DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pixelated and Laggy (unusable) video in HD mode with Tab A

robwas

Reactions
I've read on here that people are successfully using the SAMSUNG SM-T290NZKAXAR, Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB W 2019 with the Air 2 and DJI Fly app. Today I purchased one, did all all the updates and sadly in HD mode the view on my screen is extremely pixelated and laggy. When I move to Smooth is looks ok but I'm uneasy about using this for fear of losing video while flying my drone. With my old Galaxy S7E smart phone it works flawlessly but I wanted something dedicated and larger. I'm wondering if anyone has insight, perhaps users just use the smooth option. Here's a video I made depicting it, I also moved it outside and it does the same thing.

I"m perplexed how the device could make a difference, I assumed the transmission was between the drone and the controller and the device wouldn't make a huge difference.

TIA for any help, new drone owner and new to the forum.

Rob

I"m perplexed how the device could make a difference, I assumed the transmission was between the drone and the controller and the device wouldn't make a huge difference.

Rob

The "Tabs" have always perplexed me on which one works and which ones don't. So I won't bother looking it up to see if yours is one that doesn't, here is the link: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

As far as second part your phone/Tab is basically the computer to handle the reception and functions coming from the drone remote to view. So think of it like this... your computer can't keep up with all that is going on, there for it skips and lags as it is to busy to do all it needs to be doing so it is picking and choosing when to do what. That is about as layman as I get :p Now my Grandpa would just say you ain't got enough gas in the tank to make the trip ;)

Unfortunately the Fly App is way different than the "GO" Apps, there we have way more control over the stream and many settings to tune, seems the fly app only has two and hard to say what they are? Did you download from the Play Store or side load it (Fly App)?

This is the most used list by DJI Users for reference: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

Last edited:
This has been reported a number of times. In some reports the problem occurred only in photo mode. May be its a software bug of the FLY app ?

The "Tabs" have always perplexed me on which one works and which ones don't. So I won't bother looking it up to see if yours is one that doesn't, here is the link: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

As far as second part your phone/Tab is basically the computer to handle the reception and functions coming from the drone remote to view. So think of it like this... your computer can't keep up with all that is going on, there for it skips and lags as it is to busy to do all it needs to be doing so it is picking and choosing when to do what. That is about as layman as I get :p
Thanks for the quick reply. If it's only how the tab displays video I can just go on my way and use smooth mode I guess because I record to an onboard SD anyways. I guess the data comes into the phone or tablet via that little USB cord and maybe it doesn't allow a fast enough data transfer?

This has been reported a number of times. In some reports the problem occurred only in photo mode. May be its a software bug of the FLY app ?
I guess I can try reinstalling the fly app again. I did update the tablet as far as it could go which was Android 10. The app isn't on the play store on that tablet, I had to load it direct from DJI. I just really wonder those that have said this tablet works great if they perhaps just use smooth mode not HD. I tried changing to video mode and got the same result, I doubt the pixelation affects what the SD card records but I will test it. It's just being able to see where the drone is flying that concerned me when I saw that mess on my screen.

I guess the data comes into the phone or tablet via that little USB cord and maybe it doesn't allow a fast enough data transfer?
Ummm nope...that little cord is the same one 10'000's other users are using with no problems... as I said your tablet just doesn't have enough power. I looked and it is being reported as not available to download the fly app, it must be side loaded which is the first clue as it is under powered.

Reactions: robwas
I doubt the pixelation affects what the SD card records but I will test it. It's just being able to see where the drone is flying that concerned me when I saw that mess on my screen.

The SDCard is all done on craft and is fine, just what you get transmitted down to you that your device is under powered to handle, DJI's end is fine :)

I'd return the tablet and save more pennies to get something with more power from the preferred list.

Reactions: robwas
The SDCard is all done on craft and is fine, just what you get transmitted down to you that your device is under powered to handle, DJI's end is fine :)

I'd return the tablet and save more pennies to get something with more power from the preferred list.
Yes, definitely going to do that. Reading galore from the list, hoping to find something with an 8" screen that's android and works well. It seems though overall the ipad is the premium choice.

Ummm nope...that little cord is the same one 10'000's other users are using with no problems... as I said your tablet just doesn't have enough power. I looked and it is being reported as not available to download the fly app, it must be side loaded which is the first clue as it is under powered.
Yeah, I didn't write that correctly. What I was really meaning to say is that this won't cause a connectivity issue, just my live video won't be great. It does work quite well in smooth mode, as long as there aren't other issues that wouldn't be a problem but if in that mode I lose all video I could see that being a bad situation.

How did you downgrade to a previous version? I'm thinking I might need to do that myself.
Just uninstall the current one and install a previous one you hopefully still have in your download folder. I have a few if we are allowed to post them here. I'm sure all revisions are available somewhere. If anyone knows please let me in on it.
You don't lose anything except having to put it back to imperial and skip the instructional videos again. All logs stay. You also have to put your user/pass in again. I forgot mine and had to reset it..lol

Yes, definitely going to do that. Reading galore from the list, hoping to find something with an 8" screen that's android and works well. It seems though overall the ipad is the premium choice.
I have the $99 8" ONN pro tablet from Walmart and it is awesome. Your problem is DJI FLY bug. The tablet is fine. Lots of people use that one you have. I would try different versions of fly till you hit one that works.

Just uninstall the current one and install a previous one you hopefully still have in your download folder. I have a few if we are allowed to post them here. I'm sure all revisions are available somewhere. If anyone knows please let me in on it.
You don't lose anything except having to put it back to imperial and skip the instructional videos again. All logs stay. You also have to put your user/pass in again. I forgot mine and had to reset it..lol
I found a website called APKmirror.com. I searched for DJI and found previous version of the app. Seem safe and legit. I went back to v1.1.10. It seems as though the issue started after the most recent updates. I'll see what happens tomorrow!

I've read on here that people are successfully using the SAMSUNG SM-T290NZKAXAR, Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB W 2019 with the Air 2 and DJI Fly app. Today I purchased one, did all all the updates and sadly in HD mode the view on my screen is extremely pixelated and laggy. When I move to Smooth is looks ok but I'm uneasy about using this for fear of losing video while flying my drone. With my old Galaxy S7E smart phone it works flawlessly but I wanted something dedicated and larger. I'm wondering if anyone has insight, perhaps users just use the smooth option. Here's a video I made depicting it, I also moved it outside and it does the same thing.

Rob
I don't know if it's the same prob. I'm using a totally UN-recommended tab. the Sprint slate8 . it is TOTAL garbage! I removed everything off of it that is not mavic pro. all pictures. it was so very choppy/ laggy/ trash feed before. I learned I can't be in sport mode, and have clear images . when I slowed the dog down, it could digest the footage better. no more choppy transfers= better cinematic pics. now my old Note 5 is another story ! perfect for FPV in high res. just have to hold it closer!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos