DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police came by my house

Some neighbors complained I fly my drone from my backyard. The officer was very nice and embarrassed but told me even though it’s not his jurisdiction as drone flying is FAA, he wanted to inform me that they were complaining about their privacy etc. Their complaint was they were concerned on how can I control it so high. I explained to the officer that it’s ok in the US under 400 feet and the max height I fly is under 390 feet. Just sad that people are so paranoid. He tells me they email him when I fly etc. I think it’s the same two nosy neighbors that always complain about everything. Ugggg, get a life please!! Leave me be.
Donnie, not paranoid........ just ( Mod Removed )....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought of hanging a small American Flag below the drone when I fly in the neighborhood. I bet I wouldn't get any complaints.

Unfortunately the world we live in today I would take the other side of that bet.

Just my opinion:

Being Legal is not the same thing as being considerate, I would never fly above my neighbours property.
(unless invited)

So if you fly at your home then you fly straight up, and then straight back down? I have acreage but still have to "fly above my neighbors property" at some point unless i just want to go in circles.

Last edited:
after so many calls that number and named persons will be put on the harassment list. and the call gets placed on the bottom of the to-do listing (as the police are required to address every complaint), it will be just a fast officer drive by. nothing happens, officer reports nothing going on to report about.
if you even see the officer drive by give him a friendly wave. being on his good side helps a lot.

sad nothing can be done about the peps harassing you. just keep away from them as nothing you can say or do will help.

I am a drone operator, I own firearms, and am conservative. I live in MA and everyone of my legal activities is frowned upon if not hated by most in my area. I do my best to be respectful of everyone, even those that disagree with me but it is getting tougher because many in this world feel if they don't like it you CAN NOT do it!?

Wow, It's like I could have written this post. Drone, firearms, conservative in the people's republic of MA. I feel your pain.

Some neighbors complained I fly my drone from my backyard. The officer was very nice and embarrassed but told me even though it’s not his jurisdiction as drone flying is FAA, he wanted to inform me that they were complaining about their privacy etc. Their complaint was they were concerned on how can I control it so high. I explained to the officer that it’s ok in the US under 400 feet and the max height I fly is under 390 feet. Just sad that people are so paranoid. He tells me they email him when I fly etc. I think it’s the same two nosy neighbors that always complain about everything. Ugggg, get a life please!! Leave me be.
Unfortunately the world we live in today I would take the other side of that bet.

Tell you what...... go up to 400ft and that screwball can’t see or Hear it anyway.

So if you fly at your home then you fly straight up, and then straight back down? I have acreage but still have to "fly above my neighbors property" at some point unless i just want to go in circles.

I have neighbors closing blinds and peeking through sometimes when I fly in/out of my yard too. (That’s funny right there!).
I have an acre, so unfortunately, I have 9 homes around my property that overlooks my yard. Fortunately, I was here first before the new subdivision was put up, so I feel I shouldn’t have to change my ways to enjoy my yard.
I’m respectful of their yards and don’t hover around them and never fly after dark.
I’ve tried being friendly to them by inviting them all to use my pool in the summer which some have come. There’s only so much you can do, so just enjoy your toy. You earned it [emoji106]

[QUOTE="Thekidd76,]

So if you fly at your home then you fly straight up, and then straight back down? [/QUOTE]

Nope never do that, I like to go out and explore new places not hang around my neighbourhood
I honestly don't understand why you would do that more than once

I am a drone operator, I own firearms, and am conservative. I live in MA and everyone of my legal activities is frowned upon if not hated by most in my area. I do my best to be respectful of everyone, even those that disagree with me but it is getting tougher because many in this world feel if they don't like it you CAN NOT do it!?

This is my first post here. This resonated with me a lot. Leaving the politics aside I live in NJ and it's the same way. Restrictions on almost every single activity. Especially outdoor ones. I need to get out of here and move somewhere that doesn't treat me like a child.

I was so pumped up when I bought my Mavic Air. Man did I get the wind taken out of my sails a bit when it started to hit me how many places there are that I can't fly. I try to look to the positive and all the places that I can but man it's rough at times.

I went to a local park a few weeks ago with a buddy who just got a Mavic Pro used. He wanted to check out if it flew properly. I checked all over online to see if there were any restrictions. Didn't see any. We get there, walk to the corner of a huge field and start unpacking. Here comes the park ranger. No drones allowed. There was nobody in the fields. Talking a few football fields combined size. He was actually pretty cool and let my buddy start it up to see if it hovered and flew about 50 feet out and back.

I felt like a kid again who gets a laundry list of rules and told no all the time. Not a great 1st post for me but I needed to stop lurking at some point.

Just a thought, I'd bake some cookies and give them to the neighbors as a peace offering since everybody likes cookies. Then you'll be the known as the cookie guy instead of the drone guy. Plus its a good way to bring up the drone thing.
Cookies are good. After a major storm, my next door neighbor lost power but I still had power. I let them connect to my outside outlet. They only needed it for 2 or 3 days.
After that they gave me $20 for the used electricity and a plate of homemade baked chocolate chip cookies. They could have kept the $20, I was thrilled with the cookies. Really I wasn't expecting anything. At 10 cents a KWHr, how much could it cost if they pulled max power from a 15A circuit?

I think I wouldn’t like my neighbour flying their drone in the yard next to mine all the time also, but then again Holland know pretty small backyards. [emoji85]It is against regulation to fly in the vicinity of homes here, so I guess I am okay. [emoji28] Love getting out there to fly for footage. My backyard would just bore me to tears.

I’ve had a rogue drone flying around my house approximately 20’ above my roofline, and boy did I get aggravated [emoji35]. It was just hovering there with the camera pointed at me for a few minutes.
First, I didn’t know who it was, and 2nd, it was too close for comfort. So I understand from a non-flyers viewpoint too.
You have to fly like you’d like to view it. I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: jsinon

Community flying , its a good chance to get to know your neighbors , and one of the reasos I have used is to let my neighbors know I own a drone and I use it as part of the Neighbor hood watch program and when I fly at night Im checking out the area , for poetential threats , not to many neighbors get upset about that.

I have used my drone several times to call the police: Possible Rape in the Park, Loud Yelling down in the River, Fights in the street, so over the years they add up to some good service, . When dogs bark I fly , The police will be happy to hear that and so will the Neighbors.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor the Mavic 2 Wet Suits.

Reactions: strdr and Drgnfli
I have had one neighbor yell to me about flying over his house. What i did since i am retired and a 24 hour caregiver for my wife i fly on weekdays while the working people near me are at work. Never heard from anyone again and the one that yelled to me still lives there.

You haven't committed any crime, and I know you were being polite to the officer, but there was no need to justify to LE what you were doing. People should look at themselves first before passing judgement. The world would be a better place if we all "took 5".

Respectfully, I disagree. He needed to explain to the LE exactly as he did. The LE said he has been contacted multiple times so the LE is now in a better position to defend the op when the neighbors complain again.

Reactions: Aran
I can’t stand people like your neighbor. No one gives a crap about his stupid life and no one is spying on him. You have every right to fly your drone and you even have the right to fly it right over his property if you want. He doesn’t own the air above him.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc