DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[Poll] The Homepoint has been updated, do you check it on the map?

When do you check the homepoint on the map?

• Total voters

Yaros

Reactions
When you takeoff with a DJI drone, you hear “The homepoint has been updated, please check it on the map”.
I'm wondering, how many people actually check it on the map?

as i do not use the auto flight modes and keep the drone in sight to the best of my ability
i prefer to have the Attitude indicator in my small display in the Fly App ,and in the GO4 App with my I Pad ,i get the attitude indicator in one corner, and the small map in the opposite corner at the same time for me the message confirmation that the home point is locked and the light on the drone confirming this is enough for me to take off

I also fly 90% of the time with the Attitude indicator but always check my Home Point before take off.

Always. I have my C1 button set to switch between live view and map view so it literally only takes a couple of seconds to flip to map view check the home point and flip back to live view.

Reactions: DonF01
If, on take off, I get the rapidly flashing LEDs, that are a characteristic of the homepoint being set, I never check the map. If I have concerns over the accuracy of the take-off home-point I fly the drone out beyond any behaviour thresholds and do a test RTH. if the home point proves not to my liking I bring the drone overhead and reset the home point to the drone's location.

Something to note, if you are contemplating trying to set the home point VIA the map, as in touching a point on the map or moving the map to position the home point, it is NOT a very accurate way of doing things. I have tried this, and even with the app zoomed in as much as possible, the error in 'your' positioning the home point can be enough to cause problems, trees in my case.

I use the reset-the-home-point thing quite a lot but that entails setting the home point to the drone's position. My launch site is often in GPS shadow so I climb into GPS reception, bring the drone overhead and reset the home point. Even then, if the drone has been brought home via RTH, I would rarely let the drone land automatically, the error in my judgement of what is exactly overhead seems enough to make things dicey in 'tight spaces'.

If I were contemplating setting a remote home point I'd be inclined, where practical, to point the camera downwards, position the drone as desired via the screen image and then reset the home point to the drone's position.

I can not comment on the accuracy of resetting the home point to the controller's position, I do not think I have used that approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbip57 and smfry60
If I have concerns over the accuracy of the take-off home-point I fly the drone out beyond any behaviour thresholds and do a test RTH. if the home point proves not to my liking I bring the drone overhead and reset the home point to the drone's location.
Sounds like a lot of trouble compared to just checking the map right quick

Sounds like a lot of trouble compared to just checking the map right quick
Checking the map takes 1 or 2 seconds, making a test RTH takes a button press and maybe 20 to 30 seconds, that's neither a problem nor trouble as far as I am concerned.
Besides, say you are out in a large field with a copse etc. near the take off point or in a clearing in the woods etc., could you judge, from a featureless map, whether or not your home point was suitable? If so you are better at that than I am.
When, in such circumstances, I tried resetting the home point via the map, the error in my judgement of where the home point should be was enough to result in the drone returning to above a tree that was perhaps 20 to 30 ft away from where I had attempted to set the homepoint.

Last edited:
Have always glanced at it, just habit. Don’t think I’ve ever seen
it off.

Reactions: Yaros
Is that 'cause it's electronic or female?

Yes, I'm divorced, lol.
I wonder, should there be the option for a male voice, Battery Sergeant Major Williams comes to mind, can you imagine "you have crashed you idiot, oh dear, never mind" lol or James Earl Jones/Darth Vader breathing included.
Or a selectable voice ---Majel Barret or Orac (Blake's 7).

Checking the map takes 1 or 2 seconds, making a test RTH takes a button press and maybe 20 to 30 seconds, that's neither a problem nor trouble as far as I am concerned.
Besides, say you are out in a large field with a copse etc. near the take off point or in a clearing in the woods etc., could you judge, from a featureless map, whether or not your home point was suitable? If so you are better at that than I am.
When, in such circumstances, I tried resetting the home point via the map, the error in my judgement of where the home point should be was enough to result in the drone returning to above a tree that was perhaps 20 to 30 ft away from where I had attempted to set the homepoint.
The 20 or 30 ft away is normal for the mini 2. Actually that's pretty good. The mini 2 has +/- of 66ft I think it was.
It's in the manuel and on here in a thread. I questioned it a while back. My mini 2 almost landed in some nasty weeds using rth.

Always glance as it as it just confirms where it ‘thinks’ it’s going to come back to on RTH.

Ignorance of warnings can lead to 🤬🤬🤬

Jeepers @Skwirl if your are talking about returning to a set-at-take-off home point your Mini 2 is wonky or something.
What are your satellite counts like?
With a home point set at take off and out in the open where I have no concerns about them clipping branches etc. on the way down, meaning I can leave it to land automatically, I would be concerned that something had gone wrong with the drone if my Mini 2 or Mavic Mini was more than 3 or maybe 4ft out.
Seriously 20 to 30ft is WAY off and 66ft is appalling. Even my phantom 3 is good for within 6ft and more often than not probably within 3ft.

Last edited:
could you judge, from a featureless map,
Featureless map? I always keep my map mode on 'hybrid', so I get a satellite view with all the features that I need to make any judgment that's necessary.

Jeepers @Skwirl if your are talking about returning to a set-at-take-off home point your Mini 2 is wonky or something.
What are your satellite counts like?
With a home point set at take off and out in the open where I have no concerns about them clipping branches etc. on the way down, meaning I can leave it to land automatically, I would be concerned that something had gone wrong with the drone if my Mini 2 or Mavic Mini was more than 3 or maybe 4ft out.
Seriously 20 to 30ft is WAY off and 66ft is appalling. Even my phantom 3 is good for within 6ft and more often than not probably within 3ft.
Take a read thru this thread, theres some mini 2 info on how rth works.

theres some mini 2 info on how rth works.
If you do everything right before/during take off, ALL dji drones, past and present*, should RTH within at most a few feet. My MPP has always landed within just a few inches.

* with the possible exception of the Phantom 1 and 2?

My Phantom 3 Pro will land on or very close to a 2x2' take off pad

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2