DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Portland area pilots

Funny, I never thought of Kings Valley as 'down south' but you got some good vids there. Just one question....that day-glow green paint on your 'Guzzi' is unique....repainted?
I think of my Ducati's as Italian beautys but I would choose the Guzzi for long trips, I have always thought they had the perfect design for their drive train...a 'V' out in the air, warms your knees on a cool day and a shaft drive so, no chain to drag you down.
I live and fly in south Yamhill county HWY 18 toward the coast.
I need better editing software...

Funny, I never thought of Kings Valley as 'down south' but you got some good vids there. Just one question....that day-glow green paint on your 'Guzzi' is unique....repainted?
I think of my Ducati's as Italian beautys but I would choose the Guzzi for long trips, I have always thought they had the perfect design for their drive train...a 'V' out in the air, warms your knees on a cool day and a shaft drive so, no chain to drag you down.
I live and fly in south Yamhill county HWY 18 toward the coast.

The first series of the V11 Sport were green, black and silver. All with red frames. So factory color.

I assume you've visited all of those bridges since they are in your backyard?

Got out at lunchtime to snap some photos. Beautiful day to fly.

45962244871_eb0e3f0641_k.jpg

45050102175_9e7ab0085a_k.jpg

45050101545_314a8a47fa_k.jpg

Got out at lunchtime to snap some photos. Beautiful day to fly.

45962244871_eb0e3f0641_k.jpg

45050102175_9e7ab0085a_k.jpg

45050101545_314a8a47fa_k.jpg
Very nice! Did you launch from the park at 154th and Walker? I have a friend that lives next to the park. I was thinking of going over there to fly.

Very nice! Did you launch from the park at 154th and Walker? I have a friend that lives next to the park. I was thinking of going over there to fly.

Apparently it’s not legal to launch from that park. Found that out afterwards. Tualatin Parks and Rec are a bit of a pain and have a pretty blanket statement about model rockets and model airplanes. :rolleyes:

I wasn't harassed but then again I was only there for a few minutes. I moved closer to be able to keep an eye on the Air.

Last edited:
I am waiting for my first drone as well. Should have after New year. Gifford pinchot is a great place for photos. A drone can produce some spectular footage. I'm anxious although I'll be practicing flight all winter waiting for that area too melt off. Greetings to all I'm new here.

Reactions: swooshdave
I would love to fly on the Vancouver side across from Sauvie Island. I've been up the Lower River Rd. a few times and you could get some great shots of ships coming down the Columbia. I know we were at least 1000ft up but the last time I flew into PDX we looked like we were skimming the farms on Sauvie Island.

Hi, new Mavic 2 Pro pilot in Portland area here. I’m looking to see if there are any good locations for flying, getting practice and generally just getting out somewhere to do some good photo and video shooting. I have the apps to show flight restricted areas and living in Hillsboro I haven’t much local option. I’ve been to the east side of Mt. Hood and Hagg Lake so far with good amounts of privacy. But of course I’m really interested in finding new places. Coastal regions especially if anyone has any experience with that. Thanks!

U can go to woodland up i.5. I go there often several beaches that are quiet enough to fly around the river. St Helens is directly across. You'll need a discover pass. "Maybe"? I have one.

Great picture - I've lived in Portland most of my life seen and done darn near just about everything. MY DRONES have given me a new lease on life. Having the ability to see the town and surrounds from a different perspective gives me a child-like feeling. Drones and Rain hum - the picture of the clouds was taken after I flew big ZEEK (Mavic pro 2) into a thunderstorm in search of lightning. Look one of us had to do it and I can't physically fly so ZEEK drew the short straw. It rained hard! He performed like a champ!

Attachments

• DJI_0647.jpg
    DJI_0647.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
I live in Beaverton and recently bought a Mavic Air. I decided to research restrictions in local city parks (couldn't find anything online). Since most Beaverton parks fall under THPRD management, I called them. I was transferred to the "risk management" department and spoke to Mark Hokkanen. He informed me that there are no drone restrictions in Beaverton parks - other than what the FAA has already decreed (not over large crowds for example).

There are a couple of exceptions. The park next to the Beaverton Library is the only Beaverton park run by the city of Beaverton (which would have their own rules), and I don't know what they are. That's kind of a busy place, wouldn't want to fly there anyway. Cooper Mountain Nature Park has a no drone rule. Mark told me that Cooper Mountain is owned by Metro (but managed by THPRD). Because it's Metro's property, Metro makes the rules.

The take-away, is that the vast majority of parks in Beaverton or in the THPRD district allow drones, just use common sense. THPRD map area showing each park. I'm aware that Portland has a no-drone rule for their parks. For now however, things are less restricted in the suburbs.

Mark also told me something interesting. He said that THPRD encourages people to fly drones at the open field on the south side of the house at 4050 SW 184th ave, Beaverton, 97007. Google maps shows it's next to Arnold park (but I'm not sure if it's actually part of Arnold park). He said it's sometimes reserved by a local drone club on weekends, but can be used by anyone during the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skybear400
Drones and Rain hum - the picture of the clouds was taken after I flew big ZEEK (Mavic pro 2) into a thunderstorm in search of lightning. Look one of us had to do it and I can't physically fly so ZEEK drew the short straw. It rained hard! He performed like a champ!
Did you have to pull a screen capture from a video - or were you lucky enough to actually take the photo during the lightning strike?

I live in Beaverton and recently bought a Mavic Air. I decided to research restrictions in local city parks (couldn't find anything online). Since most Beaverton parks fall under THPRD management, I called them. I was transferred to the "risk management" department and spoke to Mark Hokkanen. He informed me that there are no drone restrictions in Beaverton parks - other than what the FAA has already decreed (not over large crowds for example).

There are a couple of exceptions. The park next to the Beaverton Library is the only Beaverton park run by the city of Beaverton (which would have their own rules), and I don't know what they are. That's kind of a busy place, wouldn't want to fly there anyway. Cooper Mountain Nature Park has a no drone rule. Mark told me that Cooper Mountain is owned by Metro (but managed by THPRD). Because it's Metro's property, Metro makes the rules.

The take-away, is that the vast majority of parks in Beaverton or in the THPRD district allow drones, just use common sense. THPRD map area showing each park. I'm aware that Portland has a no-drone rule for their parks. For now however, things are less restricted in the suburbs.

Mark also told me something interesting. He said that THPRD encourages people to fly drones at the open field on the south side of the house at 4050 SW 184th ave, Beaverton, 97007. Google maps shows it's next to Arnold park (but I'm not sure if it's actually part of Arnold park). He said it's sometimes reserved by a local drone club on weekends, but can be used by anyone during the week.

This is good info, thank you. I just got a Mavic Air for Christmas and have been looking for places to fly.

Thanks for this post. Informative and encouraging!

Hi Wilsonville. Rural Newberg here! Beautiful pic of Mt. Hood. Really nice.

Hi guys! I live in Northeast Portland’s Woodlawn neighborhood under class C air space. I’m always looking to get a little bit out of town and get on up!
Also just got passed my part 107 exam with the FAA, if you’re interested I can help with study advice.
Cheers & Airships Up!

I live in NE Hillsboro near the Orenco Max Station and one block from the Orenco Woods Nature Park. I did some online research to see if there was any rules governing drone use in any of the city parks. I searched the City of Hillsboro Parks website and city municipal code concerning parks and found nothing. Next I emailed the city to ask and after a number of emails all saying I couldn't I was directed to the municipal code they interpret in a way that prohibits drone use in parks.

For those interested the code is Section 9.32.060 paragraph D titled Activities Restricted to Designated Area's. To quote the response I got from the city about this code "The list included there is not comprehensive (and I realize that the use of drones is not specifically stated), but the potentially hazardous nature of operating UAV’s in public parks would place the activity in this category. I also realize that we don’t currently have a designated area for flying drones but, similarly, we don’t have any City-owned golf courses and wouldn’t allow someone to play in our parks.". My response was pointing out all the things they allow that have a significantly higher hazard potential then drone use would and how it appears drones are being singled out for exclusion but they are unwilling to listen. If enough people contact the city asking about flying drones in city parks maybe they will create a place for us to fly.

I also contacted the State of Oregon Forestry Department and they do allow drone use in state forest land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000