DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll-What kind of range are you REALLY getting with your Air?

OldGoatMTB

Reactions
I've lost contact several times at about 3000 feet. In test on private land I lost it at 1000' or less with trees in between.

I've lost contact several times at about 3000 feet. In test on private land I lost it at 1000' or less with trees in between.

Reactions: gvsukids
Regularly fly in remote areas with no wifi or cell phone coverage/interference to 5000 ft. range with clear FPV and maneuverability control.

That's WAY more than I typically need.

2500 ft. range is normal for me.

Won't fly at distance in or near towns, cities or forests since US law requires line of sight and I'm a solo pilot.

Reactions: Stealthbomber
Hmmm, my Mavic Air manual says "transmission range up to 2.49 miles or 4 km". It doesn't sound like anyone's getting anywhere close to that. There is a video on YouTube where 'The Everyday Dad' does a range test over water and gets 4km. I'd be happy to get half that in real world conditions. I'm kind of disappointed as I purchased it believing it could go further. It's really the only thing I don't like about my Air.

Hmmm, my Mavic Air manual says "transmission range up to 2.49 miles or 4 km". It doesn't sound like anyone's getting anywhere close to that. There is a video on YouTube where 'The Everyday Dad' does a range test over water and gets 4km. I'd be happy to get half that in real world conditions. I'm kind of disappointed as I purchased it believing it could go further. It's really the only thing I don't like about my Air.
have you tried a range extender?

Correction, using google maps I determined that I probably was able to make one line-of-sight flight of 1.25 miles/2.01 km. Not bad, but half of what the documentation states for the maximum limit. I can't remember if I had connectivity problems, but it was so far out I wanted to get back before my battery got too low, and 1.25 miles was how far it had to go to video the intended subject.

Those are some impressive distances - even without the mods!

Lots of trees here, but I’ve flown as far as 1500 feet at low altitude with no issues. I have parabolic extenders, but have no tried them yet.

Urban locations: 300-600 meters.

Once I was at a large lake, one cell tower nearby. I flew out over 1km, and still had strong signal. At a guess, I probably could have reached 2km.

I was out at a small beach, flying over water and hit 6300 feet. I did lose sight of it at about 2300 feet. After turning around I flew for quite sometime and managed just under 24000 feet total. That’s enough for me.

It's a moot point for me...living in Canada with the rules imposed by Transport Canada for the requirement of flights being within visual line of site, I set my "fence" at 200 meters, and altitude at 80 meters. Through trial and error, I found that I could still maintain vlos with the old Mark I eyeballs at these maximum distances. I can extend this quite a bit with the use of strobes but most of my flights are without them. I understand that the same vlos rule applies in the US so those who can fly a couple of miles away must have super fantastic eyes, the envy of fighter pilots everywhere. ;)

Sounds like each person has different results, but of course every situation is different. I'm really not just about flying a long way for no reason, I have actually bumped up against a limit that prevented my from getting all the video I wanted to, in particular there is a very 'scenic' quarry near me that I was taking video of, but when I got near the far end of it I was losing signal/control.

Consistently 5-7,000 ft, but recently I did a range test, got to 12,000 before I began to lose transmission. I was on a gentle hill and sent it down a rural gravel road with no traffic, no trees, no power lines.I did not use a parabolic extender. I feel very comfortable sending it out to 5000 feet routinely..

Reactions: OldGoatMTB
It's a moot point for me...living in Canada with the rules imposed by Transport Canada for the requirement of flights being within visual line of site, I set my "fence" at 200 meters, and altitude at 80 meters. Through trial and error, I found that I could still maintain vlos with the old Mark I eyeballs at these maximum distances. I can extend this quite a bit with the use of strobes but most of my flights are without them. I understand that the same vlos rule applies in the US so those who can fly a couple of miles away must have super fantastic eyes, the envy of fighter pilots everywhere. ;)
Yes, my VLOS is about 100 yards, I always send my drone out beyond my VLOS. But I live in the arid, wide open American West..

Reactions: OldGoatMTB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31