DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Playing Videos Directly on Goggles?

mechrock

Reactions
I'm too impatient to wait for Thursday. Can someone tell me if properly formatted movies / video files will play directly on the Googles? I know they say drone footage only, but I can't see why other videos wouldn't work.

Reactions: Huddy and rigor
I
I'm too impatient to wait for Thursday. Can someone tell me if properly formatted movies / video files will play directly on the Googles? I know they say drone footage only, but I can't see why other videos wouldn't work.
haven't tried it yet.

I was able to get some of my own MOV files (1080p home videos edited in Final Cut Pro) to play from the microSD card within the goggles. The trick is to place them in the same folder that Mavic video files are created in on the microSD card. If they're in the root level of the card, the goggles won't see them. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear any sound. Not sure if I need to use a different audio CODEC or what. The demo videos stored within the goggle's flash memory played back fine with sound.

No possibility to get one of the demo videos and find out what audio codec used ?
Access to flash memory ?
I tried a mp4 from sdcard. Played well but indeed no sound.

I was able to get some of my own MOV files (1080p home videos edited in Final Cut Pro) to play from the microSD card within the goggles. The trick is to place them in the same folder that Mavic video files are created in on the microSD card. If they're in the root level of the card, the goggles won't see them. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear any sound. Not sure if I need to use a different audio CODEC or what. The demo videos stored within the goggle's flash memory played back fine with sound.

Whait is the name of the folder ?
Thanks !

No possibility to get one of the demo videos and find out what audio codec used ?
Access to flash memory ?
I tried a mp4 from sdcard. Played well but indeed no sound.

I have not tried connecting to the goggles with DJI's desktop app. You might have a way of looking at inspecting/modifying demo files with that.

Last edited:
if you think about it, the Mavic doesn't record sound so they may have likely disabled audio playback from the SD card by default. Hopefully someone will find a work around shortly...

if you think about it, the Mavic doesn't record sound so they may have likely disabled audio playback from the SD card by default. Hopefully someone will find a work around shortly...

Correct. Though there should be no technical reason why they didn't leave support for audio in there since the goggles can clearly play video with audio tracks (the demo files). Also don't know why 4k video isn't supported. If the goggles are meant to be a nice field monitor for files captured by the Mavic (or other DJI drones), then they surely can't expect that users would be willing to or have the time to scale down their 4K video clips in the field. I'm concerned that the hardware decoder in the goggles itself is limited to 1080p footage (as a way to keep the price of the goggles down). If so, then this isn't something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

Correct. Though there should be no technical reason why they didn't leave support for audio in there since the goggles can clearly play video with audio tracks (the demo files). Also don't know why 4k video isn't supported. If the goggles are meant to be a nice field monitor for files captured by the Mavic (or other DJI drones), then they surely can't expect that users would be willing to or have the time to scale down their 4K video clips in the field. I'm concerned that the hardware decoder in the goggles itself is limited to 1080p footage (as a way to keep the price of the goggles down). If so, then this isn't something that can be fixed with a firmware update.
Are the demo files on the SD card or are they on the firmware? Do you lose access to the demo files if you remove the SD card?

Reactions: PacketRacket
Are the demo files on the SD card or are they on the firmware? Do you lose access to the demo files if you remove the SD card?

The demo files are on the firmware. My SD card was what I had in my Mavic when I originally got her, and contained a couple of 1080p test videos I had captured, so had the necessary file structure that the goggles could index.

The demo files are on the firmware. My SD card was what I had in my Mavic when I originally got her, and contained a couple of 1080p test videos I had captured, so had the necessary file structure that the goggles could index.
so it may not support audio playback via SD card since the primary function is to play video from the Mavic which does not record audio....

Why not use an HDMI converter on your phone and play the movies from that?

Rob

Thanks ! some video works and other (same format..) doesn't work and no sound :/

Dji must upgrade their googles.

I love posts like this.. I have a bunch of random mov files with unknown codecs and am getting inconsistent playback results.... Must be crappy equipment.. Lol

Am I confused? I thought the goggles were advertised as having an HDMI in to watch movies and tv shows? Any now I'm hearing it don't work?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78