DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POLL: Buying the Air - Please, only current Pro Owner's

POLL: Buying the Air - Please, only current Pro Owner's

• Total voters

Dan

Reactions
We'll it's been 24 hours since the big announcement, and all the unbiased video review's came up on youtube shortly after.

So where does everyone sit on this poll?

Last edited:
If the Air had been available back in September when I bought my Spark I probably would have bought the Air instead. However, now that I have an MPP, I'm not giving it up to buy an Air.

I'm not planning on selling my MP any time soon, but I did order an MA. I'm a sucker for new DJI drones :)

Reactions: WAXMAN
The Mavic Air is awesome but without the battery life and range of my Mavic Pro the advantages are not worth it. Even if it HAD the same battery life and range it would be a tough call, my Mavic Pro when folded is still very small but I don't deny the Mavic Air would be even more transportable. I certainly wouldn't upgrade to the Air if I already had the Pro because the image quality is the same. If I was new to drones? Maybe.

That said the Pro 2 is coming guys and while it won't get smaller it will have EVERYTHING the current Pro has, everything the Air has, perhaps even more sensors too AND most importantly will likely have a better 4k camera in sensor size and with 60 fps.

If the Air had been available back in September when I bought my Spark I probably would have bought the Air instead. However, now that I have an MPP, I'm not giving it up to buy an Air.

likewise. I just got my MP for a trip next month to NZ/Aust. I figure its a neglible difference in size once its in a bag, even a small bag. Who's carrying their drones in pockets on a hike/excursion? lol
I do like the look of it, but battery time etc is nicer on the Mavic. The Camera would be nice to have on the MP too..

It seems the consensus is that "most" current Mavic Pro owners see the advantages to the Mavic Air to be small incremental gains over the Mavic Pro and that there are even a few drawbacks.

Such as using WiFi for the connectivity as well as not offering all of the Intelligent Flight Modes like Home Lock and Course Lock. Reduced battery life is also a drawback noted.

Those with alot of disposable income will tend to pick one up to add to and not replace thier existing Mavic Pro.

I pulled the trigger because I’d like to seriously test it out and I know I’ll always be able to sell it to someone on here. If it does what I need my Mavic to do but it’s smaller than I’ll keep it but overall I love my mavic

It seems the consensus is that "most" current Mavic Pro owners see the advantages to the Mavic Air to be small incremental gains over the Mavic Pro and that there are even a few drawbacks.

Such as using WiFi for the connectivity as well as not offering all of the Intelligent Flight Modes like Home Lock and Course Lock. Reduced battery life is also a drawback noted.

Those with alot of disposable income will tend to pick one up to add to and not replace thier existing Mavic Pro.

The shorter range and significantly shorter battery life are HUGE downsides if you have already gotten used to the Mavic Pro. The smaller size of the Air is either a small upside for most or a HUGE upside if you absolutely need a smaller drone. I don't think that applies to most. The extra rearward sensor is nice as are the preprogrammed flight modes and gestures but those are small things and not worth "upgrading" to the Air as losing the battery life and range. The Mavic Pro 2 is coming and likely by March to compete with the Autel Evo and will have ALL the good stuff + a much better camera in the current size package of the Mavic Pro.

I certainly wouldn't upgrade to the Air if I already had the Pro because the image quality is the same.
The image quality should be improved because the Air's camera records at 100 Mbps versus the Pro's 60 Mbps.

That said, that's not enough to get me to put up with the more limited radio system.

I care enough about camera quality to wait for the eventual Pro 2, not an incremental improvement like the Air's camera.

Still waiting for the real deal MP2 of it's coming out, if not I'll be looking @ Autel EVO if they can deliver what they're promoting.

Let’s see 14min battery vs 21min battery in real use..... I’ll take the longer use device ftw

I have 2 mavics and wanted to sell one to raise cash for a phantom 4 advanced and I checked craigslist prices and listed it for a little less ($750) and so far no hits. Its looking like The mavic air will drive the prices of used mavic pros down.

Ordered the Air but that's got nothing to do with the MP, it's to replace my Spark. MP is still not going anywhere outside my immediate reach.

The Mavic Air is awesome but without the battery life and range of my Mavic Pro the advantages are not worth it. Even if it HAD the same battery life and range it would be a tough call, my Mavic Pro when folded is still very small but I don't deny the Mavic Air would be even more transportable. I certainly wouldn't upgrade to the Air if I already had the Pro because the image quality is the same. If I was new to drones? Maybe.

That said the Pro 2 is coming guys and while it won't get smaller it will have EVERYTHING the current Pro has, everything the Air has, perhaps even more sensors too AND most importantly will likely have a better 4k camera in sensor size and with 60 fps.
Agreed!

Things that killed it for me

• Lack of OccuSync, really wifi :eek: with something flying in the sky.

• No Screen on remote. OK so is DJI telling us the app is perfect and we won't see any disconnections anymore and we don't need the telemetry data. If you ever experienced this then the minutes start to count down real quick on the battery as your scramble to reconnect and get the drone back

• Fixed Focus - remember all the issue's of Mavic fuzzy focus at the beginning until people realized that they can tap the screen to engage the auto focus.

• Shorter battery life - Don't need to say anything more

I bought the Air fly more combo. I'm also a sucker for new tech. I have a pro and Spark and was considering the Air for a Spark replacement.

Having a spark and a MP I struggle with buying the in-between quad. However, I too love new things and will more than likely pick one up after everyone else starts playing with theirs on YouTube. You have to admit it looks skookum as hell and probably chooches well too.

I’m with Msinger, I love my Mavic pro, but I too am a sucker. Ordered the Mavic air fly more combo.

The image quality should be improved because the Air's camera records at 100 Mbps versus the Pro's 60 Mbps.

That said, that's not enough to get me to put up with the more limited radio system.

I care enough about camera quality to wait for the eventual Pro 2, not an incremental improvement like the Air's camera.

Precisely my feelings. Couldn’t have said it better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk