DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible ESC failure

BP021188

Reactions
I put the mavic into a hover above the boat and it updated home point. As soon as it did that, it went into a large half moon shape without my input. I tried return to home, pause, all the modes on the side of the controller. When I saw it on the live video heading toward the water, I tried getting more altitude but that seemed to make it worse. Mavic was completely un responsive to anything accept a slow rotation.
As for the warnings for wind, it was dead calm that evening so I assume it was part of the glitch. The drone was almost directly over head when it set home point and took off.

Please see attached log.

Reactions: radman
I put the mavic into a hover above the boat and it updated home point. As soon as it did that, it went into a large half moon shape without my input. I tried return to home, pause, all the modes on the side of the controller. When I saw it on the live video heading toward the water, I tried getting more altitude but that seemed to make it worse. Mavic was completely un responsive to anything accept a slow rotation.
As for the warnings for wind, it was dead calm that evening so I assume it was part of the glitch. The drone was almost directly over head when it set home point and took off.

Please see attached log.

@Thunderdrones @sar104 Can you guys help out here. I sent him here from FB to see if you guys know whats up with this. I saw his air data logs. BP can you post that photo of the logs. Also can you recover the logs from your device. Here is a link HOW TO: Retrieve DJI Phantom Flight Logs from an Apple Device - Phantom Help

I notice air data showed weak signal at the end, any chance you have it set to land if signal is lost? Can you double check on your app?

Reactions: CarlStarke
Thanks Jdawg, sometimes I forget that not everyone knows to do that.
Sometime soon I will need to remember to do this and I will be able to scout my own posts for help.

(Update)
The logs have been reviewed and DJI has concluded it is a warranty issue and are offering to send me a new one at no charge. Hoping to learn what the actual issue was so I can watch for any signs of it on this next round. Good on DJI for prompt response and making it right.

So is this a common issue if I get that warning in the future?
You shouldn't take off if you get a warning, but on a boat you wouldn't easily get a good new calibration anyway.
In practice if compass issue is announced and it's obvious why, e.g metal nearby the error might clear when you go up a few feet away from it, but be very cautious until all seems well.
Or at any rate trying that would be better than doing a 'wrong' calibration in an unsuitable place.

Speaking of compass here is my observation.

I live in a flat. Whenever I used to start up MP1 inside my flat, I had constant red warnings of compass interference. This is pretty much expected, as in my area they put a lot of reinforced rebars into the cement between the floors.

My new MP2 shown dramatically less red warnings compared to MP1 when started at the same point.

Is the MP2 less prone to magnetic field distortion? Don't know. Is the MP1 more sensitive to magnetic distortion? Who knows.

I just hope, the lack of second compass in MP2 will not be proved as a bad design choice.

We 'll see.

Im not sure its warning threshold hasnt just changed.
Mine arrived from factory, 50% of the way across and in the yellow - it didnt prompt me to calibrate.

Im not sure dual compass helps a lot on a mavic - they're so close together its likely both will experience the same interference source.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raghuramnaidujoy