DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Have you noticed a decrease in video/control quality recently?

Have you noticed a decrease in control or video quality over the last few updates?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
OK, so the meet is over. There were two other Mavics there. Both were using Apple devices. Both were most current app and firmware. Both could hit 4000' with no warnings or glitching.

I asked one of them for thier iPhone so I could try it on my controller. With it, my MP flew 4400 feet before the first hint of signal issues. That ruled out any hardware issues on my MP or RC.

I put my android phones back on and once again couldn't get past 1000' before signal loss.

I thought great, now I now need an iFruit device. But with both Android phones behaving exactly the same way, and with most Android users having no issues with signal, I thought it can't be that.

Then I had a (very rare) stroke of genius... I asked if either operator still had their Android mini cable/adapter. They did. I hooked up my android with the new cable, and PRESTO! I had full clarity and signal all the way to 4500 feet.

Upon closer inspection of my original cable I could see where it had been pinched repeatedly between the phone holder arm and the body of the controller. What looked like scuffs was actually crush marks. The insulation was split on the edge and I'm sure the conductors were compromised.

TL;DR - if your having signal issues check your cable for damage. If you don't see any, replace it with a standard cable (using the bottom full size USB).

God am I relieved I don't have to start a DJI repair order!
That's fantastic news! I use the iPhone connector and could sent you my android connector if you'd like since I won't be using that. Just private message me. I was thinking about the same thing. Maybe we could just swap unneeded part.

Reactions: erkme73
That's a generous offer, but the guy at the meet today gave me his. So I'm all set for now. I am going to look at trimming/modifying the RC to prevent future pinching. I may even just go with a slightly longer cable and attach to the bottom port where the wear & tear won't be so extreme.

I guess the lesson here is that when a cable is going bad, it gives off symptoms that are not what I would have expected. Decreased range for both RC and video? Yet, that seems to be what happens.

I don't buy that the cause is a cable. This is digital signal and not analog. It's either on or off. The bandwidth wouldn't increase the farther you fly either.

From my telecom days: Expect your signal to get worse during the spring as trees start to develop the usual foliage. Unless you live in Kansas of course.

That's what I thought too, @jerniganbrandon. But think about it. Digital is on or off, but there is a protocol that exists as packets of data are sent between the RC and the phone. If the cable is compromised, and the data is marginally getting through - or getting through with a lot of noise, the device will have to resend that data repeatedly - thereby slowing down or throttling back the data rate. It's just like using a USB cable that is too long, or traveling along an AC line that is inducing noise. It'll work, but the data will be much slower, and less reliable.

My conclusion now is that this slower rate is preventing the app on the phone from providing fluid video, which the app interprets as poor signal strength. I don't know how that would affect the RC's control range, as that should be independent of the phone connection. However, with the bad cable there were several "NO SIGNAL", black and white screens where the apps is requesting an auto RTH - yet I have control on the RC. So perhaps the app just thinks the RC has lost communication?

While I'm open to it being some other coincidence, the proof to me is that with my old cable, I can't get beyond a few hundred feet before I get both control and video errors. With the new cable, they're all gone. I've now flown several more times, going between the two and the problem stays with the crimped cable.

BTW, I'm in FL. The green is always.

Reactions: Robbyg
I agree with the premise, but if you're not experiencing issues 1 ft away, then a cable seems unlikely. But hey if it works, it works!

I agree with the premise, but if you're not experiencing issues 1 ft away, then a cable seems unlikely. But hey if it works, it works!

Oh but it did. It was happening while still on the ground sometimes (though not as extreme). At about 100' out and 100' up the frame rate started to drop to the point I was unable to accurately aim the unit. Fingers crossed that this really is the culprit.

Rob,

When your video is cutting out, do have full strength HD? I clearly see more cut outs (drop in video for a second) since upgrading to the latest FW. Compared new cached video to old pre-update cached video. Pre-update I rarely had the video cut out if under 1000 feet out. Now it does it 100 feet out sometimes. Something definitely was changed. In each instance, I had full HD signal.

No my cut out only happens at about 3000 ft away near buildings. These are building that I have passed over before at the same height with me standing in the same spot! Normally I might have some slight break up of the video and a single bar in the level dropped. That gave me plenty of time to gain altitude and get back a good signal and continue further. Since the update it just drops by one bar, breaks up and before I can even move the sticks I have completely frozen video and an auto RTH soon afterwards. This has happened on two flights in the exact same area's that I had no problems before.

My best guess is that they have messed around with either the power levels or the acceptable signal quality level it will work with before disconnecting.

Rob

The real frustrating part for me is that I have a Tektronix's spectrum analyzer at home but it only goes up to 1.8Ghz :(
If I had an analyzer that could go to 3Ghz I could measure the exact power output and at least eliminate the possibility that they are messing with the power levels..

Rob

The real frustrating part for me is that I have a Tektronix's spectrum analyzer at home but it only goes up to 1.8Ghz :(
If I had an analyzer that could go to 3Ghz I could measure the exact power output and at least eliminate the possibility that they are messing with the power levels..

Rob
Rob,

We're you able to get the files to downgrade the dji Go App on your iPhone? I assume you need to do this as well as downgrading the AC FW. Always wondered what would happen if you downgraded the AC FW and continued using the latest iPhone app.

This is quite discouraging. I sure hope it's a bug and not

I have one mavic on the 200 firmware and the other on 800 firmware for the goggles. I rarely have issues unless I’m in a high WiFi area. Or flying near the power plant near my house. Try the 200 and the 800 firmware and see if that helps. Heavy wooded areas could also be a problem if not high enough in the air.

I have one mavic on the 200 firmware and the other on 800 firmware for the goggles. I rarely have issues unless I’m in a high WiFi area. Or flying near the power plant near my house. Try the 200 and the 800 firmware and see if that helps. Heavy wooded areas could also be a problem if not high enough in the air

I have downgraded to 4.2.16 android and 300 F.W and it's all good and that's
where i'm staying with my mavic pro if i get the mp2 where the updates i believe are for the new stuff. Then i use a new device for them..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spencergotty