DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PINK BALLOONS - WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

That was fun

It's hard to reconcile how a drone could be taken down so easily by a series of mishaps with a collection of pink balloons, and yet this same drone is capable of wreaking havoc in the nations air space.

It’s not hard to reconcile, look at the damage that drone did to the balloons! :)

But seriously, there are vulnerable delicate parts on a drone, but also some not so delicate harder parts as well that would have a lot of inertia if struck by a fast-moving plane.

It’s not hard to reconcile, look at the damage that drone did to the balloons! :)

But seriously, there are vulnerable delicate parts on a drone, but also some not so delicate harder parts as well that would have a lot of inertia if struck by a fast-moving plane.
I know.
I moved into tornado territory and learned that a single straw of hay could go through a tree, and I thought that was impossible. Then, I saw a picture of a piece of straw through a tree.
I realize that even something fragile becomes hard as a rock at velocity.
In the case of the hay and the tree, a lot of stars have to line up, but it it possible.

Reactions: AMann and Racin8de
I know.
I moved into tornado territory and learned that a single straw of hay could go through a tree, and I thought that was impossible. Then, I saw a picture of a piece of straw through a tree.
In the case of the hay and the tree, a lot of stars have to line up, but it it possible.

Cant (and don’t want to) imagine what they do to victims caught up in them. You are right, more likely it’s going to be a near miss like that police helicopter in the video that was taken down, but rare things like near misses and sightings of rogue drones do cause havoc for the airspace.

I think I hear a song:

99 balloons rising on high, 99 balloons rising high,
Knock one down, flying my drone, 98 balloons rising on high...

Reactions: VortexSpin
Strings bad, balloons no problem should pop all day long.
Lesson : Dont string your balloons !

Phantomrain.org
coal

Reactions: FoxhallGH
More worried about the use of helium in the balloons and the resultant depletion of this important gas. Helium is mined from underground reserves and used extensively in super conductors and medical equipment and should not be squandered on balloons. Once it escapes it cannot be recovered.
Exactly! I can't believe with all the erroneous, restrictive laws out there, there isn't more being done to curb the waste of helium. From what I understand, it's not a gas you can create out of thin air, even though that's where it ends up. Plus the vinyl trash that quite likely more invasive than plastic straws.

I think the song is 99 Luftballons which translates to Red Balloons and not Pink.
That person was playing stupid games and won a stupid prize.

At least they were not flying directly over people.

More worried about the use of helium in the balloons and the resultant depletion of this important gas. Helium is mined from underground reserves and used extensively in super conductors and medical equipment and should not be squandered on balloons. Once it escapes it cannot be recovered.
Sometimes helium is recovered from production of natural gas. Now that AOC is banning hydrocarbons ... no more jets, no more cell phones, no more MP2s and no more helium balloons ... Hmmm! We don't need the FAA and Transport Canada any more then either. Wow! That was easy!

He forgot to enable the (Avoid Balloon Option)

That was fun

It's hard to reconcile how a drone could be taken down so easily by a series of mishaps with a collection of pink balloons, and yet this same drone is capable of wreaking havoc in the nations air space.
Dont forget all the manned aircraft falling from the skies as a result of drone hits.....
So is it safe to assume you believe that a sUAS couldn't do any damage to a manned aircraft?
A frisbee, or golfball, or large Kite could cause damage to a manned aircraft. Has there been a new study that shows a sUAS doing catastrophic damage worse than a bird hit of equal size?

I know.
From a person that has been in "tornado ally" for over 50 years, the straw does not get "driven" into anything, The high winds twist and bend trees and poles opening cracks and allowing gras andd stuff to get trapped in them when the wind dies down and the tree/pole returns to its normal state.
That being said, being exposed to winds over 100 MPH is not fun for sure! Ever had a grasshopper hit you while riding a motorcycle at 75MPH?

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy