DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police came by my house

Donny66

Reactions
Some neighbors complained I fly my drone from my backyard. The officer was very nice and embarrassed but told me even though it’s not his jurisdiction as drone flying is FAA, he wanted to inform me that they were complaining about their privacy etc. Their complaint was they were concerned on how can I control it so high. I explained to the officer that it’s ok in the US under 400 feet and the max height I fly is under 390 feet. Just sad that people are so paranoid. He tells me they email him when I fly etc. I think it’s the same two nosy neighbors that always complain about everything. Ugggg, get a life please!! Leave me be.

Last edited:
I explained to the officer that it’s ok in the US under 400 feet and the max height I fly is under 390 feet
At the moment, there is no max altitude for hobbyists. US law still states one must fly within VLOS though. It seems quite a few people are not aware of that rule.

I fly much lower, but wanted to let the office know I have it set under 390 max in the event I fly high.

Think that could be your problem? You could try when launching from your garden, go directly up till 300 or so and not hover for long, just keep it moving. Can't see them moaning about that, but you never know...

Also maybe try some quieter props, like these for the Mavic Pro

Edit: Just seen your post above mine, Master Air Screw don't sell them for the Mavic Pro 2 yet

Also maybe try some quieter props
You'd have to be quite a distance away from other people in order to take off undetected no matter which props are being used. Even then, it sounds like these neighbors wouldn't be happy if they spotted it taking off again.

There are really only a few solutions here:

1) Try to educate the neighbors by allowing them to see what you see on the screen when flying. Maybe they won't be so paranoid when they see everyone looks like ants on the ground.

2) If that doesn't work, fly elsewhere. Even if you are following the law, you likely won't enjoy flying if you're constantly in heated battles with people in the area.

Last edited:
You'd have to be quite a distance away from other people in order to take off undetected no matter which props are being used. Even then, it sounds like these neighbors wouldn't be happy if they spotted it taking off again.

You could try drowning it out with some banging music, they'll only complain about the noise then ;)

Get a Hpi Baja 5B/T or similar 1/5th scale rc truck, put a loud pipe and let it rip lol jk. Some people are just plain ( Mod Removed ) cos they're just plain miserable with their lives...simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some neighbors complained I fly my drone from my backyard. The officer was very nice and embarrassed but told me even though it’s not his jurisdiction as drone flying is FAA, he wanted to inform me that they were complaining about their privacy etc. Their complaint was they were concerned on how can I control it so high. I explained to the officer that it’s ok in the US under 400 feet and the max height I fly is under 390 feet. Just sad that people are so paranoid. He tells me they email him when I fly etc. I think it’s the same two nosy neighbors that always complain about everything. Ugggg, get a life please!! Leave me be.

You could ask them if they are interested in a free picture of their house from the drone. May pay dividends and worth a try. Good luck.

There are really only a few solutions here:

1) Try to educate the neighbors by allowing them to see what you see on the screen when flying. Maybe they won't be so paranoid when they see everyone looks like ants on the ground.

2) If that doesn't work, fly elsewhere. Even if you are following the law, you likely won't enjoy flying if you're constantly in heated battles with people in the area.

3) Keep flying from your backyard. Just keep the altitude up, keep the drone moving and avoid flying over the property of the paranoid neighbors as best you can.

Paranoid neighbors are always going to find something to complain about. They're never going to be satisfied. Do your best to avoid them but don't let them keep you from using and enjoying your own property.

I fly much lower, but wanted to let the officer know I have it set under 390 max in the event I fly high.

You haven't committed any crime, and I know you were being polite to the officer, but there was no need to justify to LE what you were doing. People should look at themselves first before passing judgement. The world would be a better place if we all "took 5".

Knock on their door and attempt to have a civil conversation.
Best case, you alleviate their fears and they stop calling the police on you.
Worse case, no different than where you are right now anyway
(as long as you stay polite, informative, overly courteous, etc. And try not to use the word( Mod Removed )"... :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the officer tell you to stop? Or, just letting you know there were complaints?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa