DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help! Error after interrupted firmware update

Since it looks like just a couple of us have any interest in helping you, lets explore a bit, OK?
I notice in your screen capture above, the error says "firmware incompatible" something about "some modules" and something about the device.
Are you sure you were not trying to load a modified firmware? Newer Mavics cant use older Mavic firmware.
Maybe the wrong aircraft is selected in DJIassist 2?
Try to install every firmware option you can, hopefully one will take.
If you have modified anything in the software with dumbledore, uninstall it and reload an unaltered version.

If none of this works, we will need to know EXACTLY what you were trying to do, and what actions you took to try and do it.
You don't load 'modified' firmware when you roll back the firmware. You load the original DJI firmware file. Interrupting any firmware installation can cause issues. The changes are made by modifying the firmware via the assistant once you have installed it. That's all that needs to be said about that.

I wondered why one of the error screen shots said some of the firmware modules were incompatable with his aircraft. I have seen where people have implanted older modules into later firmware.
But hey, I said I dont know about "modding" Just trying to help!
Why would SOME modules of DJI firmware be incompatable with a DJI aircraft otherwise? I think that is the issue.

I made contact with DJI via their facebook support site. They have indicated that if I cannot either refresh the firmware, or reset to factory defaults, via the DJI Assistant 2 software, then the device is bricked.

They've told me to send it to a DJI service centre for analysis by engineers.

They've said there is no way to load the firmware via SD card.
They said that the update logs from the Assistant 2 software will not be helpful - they'll just indicate that there is a module which is not functioning.

I wondered why one of the error screen shots said some of the firmware modules were incompatable with his aircraft. I have seen where people have implanted older modules into later firmware.
But hey, I said I dont know about "modding" Just trying to help!
Why would SOME modules of DJI firmware be incompatable with a DJI aircraft otherwise? I think that is the issue.
I have had incompatible software modules. The Air had some yesterday. The newer go app shows the modules and allows you to check for updates on each one.

OK then. Looks like he has a plan now.
Would have liked to find a simpler solution for him than sending it in.

I am sure with DJI if it doesn't compute, send it in is the default answer.
Followed by a "sorry, this was user error", followed with a coupon for a remote deleted replacement at full price. :D

Followed by a "sorry, this was user error", followed with a coupon for a remote deleted replacement at full price. :D
Are you joking, or have they actually done this to someone?

If it is something that YOU caused, and not a defect. You will almost certainly get that response.
a coupon for 15% or 30% off of a new one, BUT they keep the remote and just send the aircraft. OH, and it will probably be a refurbished one at that.
IF it happens, DONT lose your temper with them, stay civil and hold your ground. They have been known to cave to a pleasant persistent customer. :D

First off. DUMLdore does EXACTLY what the DJI Assistant2 does, it just lets you load an older one which the Assistant 2 doesnt. Once the firmware is transferred to the Drone or RC (its via FTP mind you, that's all it is, and then a simple command to say "START") its ALL on the drone. You can even unplug the USB.
The battery was removed/dislodged while updating. If I did that to my PC while I was updating the BIOS or ripped the battery out of my phone while updating the same thing would happen. The difference is DJI's recovery techniques arn't quite as good as most embedded devices unfortunately..

I see you are on .811. From memory that was a "all has gone to ****, use this firmware" DJI suggest (its actually just the Android portion of the upgrade. Its not working by the looks. You can talk to the AC so that's a good thing. I can only suggest trying to flash the latest firmware with DUMLdore. No doubt ac0j will scoff but the latest version off Assistant2 actually has some serious issues. I tried to plainly update my stock/unchanged .0100 Mavic AND my Spark and it would fail every time. I had to use my own software to upgrade and this was on the very latest version of Assistant2.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmyboards
The "Inconsistent Firmware" message can be something so simple as the battery wasnt updated (you threw in a different battery after you updated) and you just need to reflash. ie Battery is the old fw version and your AC is the new. Simple fix

Hey, I always mock what I dont understand :D
Where where you when we needed you?
I waited more than an hour for one of you tech geeks to chime in and help him! I had to post something to get your attention. Since most of you dark siders only like to make fun of people that are fine with current firmware and software. But dont want to get involved when the dark side fails someone. :D

upload_2018-2-18_18-45-7.png I really appreciate you popping in here Jezza.

The way it is right now, I can connect with the Mavic in Assistant 2, and get to this point:
View attachment 31649

Note the firmware is V00.00.0000

In Assistant 2, I can't do anything from here. All the upgrades fail at the last part: It seems to transfer the firmware to the drone, but then it fails halfway through the upgrade.
The Restore to Factory Defaults fails at 0%.

In DUMLdore, when trying to load 1.4.3 on the MP, I keep getting an FTP error.

Is there a work-around for this FTP error?

Last edited:
Hmm you need to make sure you can actually talk to the FTP. Some newer Windows versions the whole IP address of the RC/Drone gets screwed up and isnt assigned by the the RNDIS driver (DHCP). The version stuff is sent over serial not network/ftp so that will shwo up if there is no FTP. Try doing this video (just to make sure the IP address isnt screwed up [this is ANOTHER DJI fault btw]):
Then try DUMLdore (or DJI Assistant2 if that doesnt work)

upload_2018-2-18_19-17-10.png Thanks Jezza.
Here are my results from IPconfig (note there is no IP address there)

upload_2018-2-18_19-7-10.png

I followed the steps to assign the IP / DNS, then turned the unit on/off as per the instructions.

when I put ftp://192.168.42.2 into the browser I get this:
upload_2018-2-18_19-16-35.png

Trying to update the firmware in Assistant 2 gives this:
View attachment 31652

Factory reset also fails early, at 0%

For 1.4.3 on DUMLdore, it goes through the anti-rollback stage 1 and stage 2.
Then it shows a dialog box saying the firmware file will be sent to the device (make sure you have 50% battery, etc etc)
Then it says Uploading firmware...please wait
Then shortly after it still comes up with this
upload_2018-2-18_19-21-19.png

I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions!

Cheers,

Yannie

Last edited:
Sure you did it correctly? As it says "Media Disconnected" for a start (ie its unplugged) and also it says DHCP Enabled which means the IP you address you set hasnt saved. DHCP = Auto IP address from the device, Manual = hard set.
If you cannot go to ftp://192.168.42.2 with a browser or what ever then NOTHING will flash it, not Assisant2 or DUMLdore or anything else. You need to sort out the IP address etc

I am Shure there's a way to put firmware in internal SD card meaning u will have to open dron e.

Also you dont NEED to do the Anti-rollback (the latest one. Say NO to it. Your not rolling back). Your saying yes because its saying Stage 1 and 2. Dont do that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji