DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum Camera dissapointing....

AeroMirage

Reactions
I have a Platinum Mavic and haven't had any real chance to fly it.
I got out tonight and shot a few pics and am disappointed.
The camera seems awfully lame.
The color is very bland . This sunset was very colorful to the eye but washed out seen through the camera.
ff.jpg

In low light it has a terrible time focusing and won't focus even in MF.
My Spark would have shot this picture far, far better.
DJI_0045.JPG

What's wrong here?

No no the camera is just fine
You just need to find the right settings for it
It will take some time we all learn trough trail and error

Reactions: fbcx and BigEegit
That is what I am hoping... that it is my unfamiliarity of it and not a defective camera.
I have an Inspire2 / X5S and I know its idiosyncrasies and same for my Spark.
I will give it time and trials, that's the fun of it all!!!

No no the camera is just fine
You just need to find the right settings for it
It will take some time we all learn trough trail and error

I to think the camera (photos) are terrible, only shot in Auto, raw at the highest res possible, but the images that I imported from my SD card are horrid. I ended up taking some screen captures on my iPad Pro of some 4k footage and they are ultra sharp! Will have to have a pay around in the settings, surely the camera can’t be this bad?

Reactions: BigEegit
The color is very bland . This sunset was very colorful to the eye but washed out seen through the camera.
View attachment 27060

View attachment 27059

What's wrong here?
That was my first impression, too, after coming from the Phantom 3 Standard, which took such great photos in AUTO. But the Mavic has a LOT of options to set. It took me two weeks to finally get to the settings I like. I'm not a photo processing guy. I just want to take good photos first time and use/view them, have fun. Watch the plethora of YouTube videos on the topic. You'll get educated about settings and find the ones you like.

Reactions: Lopez0015
I have a Mavic Pro and Platinum. Both take great photos. Of course I have over 70 hours on these aircraft. Essentially the cameras are the same so one taken by the Mavic Pro should be the same as in the Platinum. There is always the possibility you have defective camera/gimbal.

It would be good to know what your ISO was set to and what your shutter speed was. As in the shot of the Christmas tree lot, it appears to be a low shutter speed blur. For photos such as these you need to hedge with ISO and shutter speed trying to get the highest shutter speed with the lowest ISO, use tripod mode and take MANY of the same shots. The wind and vibration of the drone is different in EVERY shot. That way you may come out with 10 blurry shots and one clear one. Keep shooting and trying different settings....eventually you will see how to get your best shot wit this amazing little drone/camera.

If you take raw photos, i think its mandatory to edit them to bring out the colors, as they look bland originally. You can take jpeg photos and let mavic do the initial editing so the photos are more pleasing with less work.. And the second pic appears to be taken with low shutter speed and therefore out of focus because of drone movement. Enable long exposure preview to quickly know if you need to reshoot due to drone movement.

I too noticed that the photos and videos by the Mavic Pro Platinum (my second drone) on Auto setting is not as crisp and sharp as the Spark (my first drone) on Auto setting. I eventually tried using the manual mode and managed to get some very good quality videos and photos on the Mavic Pro Platinum, i.e. after learning how to use the exposure, shutter speed and focus settings. I do wish that dji will fix the auto setting on the Mavic Pro to allow novice like me to get good quality pics and video out of the box on Auto mode with the Mavic, like that of the Spark.

Reactions: TrickMcKaha
I to think the camera (photos) are terrible, only shot in Auto, raw at the highest res possible, but the images that I imported from my SD card are horrid. I ended up taking some screen captures on my iPad Pro of some 4k footage and they are ultra sharp! Will have to have a pay around in the settings, surely the camera can’t be this bad?
I agree the photographs I have taken in 4K are terrible, but the video is crisp. I backed off 4K and shot the same pictures in 1080p and they were fine. Maybe this is because my Samsung Tab A doesn't render 4K pictures as well as it renders 4K video? I am not a professional photographer but have gotten some fabulous shots with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 shooting in 1080p and would be thrilled to match that quality. Any thoughts?

This camera will not focus in any setting. Not even in manual. AF - doesn't word. AE lock - doesn't work.

Look at this pano. First picture has some decent color. The other 8 are bland resulting in a cold washed out pano.

9 shots for pano.jpg Stitched Result.jpg

I entered a repair ticket today and they have sent me a shipping label. Now I get to wait.......... can't send it out till Tuesday.... then wait to see what happens. Well, I waited 20 months for my Crystalsky ultra. Hopefully I get the same bird (Fixed) back and not a refurb.

That is what I am hoping... that it is my unfamiliarity of it and not a defective camera.
I have an Inspire2 / X5S and I know its idiosyncrasies and same for my Spark.
I will give it time and trials, that's the fun of it all!!!
What is the inspire 2 like. I wanted to get that for the camera, but never owned a drone before i wanted experience first so got mavic pro platinum, inspire 2 looks the business though.

Thank you for the reply and the advice, going to get used to the drone for a while before moving on. I want to eventually use it for still ( or near as still ) photos. Have a great day. Regards Ray

View attachment 27060

View attachment 27059

What's wrong here?

It’s out of focus....

There is a learning curve associated with the Mavic. It is an able camera platform but it’s not a dslr that flys. Be patient and try some things before getting discouraged. Sometimes my camera won’t focus either, I reboot the aircraft and usually that does the trick.
a78dfb864d8e3329e5dc6b71a8c99997.jpg
d2644158b0d94864ebb474c42d70b344.jpg
2d1eb31f719960b405a1658ecd649eda.jpg

Reactions: sirrraj
Well, I am not a stranger to these devices. I have had P3S, P3P, P4P, I1-X5 & Z3, I2-X5S, Spark and Mavic.
Nothing worked right on this Mavic. AE lock, MF/AF, ISO could not be controlled, Camera settings did not save.
I spent plenty of time trying all that can be done to rectify it before sending it in because believe me, I am not looking forward to a long wait and the uncertainty as to whether I will get back what I paid for.
I paid for a brand new aircraft, not a refurbished one.
Time will tell...........

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes