DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hey From Central Maryland

Duderman24

Reactions
Hi all, I'm a brand spanking new drone pilot driving a MAVIC Pro. I flew briefly and now I'm dead in the water. I was hoping that someone here could help me find a solution to get back in the air. Playing by the rules on the front page, I will use the recommended format...
Problem? Cannot fly, aircraft is in a "force locked" mode. Controller is locked in a GPS mode and I cannot get out.
Was unit in a crash? No, in perfect shape and configuration.
What have you tried so far?
Updated firmware a couple weeks ago and received the "force locked" error. I have downloaded different firmware configurations with no luck. I even purchased Litchi to see if that would work and still receive the dreaded "force locked" mode.
What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Samsung Tab A8.
What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest versions available in DJI Assistant 2
What Go app version are you using? DJI Fly, cannot load DJI Go 4 on my Tab A8. WHY IS THAT?
Any modification? (if so what) None
Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) Only updated firmware and Litchi on my Tab A8. I was getting this error prior to using Litchi so I suspect that Litchi or my Tab A8 has nothing to do with the "force locked".
Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) No pictures at this time.
Additional Insight:
I am very near BWI airport, but use the ALOFT app to get FAA approvals on a regular basis. Other than on TFR in Feb, I was flying a couple times a week.
Is the force locked on the aircraft or controller?

Is there a workaround (confirmed firmware version, other software) that I could try to get back in the air?

Thank you....Duderman24

Outside of the "force locked" issue, would moving to an Apple Ipad work better for drone flight? Does anyone recommend using VR goggles over a Tab A8 or an Ipad? Thoughts?

Hello from the crossroads of America Duderman24.

Hopefully you'll get the answers.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

I can't help with your problem, as I've never experienced a lock out. Helpfully someone will come along that can give you some direction. You could also post on the DJI forum, they should be able to guide you. Something I can do is welcome you to these forums and wish you luck with your problem!

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann, in Hurst, Texas!

You'll love the flexibility of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords--you'll get shots and videos you could only dream of before! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon be upgrading to the Mini 3 Pro.

I've always used an iPad 4, but I have friends who use Samsung Android successfully. I have never had the problem you are experiencing. The "force locked" error code is completely new to me. I am confident one of our readers will have a solution for you. We have over 150,000 members—many from MD--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have will’ve already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask! Good luck with your issue. Let us know how you make out.

I attached a couple of links below, which will make learning piloting and photo/video skills easy. They specifically refer to the Mini 3 Pro, but his “moves” apply to any drone (DJI, anyway).

Glad to have you with us!

Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK6s2hJLRRE

@Duderman24 welcome to the forum
firstly the Mavic pro uses the GO4,App not the fly App
to download it to your phone you have to go onto the DJI web site ,and download it directly from them
it is no longer available from the play store for android devices
if you use an IOS device then you can download it from the APP Store

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

query answers to questions OR is searching within the forums the only method to find nuggets? Thanks

continue to research my problem and will publish as I resolve so others don't have the same issue.
Did you notice that @old man mavic responded above to your question?

Did you see it, did you check it out… I do not know if it is the solution, but I do not believe any one of our members will steer you wrong on purpose…

If you want us to help you, you need to respond back to suggestions, otherwise we feel we are not being listened to. I'm not saying that all suggestions are good or even helpful, but when a member takes the time to read your issues, and then takes the time to respond, it is only polite to respond, even if, "Thanks, that did not work…"

After this, you will receive my normal welcome note…. But here is one more bit of advice. This sub-forum is for New Pilots to Check In and introduce themselves, not a particularly good place to post problems. If you have an issue that it specific to the Mavic Pro, well we have a dedicated sub-forum for the your drone. If it is a less specific and more general in nature, as I believe your issue is, then the General Discussions is a good forum, for those issues…

So, upcoming is my Biggo Note for when your drone is up and flying right…

LT Signing off…

I'm a brand spanking new drone pilot driving a MAVIC Pro.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . Your Drone weighs more than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are still required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live Maryland, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Did you notice that @old man mavic responded above to your question?

Did you see it, did you check it out… I do not know if it is the solution, but I do not believe any one of our members will steer you wrong on purpose…

If you want us to help you, you need to respond back to suggestions, otherwise we feel we are not being listened to. I'm not saying that all suggestions are good or even helpful, but when a member takes the time to read your issues, and then takes the time to respond, it is only polite to respond, even if, "Thanks, that did not work…"

After this, you will receive my normal welcome note…. But here is one more bit of advice. This sub-forum is for New Pilots to Check In and introduce themselves, not a particularly good place to post problems. If you have an issue that it specific to the Mavic Pro, well we have a dedicated sub-forum for the your drone. If it is a less specific and more general in nature, as I believe your issue is, then the General Discussions is a good forum, for those issues…

So, upcoming is my Biggo Note for when your drone is up and flying right…

LT Signing off…
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . Your Drone weighs more than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are still required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live Maryland, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…
Hey Chief (LT), appreciate your inbrief and insights. I have been flying precious little for a few years now maybe less than 40 hours. I have done a very poor job of keeping my flight log updated. I have my TRUST certificate and aircraft registered with the FAA. I am a frequent user of ALOFT and B4UFly. I'll circle back to my new forum friends and ensure I give feedback. On a personal note, I am retired Air Force/MSgt. It was 20 years ago this month. Where's my walker...I'm getting old. :) TY

Reactions: Chris4koi
I can't help with your problem, as I've never experienced a lock out. Helpfully someone will come along that can give you some direction. You could also post on the DJI forum, they should be able to guide you. Something I can do is welcome you to these forums and wish you luck with your problem!
Thanks brother...have much to learn. It looks like this forum is a good start in the right direction.

Reactions: Big Bro
Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann, in Hurst, Texas!

You'll love the flexibility of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords--you'll get shots and videos you could only dream of before! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon be upgrading to the Mini 3 Pro.

I've always used an iPad 4, but I have friends who use Samsung Android successfully. I have never had the problem you are experiencing. The "force locked" error code is completely new to me. I am confident one of our readers will have a solution for you. We have over 150,000 members—many from MD--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have will’ve already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask! Good luck with your issue. Let us know how you make out.

I attached a couple of links below, which will make learning piloting and photo/video skills easy. They specifically refer to the Mini 3 Pro, but his “moves” apply to any drone (DJI, anyway).

Glad to have you with us!

Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK6s2hJLRRE
Many thanks....turns out there is not much out there on this particular issue. The search continues. :)

Reactions: Hauptmann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S