DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor range - is there a setting I've missed?

I have the SC too and I use it with the antennas pointing perpendicular to the ground when I want to reach a long horizontal distance. That should optimise the range of the signal.

Reactions: Jet skier
I find that with the SC better range is available if you move the antennas up and hold the controller as high as you can. I almost never use the controller with them down. Holding it up is hard on arms over time but gives me best range.
Screen on controller is in the vertical orientation to the ground not horizontal.

Also see what frequency you are on. I try to always use the 2.4 setting. So I don’t let the controller pick.

Paul C

Last edited:
After viewing some YouTube, the way the antennas are makes a big difference. I tried again today with the Smart Controller. With the drone at 400 feet and the antennas pointed down, I doubled my previous best range over the same course. In fact, I still had good signal when I turned around at 12,000 feet. If I had more battery at the time, I would have kept going. So for me, antennas straight out when close (LOS). Anything further was better with the antenna pointed down.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
After viewing some YouTube, the way the antennas are makes a big difference. I tried again today with the Smart Controller. With the drone at 400 feet and the antennas pointed down, I doubled my previous best range over the same course. In fact, I still had good signal when I turned around at 12,000 feet. If I had more battery at the time, I would have kept going. So for me, antennas straight out when close (LOS). Anything further was better with the antenna pointed down.
Yup you want the flat part of the antenna pointed toward the drone

It sounds like you may have a defective unit.

Maybe, I wonder if it is worth reaching out to DJI although it is no longer covered under warranty anyway (purchased used). What is likely worthwhile is taking it somewhere wide open and seeing if the range is any better in that setting, if it is, then it is simply the terrain around me (although it is still odd that the Mavic 2 is no better than the Mavic Air in the same location) but if the range is still poor, then it could well be something with the drone and / or controller.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15