DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Portland area pilots

I'm from the Mid-Willamette Valley. I would love to meet up with some pilots some time.

Matthew, careful with the night shots with a drone - FAA Regulations you know? ;)

Will be moving to the portland area next year, have family there, spent a winter and summer there. Loved it, going to try to make it a permanent stay this time.

I have not heard of that. I am in the Albany/Corvallis area - but I will contact the local AMA club president and see if he has heard of that. I suspect a bad rumor.

I believe this is very old news. You know federal law trumps state law that why we have the FAA for uniform rules and codes. Why I think this is old is because the description on the Oregon site for the FAA registration is totally wrong. There is no longer any registration for the FAA, and certainly does not cost $5. If people are silly enough to register their drone for pleasure with the FAA, its now $25!

So, my thought is that if Oregon can't get its **** together regarding information on the FAA, they sure can be correct on their own information. I call BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you carefully read the ORS applying to drone use it ONLY pertains to a UAS operated by a ‘public body’ and the registration form reflects this as well.
Hobby use and Part 107 need not apply...

Reactions: Trooperh
Looks like I'm weighing in a year late, but I didn't know about this forum until recently.

I'm across the river from Portland too in the Columbia River Gorge. I've had my MP since January and took my 142nd flight on Friday. Never any notable issues that were not pilot error.

Wouldn't mind a local get-together if one should be planned. There are great flying facilities in both Hood River, & The Dalles.

Thanks

Looks like I'm weighing in a year late, but I didn't know about this forum until recently.

I'm across the river from Portland too in the Columbia River Gorge. I've had my MP since January and took my 142nd flight on Friday. Never any notable issues that were not pilot error.

Wouldn't mind a local get-together if one should be planned. There are great flying facilities in both Hood River, & The Dalles.

Thanks

I'm actually planning on going to The Dalles soon specifically for Mavic flying. Have any specific places out there you'd recommend?

I double checked on a club sanctioned place I'd been to but had not flown there only to discover that it is too close to the Dallesport Regional Airport. The local guys say they can't fly there with the Mavic.

That airport is on the Washington side, so if it were me, I'd just head south on Hwy 197 toward Dufur a few miles to distance myself from it, but I certainly do not know the local rules there, if any.

Reactions: lerxst
Today was a much better day to fly! Unfortunately my ND filters won't pass the gimbal initialization so I have to get some new ones...

Tomorrow, heading to St Helens

Hi--What ND filters did you have the problem with? Thanks :)

Hey guys just seeing who's all out in Portland area, I went from a phantom2 to the mavic, big learning curve but fun to fly.
0f148cf77f022c5b24aaa6476a69de6e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Great shot! I built up the courage last week and was down there as well. You put yours in tripod mode for that? I think I was in manual photo mode, two or three seconds ISO 100. I took off from the park just North of the bridge and backed out over the river. Had to get that red nose photo!

Nice to finally have a nice weather weekend!

1st drone video. Not the most exciting video but it sure gets me excited to do more with it!

Wow, nicely done! Great way to capture a memory like that. I took mine out to the Eagle Creek area last year and you just never know what the future holds. Good choice for music too.

Reactions: REO’s MavAir
Hey guys just seeing who's all out in Portland area, I went from a phantom2 to the mavic, big learning curve but fun to fly.
0f148cf77f022c5b24aaa6476a69de6e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
By the way, Im also a PNW resident, east Multnomah County. Unfortunately its a little, shall we say, breezy out here today to fly. Hoping for a little more snow this year to get some great snowy overhead shots of roads up on Mt Hood or around town. Here's one from my flight last week

92eabdd6fdedcdfb5418c2f46099b656.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: REO’s MavAir
By the way, Im also a PNW resident, east Multnomah County. Unfortunately its a little, shall we say, breezy out here today to fly. Hoping for a little more snow this year to get some great snowy overhead shots of roads up on Mt Hood or around town. Here's one from my flight last week

92eabdd6fdedcdfb5418c2f46099b656.jpg
I am new to the area, but this shot looks pretty high up and right downtown or in the Pearl. Did you have to notify airports and heliports before you took this.

Hey all - I come to town for business a few times a year, and recently purchased a Mavic Air. Wondering what some good areas to fly are, as my next trip has me there in a couple of weeks. Flying as hobbyist presently. Had thought about Cannon Beach, but my research is showing the beach areas are prohibited? The river gorge seems too windy, so I debated going up to Hood. Love to hear any tips or thoughts.

Thank you.

I live out in Yamhill county near the Van Duzer corridor to the coast...in the hills on the valley side. I have been flying the Mav about 4 times a week...weather allowing. Doing all my learning...the hard way.
The funniest (or not) was taking video flying backward up the hill and ended up tangling with a tree. I knew about where it was on the map....and searched for over an hour...nothing. One last search before the sun went down and looked down in the ravine and there it was with red lights still flashing. I bushwhacked my way down to it, with the idea of getting it being my only thought. Prop damage was all the Mav experienced.....but...as for me...no such luck. In the winter the poison oak is hard to see. Well, about 5 hours later I realize that I had poison oak...all over!
The good news is.....I heal and I can buy another set of the DJI quiet props.
Being retired has benefits...I can fly anytime the weather allows.
Life is good....

Last edited:
Regarding the Portland video/pix...they were...simply GREAT!
What bridge was that?
I am not brave enough to fly at night....wires spook me.
Was your solution to just get up high enough to not have to worry?
Or....you just know the territory and plan your flight during the day.

I looked at the picture again.....so obvious... it is the Burnside bridge shot from the east end....can't miss the White Stag sign.
I should know better...I lived there for over 4 years.

I looked at the picture again.....so obvious... it is the Burnside bridge shot from the east end....can't miss the White Stag sign.
I should know better...I lived there for over 4 years.

Haha ya I was under the sign to the right and flew out over the water to get that shot. As for heights, I myself plan accordingly, visually/mentally.. then go out and survey where wires are etc and try to stay above all issues at best, do my flight, get the shot, come back to base.

Yes! Was a much better day today. I did 3 or 4 flights around my neighborhood at 60m elevation. I love the Magic, it did great. However, I took it up to 120m one time straight up and on that flight my Android DJI App kept crashing. I was able to bring it back down manually, but it was frightening all the same. Once I had it on the ground, I rebooted my phone and it was fine after that. Not sure on what is up there. Will need to do some research. I think the RTH will still work on the controller without the APP running.

I tried most of the Droid options ($$) and experienced similar problems.
I finally had to bite-the-billfold...and get an Apple mini. Everything got better. In an earlier forum post a fellow noted that if you look at the back of the box that your Mav arrived in, you will see that DJI designed the Mav system for Apple hardware and IOS. $350 later....it works like it is supposed to.
I guess I just add that into the cost of the Mav. I am not a big Apple fan and I don't want to join the Apple-Only Zombies...but, if I want optimal performance and image transport.....I am stuck.....so...
Shut-up and fly is all that is left for me.

Hey all - I come to town for business a few times a year, and recently purchased a Mavic Air. Wondering what some good areas to fly are, as my next trip has me there in a couple of weeks. Flying as hobbyist presently. Had thought about Cannon Beach, but my research is showing the beach areas are prohibited? The river gorge seems too windy, so I debated going up to Hood. Love to hear any tips or thoughts.

Thank you.
So... Timberline lodge area is anti-drone, they are prohibited there. Lots of signs. The Astoria area id probably a no fly area due to the Coast Guard base there. Seaside has an airport as well. Looks like Canon Beach is OK though. One place I havent tried yet is the Willamette Falls, in Oregon City. That looks like an awesome place to drone.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929