DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help me figure out what my bird is doing

• Thread starter Deleted member 117466
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 117466

My MP has been acting up on my last few flights. Today I took it for a test flight. It seems to be drifting a lot and today it even lost it's bottom sensors and had a rough landing from 3ft AGL. I just don't trust it anymore and flying is no longer fun. It's nerve racking. Please tell me what you see in the flight records from today's test flight.

fr_2020-10-04-20_06_59.jpg

Attachments

• 20-10-04-10-27-30_FLY164.DAT
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
My MP has been acting up on my last few flights. Today I took it for a test flight. It seems to be drifting a lot and today it even lost it's bottom sensors and had a rough landing from 3ft AGL. I just don't trust it anymore and flying is no longer fun. It's nerve racking. Please tell me what you see in the flight records from today's test flight.

View attachment 114463

I also would like to see the video as that will provide some kind of base.

This is the flight path seen from the IMU data in the given .DAT file. After going through the course of the flight roughly. The craft responded correctly to control inputs all the way. The messy flight path shown in your post was due to bad GPS signals ( only 7 satellites seen ) providing incorrect indication of the craft's actual position. That said, the craft is not expected to be able to hold position very precisely under such conditions.

1601872774856.png

The ultrasonic height sensor at the bottom was working properly as the reading agrees with those of the barometer. It seems that landing protection was turned off so the craft went straight down at full speed instead of descending cautiously when the throttle stick was held all the way down. May be you should check the settings in the GO app ?

1601873441801.png

Last edited:
Yeah ... the unstable flight was entirely due to a very bad GPS reception.

In the flight the sat count (red graph) was between 16 & 0 with a positional confidence (blue graph 0-5 scale) between 5 & 0. Going below 3 on the blue graph means risking going into ATTI if the VPS sensors can't lock on ground pattern (no horizontal positional hold at all, & no auto braking when sticks are released). And we see several occasions where the MP go into ATTI ... all background areas colored light green, blueish is ATTI.

(Click on the graph to make it larger)

1601883255115.png

Thanks for everyone's help. What I am gathering is that before takeoff, make sure I am tracking more than 7 satellites and have landing protection active.

Reactions: Bxr532001
Just like where the .dat file was, except it's in a folder called FlightRecord
I think this is the .txt file you want. For some reason the timestamp is not the same as the .dat file but it is from the same day. Wouldn't they be the same time?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-04_[10-27-57].txt
    363.8 KB · Views: 9
I think this is the .txt file you want. For some reason the timestamp is not the same as the .dat file but it is from the same day. Wouldn't they be the same time?
There was a problem that caused the GPS satellite numbers to drop from 12 to zero and GPS Health to zero several times during the flight.
The number of sats in your sky did not change and it was happening high up where the skyview was not obstructed.
As a result the drone had no horizontal position holding ability or brakes for much of the flight.

The only logical explanation is a hardware fault.

that's what i was expecting to hear. I guess I'll have to get it fixed. Who do you recommend?

that's what i was expecting to hear. I guess I'll have to get it fixed. Who do you recommend?
First thing I'd look into though, is whether this is a consistent fault or a one-off.
Try flying in an open area like a playing field .. somewhere with no obstacles to hit and see if it works normally or does the same thing again.

Reactions: maelstrom
What about all those houses with powerful wifis interfering with the flight?
A little wifi interference won't have any effect on the flight.
A huge amount of interference would at worst, swamp your signal causing the drone to RTH.
Interference will never make your drone fly somewhere you aren't flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu