DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning to buy Mini 2 to bring with me to the USA

frcaloy

Reactions
Hi, I own an Air 2 and Air 2S here in the Philippines. Our drone laws require registration and pilot certification for operators of drones 7 kg and above only so I only have to follow basic safety measures when operating my drones.

I plan to buy a Mini 2 here to bring with me to the USA when I visit my brother and sister in CA and WA.

I am just apprehensive that Immigration or the TSA might confiscate the drone. Do I have to obtain permission from the FAA prior to bringing in my MM2? Thanks for the replies.

I plan to buy a Mini 2 here to bring with me to the USA when I visit my brother and sister in CA and WA.

I am just apprehensive that Immigration or the TSA might confiscate the drone. Do I have to obtain permission from the FAA prior to bringing in my MM2? Thanks for the replies.
Is the Mini 2 that much cheaper in the Philippines? Why not just buy one here once you get in the states and not have to worry about the TSA or transporting those batteries on an airplace.?

You already are an experienced DJI Drone pilot so it's not like you need to practice flying it.

Now, here is an issue that I have seen mentioned in some of the other Drone sites that I frequent. The Drones are not all the same. I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain it, but I have read where a Drone was bought in one country and was taken to another country and it was in need of repair, or even replacement. When the drone was returned it did not work with the controller from the original country.

I Googled "Mini 2 and the Philippines" and several sites referenced that they have the "Mini 2 with Philippine Specs", That tells me something is different, so be very careful whether you bring one here or buy one here and take it home with you.

I would do several things, one, write, and even call directly to DJI and ask them specifically this question. If you buy a Mini 2 in the Philippines and it later needs repair or replacing and you are in the US and send it in to a US facility, will the new drone work with the controller you brought with you from the Philippines?

Also, at the same time, ask them if you buy the drone here in the states, will there be any problems with you returning to the Philippines with a US version of the Mini 2.

Next, contact the US Consulate in the Philippines and ask them specifically if there are any issues with importing a drone, specifically the DJI Drone, into the US. I would not think so, but our Federal Trade Commission is having an issue with it because it is a piece of very sophisticated technology from China.

Really, I would recommend buying it here. It just might be cheaper since you will not have to pay an excess baggage fee to the airline for the drone shipping container.

Here are a couple of links to help you decide…

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do…

I still think it's simpler to buy one here…

drone.jpg

Is the Mini 2 that much cheaper in the Philippines? Why not just buy one here once you get in the states and not have to worry about the TSA or transporting those batteries on an airplace.?

You already are an experienced DJI Drone pilot so it's not like you need to practice flying it.

Now, here is an issue that I have seen mentioned in some of the other Drone sites that I frequent. The Drones are not all the same. I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain it, but I have read where a Drone was bought in one country and was taken to another country and it was in need of repair, or even replacement. When the drone was returned it did not work with the controller from the original country.

I Googled "Mini 2 and the Philippines" and several sites referenced that they have the "Mini 2 with Philippine Specs", That tells me something is different, so be very careful whether you bring one here or buy one here and take it home with you.

I would do several things, one, write, and even call directly to DJI and ask them specifically this question. If you buy a Mini 2 in the Philippines and it later needs repair or replacing and you are in the US and send it in to a US facility, will the new drone work with the controller you brought with you from the Philippines?

Also, at the same time, ask them if you buy the drone here in the states, will there be any problems with you returning to the Philippines with a US version of the Mini 2.

Next, contact the US Consulate in the Philippines and ask them specifically if there are any issues with importing a drone, specifically the DJI Drone, into the US. I would not think so, but our Federal Trade Commission is having an issue with it because it is a piece of very sophisticated technology from China.

Really, I would recommend buying it here. It just might be cheaper since you will not have to pay an excess baggage fee to the airline for the drone shipping container.

Here are a couple of links to help you decide…

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do…

I still think it's simpler to buy one here…

View attachment 151335
Here is an afterthought, What if you buy the drone in the Philippines and then you mail it to your family in the states. Besides the postal system, there are the others biggies, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and others.

Granted there may be customs that is due but you can find out who much that would be. I've never bought anything as expensive as the Mini 2 and imported it, but I have never been charged any customs on items costing as much as $100.

Just a thought…

It is cheaper to buy a drone here in the Philippines. It costs about PhP 32,000.00 here while buying it through Amazon would cost me PhP 41,800.00 less state taxes. I would only use it for about two weeks in the States, three max.

I bought the Air 2S in Japan and it cost me PhP 48,000.00. The cost here in the Philippines is PhP 50,000.00. The Air 2S flies fine and in FCC mode. It would have been CE mode if it were operating in Japan. The local Air 2 doesn't have the AirSense here while the local Air 2S already have the AirSense incorporated in the drone. There are differences, yes but I think the Mini 2 would operate just fine in the USA. Just have apprehensions on Immigration, Customs and the TSA.

Thanks for the input.

Buy the Mini 2 in the US, have fun flying taking videos and pictures and when your ready to return home…gift it to your US family. Once they see how great the Mini 2 is they’re going to want one.

Or, just leave with your relatives in the US and have them sell it for you. All this could be worth any headaches dealing with customs or different variations regarding different countries. It’s a thought 🧐. Anyways, have a great visit. Maybe you can visit BC Canada 🇨🇦 since you’ll be right next door in Washington state. 👍

You'll be fine. Just pack it in your carry on along with the batteries..

A couple of my friends recently went back to the US with their drones (Mini 2) and one went through LA and the other Seattle.. No problems..

1657239539098.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw