DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Point of Interest Using GPS?

RedZeppelin

Reactions
I've been experimenting with light painting tonight, using just the landing light / LED's of the MA2, but wondering if there's a way to set POI via GPS?

I watched a few YT videos of creators doing the same with the Mavic Pro 2, and they were able to position their drone over the start point, set the POI using GPS, and then set the Circle radius, which gave pretty much perfect halo's above their subjects.

When I came to experimenting tonight, the MA2 wanted me to set a POI by dragging around a subject, but it was too dark (even with lights) for it to lock on to a reference point - in this case a tree I wanted to circle. Does anyone know if it's possible to set POI via GPS on the AIr 2, as it is with the Pro 2?

I've been searching via Google all night, but I'm either missing it, or it doesn't actually exist. Either way, I'd really appreciate any advice / help ;)

Yeah it's terrible.
I think they limited it in the Fly app.

I havn't had time to test if it still available in the sdk, which it might be, but in the fly app I havn't been able to use the good old gps poi :-/

Reactions: RedZeppelin
Yeah it's terrible.
I think they limited it in the Fly app.

I havn't had time to test if it still available in the sdk, which it might be, but in the fly app I havn't been able to use the good old gps poi :-/
Thanks for the reply @surfbird . That's a shame. Guess I'll just have to keep practicing my manual halo's for now ;)

Nothing so far.

3rd party app is being worked on but not sure if it is works yet but I could be wrong

Using center and radius is the legacy method. DJI went completely optical now.
Heck a lot of features were dropped from the M2 that existed in the M1 and Phantoms, like GPS based Follow Me.

I've been experimenting with light painting tonight, using just the landing light / LED's of the MA2, but wondering if there's a way to set POI via GPS?

I watched a few YT videos of creators doing the same with the Mavic Pro 2, and they were able to position their drone over the start point, set the POI using GPS, and then set the Circle radius, which gave pretty much perfect halo's above their subjects.

When I came to experimenting tonight, the MA2 wanted me to set a POI by dragging around a subject, but it was too dark (even with lights) for it to lock on to a reference point - in this case a tree I wanted to circle. Does anyone know if it's possible to set POI via GPS on the AIr 2, as it is with the Pro 2?

I've been searching via Google all night, but I'm either missing it, or it doesn't actually exist. Either way, I'd really appreciate any advice / help ;)
I saw a YT video where waypoints were set and saved for a later night hyperlapse with an Air 2, following the same daytime route. Could you perhaps do something similar?

I saw a YT video where waypoints were set and saved for a later night hyperlapse with an Air 2, following the same daytime route. Could you perhaps do something similar?
Thanks @DavidT_ NZ . I've had this suggested in another forum, but my only concern for this type of image would be the stop-start nature of the hyperlapse process, with the drone stopping to take the images at various stages.

I'll certainly give it a shot though Thumbswayup

I really liked your photo. If it were easy to pinpoint the circle it would take something away. looking forward to more though :)

I wonder if this can be accomplished with something like Maven or if it is a visual POI as well? I know there are settings for the radius and stuff. I wonder if it's something that could be run in daylight as a saved mission and replayed at night like @DavidT_ NZ mentioned? ?

Thanks @DavidT_ NZ . I've had this suggested in another forum, but my only concern for this type of image would be the stop-start nature of the hyperlapse process, with the drone stopping to take the images at various stages.

I'll certainly give it a shot though Thumbswayup
From hyperlapse footage that I have seen, the waypoints do not create breaks in the cinematic flow and I don’t even know if the drone does actually stop. The waypoints simply “steer” the drone around the course. Worth a try. And turn on your LED ..... ??

From hyperlapse footage that I have seen, the waypoints do not create breaks in the cinematic flow and I don’t even know if the drone does actually stop. The waypoints simply “steer” the drone around the course. Worth a try. And turn on your LED ..... ??
Thanks @DavidT_ NZ Thumbswayup I'm going to give it a go when the infamous British weather allows again and the rain stops :rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78