DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll:Mavic Total Loss Insurance?

Is your Mavic insured for loss if it is unrecoverable?

• Yes I have State Farm or other total loss DRONE coverage and I am happy with it.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Yes I have State Farm or other total loss DRONE coverage and I am not happy with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have my drone covered under my homeowners or other policy and I am happy with the coverage,

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have my drone covered under my homeowners or other policy and I am not happy with the coverage,

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I have no drone loss insurance. Please explain why.

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Dont have it, aint gettin it (Thanks Q)

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
Just to verify, you purchased the optional coverage to your Home Insurance policy, correct?

The accidental coverage is not part of Aviva's standard Home Insurance policy. If your agent told you that it is covered, I would ask for it in writing. Aviva does provide the Optional coverage called Personal belongings cover (in and away from home) which provides up to £2000 in protection. I'd still read the fine print on that.
Yes, I had that as an extra. I could have had it UP To £6k I think but £2k is enough

Reactions: namja
Right now mine is covered under my homeowners, which is crappy because I have a $1000 deductible which basically means my Mavic would be covered but what would be the point in filing a claim.

I have not looked into State Farm yet. I had an issue with them many years ago when I was trying to get coverage for something else and they rubbed me wrong so I haven't gotten over that yet. Right now I am still just flying for fun, so if I loose my bird then it was on me, my fault and I just move on, but if I go commercial in the next year like I think I am going to do, then I do need some coverage so I know I can get the bird replaced and done quickly if I have jobs lined up.

Please explain why?

I never thought about it. I mean if it was like $2 a month to add it on why not. But 500 a year? After 2 years if I never lose my drone or crash it into oblivion I could just buy the next generation with the money I saved.

I will look into USAA for pricing here in the USA.

I called USAA and they do not offer drone insurance. Your homeowners will cover liability if you damage something or someone but no separate policy is available with them. Call State Farm....that's what I did.

Wow, obviously you are the furthest thing from an expert, you seem to have some ulterior motives here. I never once bashed SF or any specific deal, don't know anything about it. I would never consider insuring my Mavic as I know how to fly and I don't fly stupid, insuring just for the chance of equipment failure seems like a waste. However if you think you can make drone claims on property or renters insurance without any unfavorable impact, you are woefully uninformed. I'm just explaining the potential implications before people go buying an insurance policy or filing a claim due to your uninformed guidance for a fairly cheap item. Sure you insure your house and car, but filing a claim for less than a grand would almost always be unwise. It's not about your $60 policy going up, of course that policy wont go anywhere close to $1200. It's the potential of ANY future policy with ANY insurer. Your claim information will be in database forever which all insurers use to determine somebody's risk.

So in the future say you buy a nice house and are usually required by mortgage lenders to pre-pay a year of homeowners hazard insurance. That drone claim years ago can end up costing you far more than $1200 on a home owners policy. They don't just ignore your drone claim because you had a $60 special policy. They don't care what policy it was under, all that matters is you had a property damage claim, and therefor you are a higher risk to insure. You don't think an insurer would consider a person with previous UAV claims as a higher risk (especially when insuring a home for liability and property damage) than somebody without those claims? Higher risk evaluation = higher premiums. So you might not realize it but that drone claim could end up costing many times the cost of a replacement or repair due to increased premiums on a much larger policy in the future. They are in the business to make money, I guaranteed they will be successful at that, if you think $60 gets you free drone replacements and that's it, you are clueless.

OK, I see your point but right now it's speculation.....until we actually see someone's rates go up. I agree with you that it likely will affect other rates but I want to see this. One of the guys in this thread mentioned his friend had a claim recently. I wonder if that guy would be willing to compare his homeowners renewal rate compared to the previous term? Would be interesting to see.

Cut @newnan3 some slack, only trying to help. There are only a few SF agents in every state that know about drones being covered under their PAP policy. Its a new clause this year. There is a Google Doc floating around somewhere with contact info to those agents that are aware.

I have that file. I will look for it and post it on here.

What happens if your drone is lost and unrecoverable? Are you covered and are you happy with your coverage?

Please feel free to respond with your type of coverage, annual rate, and deductible.
Statefarm $60/yr. You get a check for the purchase price of you lose it or if it's damaged, you get a check for cost of repair
No deductible I'm in AL

I just actually called Allstate here in CA and I was told I do not have to do anything on my end since I have homeowners/renters insurance. I was told this is actually "Personal Property" insurance and all I have to do is come up with my receipts and they will cover. I did confirm that even if the unit is flying around OUTSIDE my property it is still covered since it is considered personal property.

Did you ask if it covers dropping into the ocean, an what is the deductible ?

I have the State Farm insurance and not for nothing but for $65 per year It covers my Mavic and my Osmos against lost, damage and Theft.

Reactions: Rbruz
Not sure who it was that put that list together, I just saved it to be able to pass it along.
I think it was created back in March maybe??

It covers a total, unrecoverable loss... The is no deductible just call them
That's actually not what you think, unless what you think is not what I think. If your drone flies away, that is not a total, unrecoverable loss. If you crash it and it cannot be fixed, that is not a total, unrecoverable loss either. If you have the standard homeowners insurance from Allstate, then it will basically cover your drone for theft when you're away from home.

Generally, Allstate homeowners insurance (and all fire insurance in the USA) only protects you from a specific set of perils named in your policy. Generally, it only covers theft for electronics when outside the home. I did some Googling for you (so that you don't just take my word), and found this link:
What Perils Are Typically Covered By a Homeowners Insurance Policy?
So even if you really trust your insurance agent, I'd still get some thing in writing, or at least ask them to point it out in the policy.

What you can do is to add it as a Scheduled Personal Property. This is in effect doing the same thing as getting a Personal Articles Policy that everyone is talking about with State Farm. This will cover all perils as long as you operate it like it was designed to be operated, i.e. you don't break it on purpose as that would be fraud.

That's actually not what you think, unless what you think is not what I think. If your drone flies away, that is not a total, unrecoverable loss. If you crash it and it cannot be fixed, that is not a total, unrecoverable loss either. If you have the standard homeowners insurance from Allstate, then it will basically cover your drone for theft when you're away from home.

Generally, Allstate homeowners insurance (and all fire insurance in the USA) only protects you from a specific set of perils named in your policy. Generally, it only covers theft for electronics when outside the home. I did some Googling for you (so that you don't just take my word), and found this link:
What Perils Are Typically Covered By a Homeowners Insurance Policy?
So even if you really trust your insurance agent, I'd still get some thing in writing, or at least ask them to point it out in the policy.

What you can do is to add it as a Scheduled Personal Property. This is in effect doing the same thing as getting a Personal Articles Policy that everyone is talking about with State Farm. This will cover all perils as long as you operate it like it was designed to be operated, i.e. you don't break it on purpose as that would be fraud.
That's not at all what I am referring to. Statefarm for $60/yr issues a Personal Article Policy, is not a rider on another policy. its a PROPERTY insurance contract that covers VALUE of spesified articles. If your drone does away, it is indeed a total, unrecoverable loss. If you crash it beyond repair, it is a total unrecoverable loss. It pays you REPLACEMENT cost, not fair market value. This has nothing to do with any other policy and its only a Statefarm product.
Other companies may offer something similar or offer a rider on an existing policy or even cover, in someway, in an existing policy. I am talking specifically about the Statefarm Personal Article Policy. It does not protect against liability in anyway. If you injured yourself or others, OR if you damaged property through the use of your drone, this policy does nothing.

Reactions: SRJ_Mavic_PRO
That's not at all what I am referring to. Statefarm for $60/yr issues a Personal Article Policy, is not a rider on another policy. its a PROPERTY insurance contract that covers VALUE of spesified articles. If your drone does away, it is indeed a total, unrecoverable loss. If you crash it beyond repair, it is a total unrecoverable loss. It pays you REPLACEMENT cost, not fair market value. This has nothing to do with any other policy and its only a Statefarm product.
Other companies may offer something similar or offer a rider on an existing policy or even cover, in someway, in an existing policy. I am talking specifically about the Statefarm Personal Article Policy. It does not protect against liability in anyway. If you injured yourself or others, OR if you damaged property through the use of your drone, this policy does nothing.
You quoted the post by @Rbruz which was referring to the Allstate Homeowners insurance, so naturally I assumed you were commenting on that.

But everything else you wrote (that I quoted) is correct. Well, except for the part about only State Farm offering this policy. MANY companies have this policy.

Reactions: Rbruz
You quoted the post by @Rbruz which was referring to the Allstate Homeowners insurance, so naturally I assumed you were commenting on that.

But everything else you wrote (that I quoted) is correct. Well, except for the part about only State Farm offering this policy. MANY companies have this policy.
Yea, I just noticed that. Don't know why I thought you quoted me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1