DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilots needed in Hawaii June/July

Chambleton

Reactions
Hi everyone! I’m a filmmaker, Sailor, Diver, Oceans Advocate, and Part 107 pilot and I’m looking for a few UAV pilots to come on an expedition in a few months to help film and survey plastic “Ghost Nets” in the Pacific off Oahu this summer. We, oceanvoyagesinstitute.org, have deployed 19 (so far) satellite trackers attached to Ghost Nets and have 4 large vessels ready to go pick them up. We will be documenting this expedition with Drones (possibly for a movie) and conducting additional surveys. A Part 107 certificate is preferred but not essential and proficiency with Litchi and DroneDeploy a bonus. Also, must be comfortable shooting from boats. It’s gonna be a really cool expedition and a chance to help our Oceans with your talents. Please msg me or contact me at [email protected]. Many Thanks!

Hi, I don’t really have a Youtube channel but there are some clips posted under my name. Some of my yacht footage can be seen on Vimeo. I’ve done quite a lot of drone filming from boats and filmed most of the Academy Award winning documentary “The Cove”. I’ve done 100’s of Litchi Missions and a bunch of DroneDeploy surveys. Using drones is definitely gonna be the ticket to covering large areas of Pacific Ocean. Yea, it’s gonna be amazing!

Reactions: Live LA
Hi everyone! I’m a filmmaker, Sailor, Diver, Oceans Advocate, and Part 107 pilot and I’m looking for a few UAV pilots to come on an expedition in a few months to help film and survey plastic “Ghost Nets” in the Pacific off Oahu this summer. We, oceanvoyagesinstitute.org, have deployed 19 (so far) satellite trackers attached to Ghost Nets and have 4 large vessels ready to go pick them up. We will be documenting this expedition with Drones (possibly for a movie) and conducting additional surveys. A Part 107 certificate is preferred but not essential and proficiency with Litchi and DroneDeploy a bonus. Also, must be comfortable shooting from boats. It’s gonna be a really cool expedition and a chance to help our Oceans with your talents. Please msg me or contact me at [email protected]. Many Thanks!

Wish I was in Hawaii !! Sounds like a blast.

I think you may need to re-evaluate your statement about not needing Part 107 certification. This does not seem to fall into the realm of purely recreational flying, so certification would be necessary.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Wish I was in Hawaii !! Sounds like a blast.

I think you may need to re-evaluate your statement about not needing Part 107 certification. This does not seem to fall into the realm of purely recreational flying, so certification would be necessary.
I’m not really expecting many non 107 responses and if a non 107 pilot wanted to come and shoot, we would be happy to accept footage as a donation to the non-profit. It’s a great experience!

I’m not really expecting many non 107 responses and if a non 107 pilot wanted to come and shoot, we would be happy to accept footage as a donation to the non-profit. It’s a great experience!
But thank you.?

Is this a supporting volunteer (cost sharing) opportunity? Sounds like a great project.

I am very interested and will email you...

Reactions: Chambleton
Anyone else following through with this? It's a great opportunity in many ways.

(edited) I believe this (one) position has been filled (someone I know!)

Last edited:
Hey Ya'll,

I thought I'd update you on this project. I did respond to this request and was interviewed by Charles and Mary of Ocean Voyages Institute and was brought on board as one of two drone operators. Our task was to film the voyage both cinematically and also use the drones to search for ghost nets and marine debris while we were searching in the north Pacific Gyre, or the Great Garbage Patch as some know it as. We found tons of debris, using both drones in the air and spotters in the crows nest. Here is a link to today's press release video with the news and, of course, some drone footage we took:

Wow, that's awesome. What an experience and representation of what we can do with the UAS. Thank you for sharing.
Hey Ya'll,

I thought I'd update you on this project. I did respond to this request and was interviewed by Charles and Mary of Ocean Voyages Institute and was brought on board as one of two drone operators. Our task was to film the voyage both cinematically and also use the drones to search for ghost nets and marine debris while we were searching in the north Pacific Gyre, or the Great Garbage Patch as some know it as. We found tons of debris, using both drones in the air and spotters in the crows nest. Here is a link to today's press release video with the news and, of course, some drone footage we took:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro