DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro ND PL Filter

ERC

Reactions
I know a lot has been asked about filters and I understand how they generally work but have one question for polarised filters. I have bought an Nd4/PL and just wonder if the polariser effect works in all lights and not just low light? Can I just lower the exposure and get the same affects in mid day as say an ND16/PL or should I have bought a few more.

Neutral Density (ND) filters are for reducing light to varying degrees (and nothing more). You use those when light is too bright, generally for video, when you want to bring the shutter speed down to match a certain frame rate.

Polarizing filters are not designed for lowering light (though they will reduce light somewhat just because of how they work). They are meant for reducing reflection off of certain objects from certain angles of sun. Sometimes, in reducing glare / reflection, the color of those objects seems to become more saturated. In fact, it it is not so much being more colorful as it is the color is just transmitting better because the glare has been reduced / removed.

Neither the ND nor PL filters are for use in low light. It is recommended to NOT use either filter in low light, unless you have a special case, such as lowering the shutter speed even more, or you still have harsh glare/reflections on a cloudy day (not likely).

Some filters are combinations of both ND and PL, but not all. That's why you will see some sets that have 3 filters of ND/PL, and another 3 that are ND only (no PL). You do not always need or want both.

Chris

Reactions: Greenflash
Neutral Density (ND) filters are for reducing light to varying degrees (and nothing more). You use those when light is too bright, generally for video, when you want to bring the shutter speed down to match a certain frame rate.

Polarizing filters are not designed for lowering light (though they will reduce light somewhat just because of how they work). They are meant for reducing reflection off of certain objects from certain angles of sun. Sometimes, in reducing glare / reflection, the color of those objects seems to become more saturated. In fact, it it is not so much being more colorful as it is the color is just transmitting better because the glare has been reduced / removed.

Neither the ND nor PL filters are for use in low light. It is recommended to NOT use either filter in low light, unless you have a special case, such as lowering the shutter speed even more, or you still have harsh glare/reflections on a cloudy day (not likely).

Some filters are combinations of both ND and PL, but not all. That's why you will see some sets that have 3 filters of ND/PL, and another 3 that are ND only (no PL). You do not always need or want both.

Chris
Sorry when I mean low light, I meant sunrise, sunset. I want them to reduce glare and increase saturation over the sea. I was just wondering would you get less polarisation at say mid day when ideally you'd use a stronger filter.

ND filters won't help with that at all. They will simply reduce light equally (the parts where the glare exists, but all other parts of the scene as well, so not just the glare).

PL filters might reduce a small amount of glare even at sunset/rise, but in general, they work at 90 degree angles from the sun. So they're mostly effective when the sun is higher in the sky. You get MORE polarization at mid day, or plus/minus a few hours.

Neither filter are really designed for sun sets/rises. While a PL filter effectively increases saturation by reducing glare, you will probably find that it doesn't do it by much when the sun is low to the horizon.

But experimentation will help. Without putting your bird in the air, play with a PL filter on. Point the camera at 90 degrees from the sun (say, to the north when the sun as at 3pm in the sky). If you have a PL filter with a rotating front element, turn it while looking at the screen. See how the sky gets darker (more saturated blue) and lighter. Point it at a car windshield (with that same angle to the sun) and see the glare reduce and come back.

Now try that same experiment near the end / start of day when the sun as near the horizon. You should find it much less effective.

In general, these are daylight filters.

Chris

Reactions: ERC
Thanks Chris. The only reason I say sunrise/sunset is because that's what it states on the box. Completely understand the ND concept to lower shutter speeds but unsure about the polarised, I only want the polarised versions for photos but I'll give them a go in a few different lights at 90 degrees and see how I get on. I didn't see the point in buying the pack so just went with the ND4/PL to try out.

I was just wondering would you get less polarization at say mid day when ideally you'd use a stronger filter.

Nope. The polarization remains the same no matter how much or how little light is hitting the surface. A good C-PL filter can reduce a surprising amount of light reflection from water which can make the water seem more "clear" or "deep" depending on the angle the photo is taken from.

For what it's worth I have the PolarPro ND/PL set. I've used the ND16/PL in super-bright conditions to get approximately 1/4 second shutter speeds for some semi-smooth waterfall photos.

Reactions: Greenflash and ERC
Nope. The polarization remains the same no matter how much or how little light is hitting the surface. A good C-PL filter can reduce a surprising amount of light reflection from water which can make the water seem more "clear" or "deep" depending on the angle the photo is taken from.

For what it's worth I have the PolarPro ND/PL set. I've used the ND16/PL in super-bright conditions to get approximately 1/4 second shutter speeds for some semi-smooth waterfall photos.
Ah cool. Thank you. I have the long exposure set and refularly using the ND128 and 256 and get some good results with 2 second shutter speeds.

Ah cool. Thank you. I have the long exposure set and refularly using the ND128 and 256 and get some good results with 2 second shutter speeds.

2 Seconds? Admittedly, I've never shot from the drone more than a 1/2-second but I'm honestly surprised it can be that stable that you'll still get a decently-sharp photo. Would you be willing to share an example of a 2-second exposure?

Reactions: hiflyer201
Thanks Chris. The only reason I say sunrise/sunset is because that's what it states on the box. Completely understand the ND concept to lower shutter speeds but unsure about the polarised, I only want the polarised versions for photos but I'll give them a go in a few different lights at 90 degrees and see how I get on. I didn't see the point in buying the pack so just went with the ND4/PL to try out.
Get
I know a lot has been asked about filters and I understand how they generally work but have one question for polarised filters. I have bought an Nd4/PL and just wonder if the polariser effect works in all lights and not just low light? Can I just lower the exposure and get the same affects in mid day as say an ND16/PL or should I have bought a few more.
No. put the 16 in and use it even during sunset

It (polarizer) is not really for shooting into the sun, however. Works best with the sun at your back.

There are gradient filters from some sources that might work. They have a darker top than bottom, allowing you to ‘balance’ the light in the shot from above and below the horizon.

Reactions: ERC
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu