DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro filters have arrived !!

I cancelled my DJI ND filters. I was concerned about quality (not multi-coated) though I am sure they are light with the plastic tabs.

Just got the Mavic Pro to try the filters, only to realize the gimbal initiation problem. I am really shocked to read that it was part of the design. I am going to return mine too.
We have actually updated the design since then, if you would like to send us an email we would be more than happy to get the new set out to you :) [email protected]
-Jeff

I had been using the original Polar Pro ND4, 8 and 16 pack. They were a royal pain to remove after each flight so the gimbal could calibrate. A few days ago I ordered the "Professional" six pack. The Polar Pro website now claims that they made a design adjustment on January 23rd and now the filters can be left on during gimbal calibration. I really hope that is the case.

Reactions: jopolski
I ordered a set 5 days ago and they have not shipped yet.
The DJI brand have clips going around them and the lens holder seems to be made of plastic. I guess DJI is really concerned about the weight.

I am interested in the low profile and light DJI option as well, but they're showing 20-25 day ship times. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I am interested in the low profile and light DJI option as well, but they're showing 20-25 day ship times. Yikes!
Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

From a functional perspective Weight and Low-Profile design are two variables that do not matter under a certain point.
Weight: The filter needs to be light enough to be compatible with the gimbal and operate smoothly, for the Mavic, this weight is around 3 grams, anything lighter than 3 grams will perform exactly the same.

Low-Profile design: As long as the filters clear gimbal initialization it doesnt matter how small they are, they will all perform the same.

However if you like the way that they visually that is certainly something to consider. Functionally weight and being low profile will not effect performance as long as they are within the parameters above.

Jeff

From a functional perspective Weight and Low-Profile design are two variables that do not matter under a certain point.
Weight: The filter needs to be light enough to be compatible with the gimbal and operate smoothly, for the Mavic, this weight is around 3 grams, anything lighter than 3 grams will perform exactly the same.

Low-Profile design: As long as the filters clear gimbal initialization it doesnt matter how small they are, they will all perform the same.

However if you like the way that they visually that is certainly something to consider. Functionally weight and being low profile will not effect performance as long as they are within the parameters above.

Jeff
Wind is the biggest factor when it comes to gimbal and battery drainage, but surely 3g does make a difference to a small gimbal and drone battery? Have you run any tests that would show difference between no filter, 1.5g filter and 3g filter?

Wind is the biggest factor when it comes to gimbal and battery drainage, but surely 3g does make a difference to a small gimbal and drone battery? Have you run any tests that would show difference between no filter, 1.5g filter and 3g filter?

A 1 gram weight difference will have no noticeable effect of flight times. I would even say that a 10gram difference would not show a measurable difference in flight time.

Regarding the small gimbal: it can actually handle up to about 7 grams and operate smoothly. I have 300 flights now with a 7 gram filter I made to stress test the gimbal. To date, the gimbal still operates perfectly.

-Jeff

Reactions: Vince@fwi
I read a lot of reviews and issues with the polar pro filters but decided to go ahead with them because of the fantastic support and customer service that Jeff has given in these forums.

I received my set of cinema vivid filters today and can say that there were no issues with the gimble start up. Putting them on and removing them were very easy as per the video on the polar pro website.

James

I bought the 3-pack (regular) and took Mavic to a remote liveaboard. The daylight was so bright I really could had used higher power NDs for some shots. Few interesting observations from the video and I may consider the 6 pack. Jeff and the PolarPro team took back version 1 of the filters and sent me version 2 right in time for the trip, great service!

1) Because of the FOV of Mavic's camera, PL filter will cause a lot of color shift at certain angles to the light source (thumbnail photo below).
2) I may not had pressed the filter all the way in for one shot (0:54), because the left side is significantly softer than the right side. (I didn't think it was a focus issue.)
3) PL filter works well, you could see the manta ray to the left of the rock! (1:10)

I read a lot of reviews and issues with the polar pro filters but decided to go ahead with them because of the fantastic support and customer service that Jeff has given in these forums.

I received my set of cinema vivid filters today and can say that there were no issues with the gimble start up. Putting them on and removing them were very easy as per the video on the polar pro website.

James

Thanks For the order James!
There have been a few people who have larger Mavic cameras and tighter tolerances, but we are here for them to get them taken care of if the filters don't fit their specific drone :)

Happy to hear everything was dialed in, as it is for most people right out of the box.

Excited to see some of your videos!

-Jeff from PolarPro

My PolarPro vivid lens 3 pack arrives tomorrow but I'm not sure how you rotate them to get the best perspective. Is there a video out there demonstrating this (I forgot to search first, sorry). I think that in a different post Jeff recommended that for recreational shooting you turn the bird at a 90 degree angle to the sun and then rotate the lens until you find the sweet spot on your device and then put the filter on. I'm not sure what is meant by 'rotating'. Do you just put the filter close to the camera lens and rotate there while checking the image on your device? Thanks for any help.

My PolarPro vivid lens 3 pack arrives tomorrow but I'm not sure how you rotate them to get the best perspective. Is there a video out there demonstrating this (I forgot to search first, sorry). I think that in a different post Jeff recommended that for recreational shooting you turn the bird at a 90 degree angle to the sun and then rotate the lens until you find the sweet spot on your device and then put the filter on. I'm not sure what is meant by 'rotating'. Do you just put the filter close to the camera lens and rotate there while checking the image on your device? Thanks for any help.

Yes, you are correct on how to rotate and check the image on your device.
Here is a video explaining what you are looking for:

Thank you for supporting our brand!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Oh, never mind. I found a piece that explains the 'rotation'. You do it with the filter up to your eye and when you see what you like you line it up on the bird using that perspective. Duh!

Jeff, in your video above you show a Phantom with a Circular PL do you now make a CPL for the Mavic?

I would have thought a double glass filter would be too heavy for the small Mavic camera

Jeff, in your video above you show a Phantom with a Circular PL do you now make a CPL for the Mavic?
I would have thought a double glass filter would be too heavy for the small Mavic camera

I think you are referring to a rotatable filter, in which you are correct, the Mavic can not accept a rotatable filter design.

-Jeff from PolarPro

thinking again about it, it would also not pass the gimbal calibration, thanks for your feedback Jeff

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7