DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Playing Videos Directly on Goggles?

Am I confused? I thought the goggles were advertised as having an HDMI in to watch movies and tv shows? Any now I'm hearing it don't work?

HDMI Playback works fine.

I used HDMI off my laptop to fly an FPV Quad game and watch videos in 1080p. Used Apple earbuds which worked as you would expect.

I was also able to play videos (tivo & Netflix) from my iPhone 7 via hdmi and used the headphone jack on the goggles. Everything worked flawlessly, just a bit cumbersome with the cables and the weight of the goggles.

Am I confused? I thought the goggles were advertised as having an HDMI in to watch movies and tv shows? Any now I'm hearing it don't work?

The issue noted here and elsewhere is file compatibility and audio support when playing from an inserted microSD card. You won't have any issues if you play from a device connected using the HDMI port.

I was able to get some of my own MOV files (1080p home videos edited in Final Cut Pro) to play from the microSD card within the goggles. The trick is to place them in the same folder that Mavic video files are created in on the microSD card. If they're in the root level of the card, the goggles won't see them. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear any sound. Not sure if I need to use a different audio CODEC or what. The demo videos stored within the goggle's flash memory played back fine with sound.
Just got my goggles, Do I need to connect Goggles with Mavic everytime to access the demo videos?
There's no way of using the Goggles as standalone at the moment?

Just got my goggles, Do I need to connect Goggles with Mavic everytime to access the demo videos?
There's no way of using the Goggles as standalone at the moment?
No you can play the demos and any mavic footage stored on the goggles SD card without connecting to the mavic. And of course watch tv via the HDMI port.

Rob

Audio works with HDMI input. Audio works with Demo Videos. Audio does not work with .mov files created on SD card and put in DCIM\100MEDIA folder (however video does; no name of file in the display choosing menu though). I spoke with DJI tech support and confirmed this. I asked them to fix it ASAP. I also asked them to add a display focus adjustment ASAP.

Audio works with HDMI input. Audio works with Demo Videos. Audio does not work with .mov files created on SD card and put in DCIM\100MEDIA folder (however video does; no name of file in the display choosing menu though). I spoke with DJI tech support and confirmed this. I asked them to fix it ASAP. I also asked them to add a display focus adjustment ASAP.
good like with your requests to DJI :)

I plug an Amazon Fire Stick into the HDMI port and it works great. Only issue is constantly having to flip up the goggles to see the controller.

Why post in a now irelevant thread that died nearly a year ago?
No problems posting in an old thread imo. In some ways it is useful as you can see what the early problems were and this can aid in diagnosing current issues (as it has just done with me :))

Correct. Though there should be no technical reason why they didn't leave support for audio in there since the goggles can clearly play video with audio tracks (the demo files). Also don't know why 4k video isn't supported. If the goggles are meant to be a nice field monitor for files captured by the Mavic (or other DJI drones), then they surely can't expect that users would be willing to or have the time to scale down their 4K video clips in the field. I'm concerned that the hardware decoder in the goggles itself is limited to 1080p footage (as a way to keep the price of the goggles down). If so, then this isn't something that can be fixed with a firmware update.
Exactly! Holy F@ck I just discovering this now. So you record your flight using these fancy overpriced $500+ goggles and you cant even play back the footage unless you tinker with the formatting? What really?" Just absurd! One would think such a technologically advanced company would have the wherewithal not to leave out what is obviously useful end user functionality. Is it just me or should one not be able to plug the goggles into the drone to view its internal/sd card files that I just recorded. This is some sort of viewing device if I'm not mistaken, Right?. Kinda like the old days when you had to take your film in for developing.Then again being a MA owner since March 2018 and attempting to "communicate" with DJI "support" I'm not surprised. Highly unlikely I will buy from them again.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54