DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar pro leg extension

MGVision

Reactions
I would like to know if this accessory is worth to buy. Will it make landing pad useless? Would like hear some opinions from owners.

Macius: Personally, I do not believe that leg extensions alleviate the need for a pad. For one thing, they don't raise the height of the aircraft very much. For another, the ground itself isn't the only factor in launching..there is dirt, debris, small stones, snow, mud, grass too tall, etc., etc., all of which are not desirable during takeoff. I have a large Hoodman pad and the PP extensions. The reason I use any extensions is because my pad is constructed of fabric with a heavy spring around the circumference to hold it down. However, when the wind is blowing, it can get up under the pad and cause the fabric to touch the bottom of the M2P camera. (The Zoom camera wouldn't be quite so low but I expect it too would touch the fabric of my pad in a wind gust.)

Obviously, you don't want the camera obstructed at any time but definitely not during boot up.

There are any number of choices when it comes to extensions and all will probably do the job. The biggest question for me was whether they could remain on when folding the drone. That can be done with the PP extensions as well as others but some will not let you fold the arms and that would be a deal breaker for me.

Additionally, some folks just love to hand catch and hand launch. Whatever floats your boat but I believe any extensions are good for getting the bird up an inch or two and that is almost always a good thing.

Hope that helps...

I have the PP retractable. The only thing i find is if i leave them on and put drone in the hard shell case, Its quite a tight fit and i worry that its putting extra pressure on the front legs (antenna's)

I strictly take off / land by hand. It's so easy that I have actually got rid of my landing pad, and returned landing gear that I have bought in the past. I found landing pads annoying to use anyway, unless I staked them into the ground, they would just blow away. The main reason I stick to hand launches/landings is that it keeps my drone much cleaner, and free of dirt/debris/sand that can cause major problems for the drone if it gets in the wrong place. Also most of these leg extensions only add 1-2" to the sitting height which really isn't that big of a difference.

Further, I have yet to see a pair or leg extensions that I am comfortable will cause zero cosmetic damage to the drone - most of them are very tight friction fit which is something I personally do not like on my $2000 drone.

Reactions: mereflyer
John: I like the PP extensions but be careful, I broke one of the front legs during folding on the first pair. The break occurred in the vertical part around the hole, it just snapped with very little effort. They eventually sent me another pair and so far, those have held up.

I use the extentions most of the time. Even in grass. As for hand landings, Drones with bottom sencers tend to fly away from your hand as you sneak up on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711