
DJI go and Go 4 worked with my first generation Pixel and it also works with my new Pixel 2. Zero issues.

You have done wonders for my electronic self esteem. I grew up when phones were attached to walls and Computers had their own buildings. I have a degree in a non technical field. I probably use a good 10% of the capability of my iPhone and MacBook. But I was able to get my piece of CRAP working in only one day! Yea me!

I see that you have had many people with a great deal of knowledge offer to help. That is commendable, and makes me feel even better about the members of this board. Because you didn't ask for help. You just walked into their house and took a CRAP on their carpet. Your results would probably be even better in the future if you started by saying that you were a frustrated member and could use some asstistance.

BTW, waiting two hours for tech support for a product like this THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS, shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

But I am old, and all of this may be incorrect. Except the "Yea me" part.

Why is anyone taking them seriously?

PEBKAC, please replace.

I am a computer idiot and pretty new to the drone market. Bought a Mavic did the youtube thing for hours before and since. Somehow I get stuff to work but it drives me nuts, I know it is me and ultilmately it all comes together but very frustrating. You have to stay with it and keep plugging.
i find go4 to be a PITA much happier with Litchi and it seems to tax my Android tablet less.
If a no patience type A old man like me can get to a good result there is a path that can be found by just about anyone.

mikemoose55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure