DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro filters have arrived !!

Has anyone tried Taco filters on their Mavic? Do you have to install after gimbal initialization?
I just received the 3 set from Polarpro but do not want to have to remove and install each time.
thanks

Not tried personally but they have a video showing startup sequence with a filter in place and from past experience I do trust them as a company. They tend to develop their products properly rather than jumping in head first to try and get the early adopters on-board.

I'm swapping over to the Taco RC set.. I will likely buy the multi-coated set. In theory, the multi-coated set is supposed to reduce lens flare and ghosting... it is noticeable on high end DSLR setups. I'm not sure it will have the same effect on the tiny lens of the Mavic. I Purchased the multi coated set for the Phantom they worked fine. I may buy the polar pro cinema set when they are released but I have no interest in buying a filter that must be removed on each startup. For me, that's a recipe for disaster. Never mind my reluctance to limit the movement of the gimbal while it is powered up. Seems like poor design.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Has anyone tried Taco filters on their Mavic? Do you have to install after gimbal initialization?
I ordered them, but haven't received them yet. They can be installed while the Mavic is powered down -- as shown here:

Does anyone know how much these weigh in grams?
Hi Mako79,
The CP filter is 1.6 grams, and the ND's are 1.5grams. Well below the capacity of what this gimbal can handle.
Thanks for the question!
-Jeff

Yeah, there's definitely something going on with your set. Those will never fit properly. Looks like you got a bad set. Do they all fit like that? Mine are very snug. So much that my flights today, which was my second time using them, I had a hard time getting it off. I only tried one today and it was very tight. I would be contacting them for a replacement set.
Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There could be some manufacturing tolerance on the Mavic side and also some tolerance on our side.
Just shoot us an email and we will get a set out today.
[email protected]

Thanks!
-Jeff

So the correct procedure is to wait until the gimbal is initiated and ready for flight before attaching? The instructions don't state it and I installed the polarizer before starting. I got warnings of gimbal obstruction and overload.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
The Filters are designed to be installed after gimbal calibration. We have a good installation video on our site if you need it.
Thanks for the order!
-Jeff

PP always do this with every release! They jump on the bandwagon without testing things properly simply to get the orders in. They then release updated versions like they have with the "Cinema" filters this time which apparently do let you power on with them in place. However in their defense I do believe they are letting people upgrade to the Cinema version..

Hi Chippie,
We actually did extensive testing with these filters and they are guaranteed to be compatible with the Mavic. We made the filter a little longer to act as a mini lens hood, the tradeoff was that you would need to install them after camera startup. From all the great feedback we received, we are making the Cinema Series version shorter and they will be able to be left on.

Anyone is more than welcome to trade in their current set for the Cinema Series when they are available.
-Jeff

I think with the PP ones it is a mixture of weight and the fact that they actually catch on the sides of the gimbal mechanism. The Taco ones come in at 0.7g, that is a big difference.
Hi Chippie,
The reason our filters will not go through gimbal calibration is because of a physical interference when the gimbal swings back during startup.
The gimbal never swings this way during flight. It doesn't have to do with weight, it is just because of that small added material which acts as a lens hood.
But we hear your feedback loud and clear and are making adjustments.
We appreciate your thoughts,
Jeff

I just received the 3 set from Polarpro but do not want to have to remove and install each time.
thanks
You are able to upgrade to our Cinema Set which will be able to stay on.
They will be available early January.
[email protected]
-Jeff

Hi Chippie,
We actually did extensive testing with these filters and they are guaranteed to be compatible with the Mavic. We made the filter a little longer to act as a mini lens hood, the tradeoff was that you would need to install them after camera startup. From all the great feedback we received, we are making the Cinema Series version shorter and they will be able to be left on.

Anyone is more than welcome to trade in their current set for the Cinema Series when they are available.
-Jeff
Jeff, should I leave my 6-pack unopened then? I'll look to trade up to the Cinema Series since I don't intend to mess with the gimbal once the drone has initialized.

Jeff, should I leave my 6-pack unopened then? I'll look to trade up to the Cinema Series since I don't intend to mess with the gimbal once the drone has initialized.
You are encouraged to use them until the Cinema Series comes out, they do not need to be unopened.

Jeff

You are encouraged to use them until the Cinema Series comes out, they do not need to be unopened.

Jeff
Hi Jeff

I have just received my 6 mavic PP filters via Amazon. I have initiated a refund request through Amazon (i should have read and researched more thoroughly). I bought the PP filters based on past product experience with polar pro , AND service recovery experience (P3 filters and landing gear EXCELLENT; P3 gimble guard, not so much). Once your cinema product is available, assuming I can fit before startup, I'll order them. Do you anticipate any problem with a refund through Amazon?

Ken

Sent from my ONE A2005 using MavicPilots mobile app

I've been using the Polar Pro filters and it is a PITA to get the filter on when it's powered up. Will most likely be upgrading to the Cinemas when they come out just for convince. Footage is noticeably better running shutter speed at double the frame rate.

Polar Pro should have disclosed from the get go that the filter had to be installed after gimbal initialization, they now do... It is totally impractical to remove and reinstall the PP filter each time Mavic Pro initializes on power up.

Last edited:
Polar Pro should have disclosed from the get go that the filter had to be installed after gimbal initialization, they now do... It is totally impractical to remove and reinstall the PP filter each time Mavic Pro initializes on power up.

We did get a bunch of great feedback about leaving the filters on during start-up, so we made some that will!
We appreciate your feedback and will get you into one of the cinema series filters if you are looking to leave them on for good.
-Jeff

Except I don't want to mess with putting them on and off constantly every time I fire up the Mavic. That's why I am going to wait for the Cinema Series.
No problem, we would be more than happy to set up a return for you while you wait for the Cinema Series to be launched. We greatly appreciate the feedback and look forward to getting you a set of the Cinema Series filters.
-Jeff

No problem, we would be more than happy to set up a return for you while you wait for the Cinema Series to be launched. We greatly appreciate the feedback and look forward to getting you a set of the Cinema Series filters.
-Jeff

Hey Jeff

Any thoughts on modifying the current filters to make them work? Maybe shaving some material off of the edge?

I may give this a shot tonight with one of the scratched filters.

Received my 6-Pack today. Unfortunately the CP Filter glass was loose and fell out of the cover. I guess it wasn't glued in properly. I have an e-mail into support and waiting on an answer.

As for the other 5 filters, They seem fine and fit well. I have found it is much easier to turn the Mavic upside down when installing and removing the filters. You barely have to use any pressure to hold the gimbal in place while your installing/removing them this way. Haven't had a chance to use them yet since it's cold and rainy out here in New York.

polar pro.jpg

Received my 6-Pack today. Unfortunately the CP Filter glass was loose and fell out of the cover. I guess it wasn't glued in properly. I have an e-mail into support and waiting on an answer.

As for the other 5 filters, They seem fine and fit well. I have found it is much easier to turn the Mavic upside down when installing and removing the filters. You barely have to use any pressure to hold the gimbal in place while your installing/removing them this way. Haven't had a chance to use them yet since it's cold and rainy out here in New York.

View attachment 2166

UPDATE: Within a couple hours Scott from Polar Pro has already shipped me out a new CP Filter with a tracking number. Can't beat that kind of customer service.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54