DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police (UK plods) to get new powers to tackle illegal drone use

I don't like the sound of a 5 Km exclusion zone around an airport PLUS extensions covering landing and takeoff routes. Sounds like half the UK is going to be a NFZ!
It's interesting how the Government is presenting this 'new' idea of registering Drone users ... when we've known about it for a year now ...

Reactions: old man mavic
"For minor drone offences, police will be able to issue fixed-penalty notices, with fines of up to £100 for offences such as failing to comply with an officer when instructed to land a drone or not showing the registration required to operate a drone."
So - what's a 'minor drone offence'? And who's going to be first to tell a Policeman - "Just back off while I land this Drone please" ....
No mention of needing to carry 3rd party Insurance ... I would have thought that would have been important to HM Gov'??

I don't like the sound of a 5 Km exclusion zone around an airport PLUS extensions covering landing and takeoff routes. Sounds like half the UK is going to be a NFZ!
It's interesting how the Government is presenting this 'new' idea of registering Drone users ... when we've known about it for a year now ...
its the typical knee jerk reaction to appear to be doing something we will just have to wait and see what really comes of it all in August

It'll never happen! There's no way the police are going to respond to the odd drone complaint when they don't have enough resources to turn up for minor incidents such as theft etc. How many people have been prosecuted for middle lane driving since it came into effect and cars are massive and easier to see, follow and report.

And there's no way on this earth they're getting a government registration gateway up and running before November 2019. It takes at least a year to tender and select a service provider and whoever wins will have lowballed the competition and request more money half way through the project sending it into a stall.

The first sentence by the analyst says it all, "Sometimes it's important to be seen to be doing something."

Apart from 'registration' the article also talks of taking an 'online competency test'. Any insights as to what this might be?

Would registration with AltitudeAngel/NATS and a test of knowledge of UK regulations like that required with initial use of the Go4 App be representative?

Do you think these things are already decided or are there still opportunities for lobbying?

The first sentence by the analyst says it all, "Sometimes it's important to be seen to be doing something."

Apart from 'registration' the article also talks of taking an 'online competency test'. Any insights as to what this might be?

Would registration with AltitudeAngel/NATS and a test of knowledge of UK regulations like that required with initial use of the Go4 App be representative?

Do you think these things are already decided or are there still opportunities for lobbying?

These things are already decided. The consultation in which people had chance to comment took place at the end of last year.

Reactions: Vimana
It'll never happen! There's no way the police are going to respond to the odd drone complaint when they don't have enough resources to turn up for minor incidents such as theft etc. How many people have been prosecuted for middle lane driving since it came into effect and cars are massive and easier to see, follow and report.

And there's no way on this earth they're getting a government registration gateway up and running before November 2019. It takes at least a year to tender and select a service provider and whoever wins will have lowballed the competition and request more money half way through the project sending it into a stall.

I'm a Civil Servant, and work with (not for) the CAA from time to time. The registration and testing is going to happen, and work has already started on putting these processes in place. I agree on the timescales though. Not realistic.

Definitely agree on Policing this. Although, given the negative publicity you can bet chief constables will make this a priority for a couple of months just to tick the boxes.

Reactions: Steve Murray
its the typical knee jerk reaction to appear to be doing something we will just have to wait and see what really comes of it all in August

This isn't a reaction to Gatwick. This has been taking places for over a year now. The public consultation finished in October/November.

This isn't a reaction to Gatwick. This has been taking places for over a year now. The public consultation finished in October/November.
i agree its an ongoing process,but the events at gatwick and other places are having a negative effect on our hobby and indeed commercial drone operators to some extent .lets hope that the legislation that does come in later this year is not to restrictive and will still allow us all to have an enjoyable hobby

Reactions: Lastrexking
i agree its an ongoing process,but the events at gatwick and other places are having a negative effect on our hobby and indeed commercial drone operators to some extent .lets hope that the legislation that does come in later this year is not to restrictive and will still allow us all to have an enjoyable hobby

I think the easiest way around all of this is to have to take a test and register as a drone flyer before the shops will sell you a drone. That'll put off all the idiots.

I think the easiest way around all of this is to have to take a test and register as a drone flyer before the shops will sell you a drone. That'll put off all the idiots.
It may raise the awareness that drones (of the Mavic size/weight up anyway), are not toys, and that some serious study has to be done before it's unpacked, charged and flown - BUT - having a driving license didn't stop a terrorist hiring a van and driving it into pedestrians on London Bridge ... I can't wait to get my drone reg' - but you are still going to have those determined few who want to use a drone as a physical or economic weapon getting registrations and still causing mayhem!

The thin end of a gradually thickening wedge, perhaps?
How long before mandatory third party insurance and licensing requiring annual subscriptions and pilot re-testing become a reality?
As hobbyists, our best strategy must be to behave responsibly, stick together and speak with one voice; and perhaps offer a method of self-policing or self-governance (if that ship has not already sailed)....

I do hope you're right.

Reactions: Tbredhed
And here is the kneejerk reaction we were all expecting. What on earth is a "minor drone offence"????

I'm also keen to see the first case where a recreational pilot is asked to produce registration documents, they don't have any because the CAA still has no registration system, they get arrested because the officer doesn't know anything about drones, media show up and report how irresponsible and ignorant recreational drone pilots are, recreational use should be banned, more powers needed, blah blah blah blah blah.

I'm ashamed of our media and our government. And where the hell is the CAA in all of this??? They claim they want to encourage drone use but I haven't heard a peep out of them since whatever Gatwick was happened, they've sat back and let ill-educated MPs make up stupid and unenforceable laws that clamp down on legitimate, law-abiding drone pilots and do nothing to stop those that actually break the law. What is needed is ANTI-DRONE TECHNOLOGY.

NOT MORE LEGISLATION.

On that note, I'll leave this with the most important part of this BBC article:
It [UK government] had been planning action for some time - and had already held a major consultation on its proposals. Then came the dramas at Gatwick before Christmas.

So would the new measures have made any difference in that situation? Probably not. Flying a drone close to an airport was already illegal, under legislation passed last year. The problem there was actually finding those responsible.

I fully agree. As a retired officer, I'm happy that the police will be engaged in more important things. It's yet another piece of legislation which will sit in the background and only be had when someone fails the attitude test, ie, is an arse**le to the officer. As for the ticket, you ALWAYS have the option to refuse the ticket and elect a court hearing, and to do that the case needs to get past the CPS as being in the public interest. The government still can't sort out Brexit after 2 years, so there's slim chance of any devastating legislation by November.
Bottom line with the police (from experience) be polite and courteous, and remain within the law, and you won't have any problems

Doesn't sound too bad to me, 5km will cover the fools who think it's ok to go 1km out and 400ft up directly on approach paths, which is currently legal but unsafe and dumb
registration?, no skin of my nose.

Of course it all means nothing to someone who willfully breaks the Law and lets face it the state of policing in this country renders most new laws a waste of time, but that's another discussion

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman