DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please read. Possible future for drone hobbyists

Carljames72

Reactions
I am attaching a link to a video regarding insight to the possible future of drone hobbyists. If you enjoy flying your drones, and follow the laws laid out by FAA then it is definitely worth 10;minutes of your time. If you don’t have your drone registered and don’t follow the guidelines, then you are part of the problem.

Last edited:
He lost me when he speculated about the delay of the Mavic 2 possibly being due to DJI installing "remote ID tech". This is already in DJI drones. In fact, you can choose to enter a remote ID right now if you wish.

I also found that video today and posted it here.No one appears to be interested in the possible revocation of Section 336. The nutcases pushing this want all drones to be equipped with transponders not only to identify the owner of all drones at will, but also the location of the remote pilot who is flying the drone.

FYI. The people pushing for the revocation of Section 336 are the Commercial Drone Alliance, which includes DJI.

In the hearing in the video, they keep citing possible problems with drones carrying radio frequency jammers and other devious devices, but they do not mention any actual problems with hobbyists.

Here is the second video that goes along with the one posted at the top of this page.The guy who made the video at the top refers to this one.

This is not clickbait, nonsense, or tinfoil hat material. There are people trying to heavily regulate all hobbyist drone and fixed wing RC aircraft.

The nutcases pushing this want all drones to be equipped with transponders not only to identify the owner of all drones, but also the location of the remote pilot in command who is flying the drone.

This tech is already in every DJI consumer drone. DJI actually sells a kit to airports, police, and corporate security that will read remote IDs and the remote control location.

DJI Unveils Technology To Identify And Track Airborne Drones

You DO realize Youtubers title their videos for click bait, right? Snazzy title = more views = more $$

You DO realize Youtubers title their videos for click bait, right? Snazzy title = more views = more $$
I also realize that most genuine news articles do the same thing with titles.

If you understood how YouTube works you would understand that no one gets any revenue from YouTube views. Not a penny. The channel only get a commission when someone clicks on an ad. YouTube does not pay anyone to post videos.

Explain these articles that support what the video says. There are dozens of articles that document how the Commercial Drone Alliance is trying to get the US government to repeal Section 336 and possibly replace it with something onerous.

FAA Pushes for Repeal of Section 336 and More Authority Over Recreational Operators

For commercial drone industry to take off, hobby drones need IDs too
Help the AMA protect 336 - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

AMA Requests Help to Protect Section 336 - Arvada Associated Modelers

Save Section 336: Safe Hobby Flying Requires Education, Not More Drone Regulation

AMA Responds to Plea for Repeal of Section 336 - Unmanned Aerial

It's time to wake up, boys an girls. You cannot hide behind those tinfoil hats.

Last edited:
The companies listed in this video are lobbying to take your 400 feet of class G air space away from you. This is gonna happen, especially if you sit on the couch with your tinfoil hat on with your thumbs up your *** Great movie by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't waste your time posting this stuff around here....nobody is interested. I made a post sounding the alarm and all I got was "This was posted before"....LOL....Or you get ridiculed like the guy up there that posted the tin foil hats.

Reactions: Carljames72
Maybe you legal beagles have not been paying attention to the news the last 50 years.
There are people that still post the "they are going to take our guns away" rants.
There are flat earth believers, bigfoot believers, and conspiracy theorists that post "proof" all the time on you tube.
The tea Party posts a lot of things you might get caught up in as well.
It is not mine or anyone else's fault that you want to believe everything you see on you tube of all places.....
if it happens, it happens. But I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you. Thats all I mean by my initial post.

Maybe you legal beagles have not been paying attention to the news the last 50 years.
There are people that still post the "they are going to take our guns away" rants.
There are flat earth believers, bigfoot believers, and conspiracy theorists that post "proof" all the time on you tube.
It is not mine or anyone else's fault that you want to believe everything you see on you tube of all places.....
if it happens, it happens. But I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you. Thats all I mean by my initial post.

You may be right, but the difference is that the Commercial Drone Alliance has already met with the House Aviation Subcommittee to push their agenda. If you watch the videos, they make some wild claims about what might happen without further regulations. After the drone attack on Venezuela's el presidente, they may start getting some traction. Politicians get paranoid about assassination attempts. Gun control was never a serous issue with politicians until after several political assassinations took place in the 1960s.When I was a kid I could walk into any hardware store and buy a handgun. My grandfather once told me he bought his first gun when he was 10 years old. Times have changed.

Nonetheless, we need to stay on top of this. That's all the OP was trying to do. This is a potentially serious issue because they are trying to pass regulations without any representation or participation from hobbyists. The AMA is trying to get involved as our representative.

Last edited:
That rant is usually a sell job from the right and ends with vote Republican. If we had a lobby behind us as strong as the NRA we wouldn't be having this conversation. And I've seen no evidence that the left or the right is on our side here.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Don't waste your time posting this stuff around here....nobody is interested. I made a post sounding the alarm and all I got was "This was posted before"....LOL....Or you get ridiculed like the guy up there that posted the tin foil hats.

I know what you mean. I saw your thread and was also surprised when all it drew was a "posted before." Part of the problem is the video is 27 minutes + which almost put me off from watching. The video content is very good and I think you are right to post it and sound the alarm because it shows the effort to eliminate Sec 336 which could be just around the corner.

However, I do not buy the video's assertion that hobbyists have no input and no seat at the table, and that there is some secret conspiracy to kill off Sec 336 and all hobby flying. IMHO, UAS hobbyists have had plenty of time to organize and submit comments on the record to all key parties involved but they have largely chosen not to. Its like we had an anti-apathy rally but no one showed or that line from Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar:

"the fault dear Brutus lies not in the stars but in our ourselves that we are underlings"

Reactions: CO17
If you understood how YouTube works you would understand that no one gets any revenue from YouTube views. Not a penny.

I know how YouTube works buddy. People make a living posting click bait videos on it. That's why they're called YouTubers. Yes it's the ads that pay if you want to get into details. So like I said more views = more money.

More followers = more money. That's where they want to put the good paying ads.

With all the incidents of idiots flying near airports and other acts of stupidity recently, im not surprised they're pushing these regulations. Lets face it, not all drone operators are responsible. It was only a matter of time.

Reactions: DroneAir
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78