DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post your best Photo From Mavic

From Kootenay BC this past weekend. The first picture was from Monday before the snow came. The other two where from Saturday morning. Best day. I’m back home in Southern California now. What a great trip.

Reactions: genesimmons
..... I have found myself now taking stills over video as came into droning from a photography background and with this camera the raw footage is superb allowing you a lot of control post edit.
My other issue with the air was the range; typically anything past 300m resulted in stuttering and thats was in countryside settings; the M2P I have taken more than 4.5km away without a single drop and probably could have gone further.
Thanks Gerald. I have watched numerous video reviews and comparisons featuring the M2P and read lots of articles but nothing beats reading the opinion of an actual user like yourself. Your experience of moving up to a M2P after getting to know the strengths and weaknesses of your AIR is likely to predict quite accurately what would be my feelings should I move from my MP to a M2P.

It seems that the M2P is the closest yet to having a camera in the air that has so few shortcomings that it stops you always wishing for something better. Personally I have always thought that DJI should offer a 'Photographers' version of their models. The MP flies so well and once you have tweaked the gimbal it is so good that it seems a waste to have an inferior camera hanging off it. I would happily do without many of the features such as collision avoidance, smart take off and landing etc so probably losing those bottom sensors and just keeping RTH as the one navaid. All the savings could be put into a variable aperture camera with a much better lens. You could maybe even keep the same sensor size and just upgrade the electronics. Anyway, I have been thinking the above for a long time now and nothing has happened so the M2P is the only option.

You mention the range you are getting. Does the controller in the M2P still have the same two modes ie low power CE for Europe and FCC for the rest of the world ? If so, your range is very good and probably much better than I would get with my CE Tx.

So thanks again and I would still like to hear the opinions of others on your two shots of the sea/harbour. I take a lot of my footage over water and know that the sea is a challenging subject. It appears monotonous but with any wind it is often full of countless small variations in contrast and colour.

Paul

Thanks Gerald. I have watched numerous video reviews and comparisons featuring the M2P and read lots of articles but nothing beats reading the opinion of an actual user like yourself. Your experience of moving up to a M2P after getting to know the strengths and weaknesses of your AIR is likely to predict quite accurately what would be my feelings should I move from my MP to a M2P.

It seems that the M2P is the closest yet to having a camera in the air that has so few shortcomings that it stops you always wishing for something better. Personally I have always thought that DJI should offer a 'Photographers' version of their models. The MP flies so well and once you have tweaked the gimbal it is so good that it seems a waste to have an inferior camera hanging off it. I would happily do without many of the features such as collision avoidance, smart take off and landing etc so probably losing those bottom sensors and just keeping RTH as the one navaid. All the savings could be put into a variable aperture camera with a much better lens. You could maybe even keep the same sensor size and just upgrade the electronics. Anyway, I have been thinking the above for a long time now and nothing has happened so the M2P is the only option.

You mention the range you are getting. Does the controller in the M2P still have the same two modes ie low power CE for Europe and FCC for the rest of the world ? If so, your range is very good and probably much better than I would get with my CE Tx.

So thanks again and I would still like to hear the opinions of others on your two shots of the sea/harbour. I take a lot of my footage over water and know that the sea is a challenging subject. It appears monotonous but with any wind it is often full of countless small variations in contrast and colour.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes I believe there still exists the two modes CE and FCC. With the AIR I performed the fake location hack to put into into FCC mode and flew it a maximum of 1km away. It certainly made a huge difference to the range and image stability. With the M2P I dont think there is an easy way to do the FCC hack so I have been flying in CE mode. It has not stuttered once, even on a nexus 7 tablet. I did push the boat a bit and flew it over the ocean to see some ships and it went 4.5km away before I lost my nerve; not one frame was dropped. Another advantage is as the M2P is bigger and has more lights its much easier to see so can keep line of sight to the 500m legal limits.

I have just purchased an iPad mini to replace the nexus as had frequent crashes of the application; around 50% of the time I was flying with the M2p but only suffered the same once or twice with the air in all the flights I took with it.

G

360 Pano with a Mavic Air on Tuesday evening in Pensacola, FL. (The day before Hurricane Michael showed up on the panhandle.) Can anyone tell me how to remove the top blurry part? Or how to post the round version that shows up on the DJI app?
View attachment 49787

Hi,

You could just crop that part out with a photo editing tool or if you have adobe photoshop use the content aware function:

Want me to have a go on it for you?

360 Pano with a Mavic Air on Tuesday evening in Pensacola, FL. (The day before Hurricane Michael showed up on the panhandle.) Can anyone tell me how to remove the top blurry part? Or how to post the round version that shows up on the DJI app?
View attachment 49787
Hi Marhey,

i had five minutes so did a quick and dirty edit of the photo for you. Do you have the raw image file rather than the JPEG? I could do a lot more with the RAW file as it keeps a lot more of the images data. I am not happy with the sky on this edit as parts look too stretched but will give you an idea what can be done with photoshop given more time. :)

20181012Marhey - 181012 - MavicPilots -HD.jpg

Hi Paul,

Yes I believe there still exists the two modes CE and FCC. With the AIR I performed the fake location hack to put into into FCC mode and flew it a maximum of 1km away. It certainly made a huge difference to the range and image stability. With the M2P I dont think there is an easy way to do the FCC hack so I have been flying in CE mode. It has not stuttered once, even on a nexus 7 tablet. I did push the boat a bit and flew it over the ocean to see some ships and it went 4.5km away before I lost my nerve; not one frame was dropped. Another advantage is as the M2P is bigger and has more lights its much easier to see so can keep line of sight to the 500m legal limits.

I have just purchased an iPad mini to replace the nexus as had frequent crashes of the application; around 50% of the time I was flying with the M2p but only suffered the same once or twice with the air in all the flights I took with it.

G
Unfortunately you can't do the FCC hack on the Mavic Pro so I am stuck with the nanny state mode. I can rollback the firmware but that is not so easy on a recent version like I have. On the M2P it does not seem so important if you are getting that sort of range. I was thinking that if I decided to get a M2P I would find a way to get a grey import and do without the UK warranty so I could get a FCC model. I don't know if you can buy a UK airframe and a worldwide controller or if they have to be matched. The annoying thing is that next year we will leave the EU so in theory will not be bound by the CE thing but DJI will still treat us as part of Europe.

Interesting that the same app crashed controlling the M2P but not the Air. There must be some version variants that it downloads when it knows what model it is going to control.

Edit : think I might have read this before but the controller is the same for ce/fcc and it is just the location that determines output power so no advantage getting one from the US. Here we have to be <100mw vs 400mw for FCC. 2.4 ghz is also licenced for medical use so maybe that is the justification. We should think ourselves lucky as in France they are supposed to be <10mw ! Maybe if I can't spoof the controller you might be able to buy a small GPS tx that mimics a different location. I know you can get jammers for next to nothing but they are probably very crude and just swamp a small area with raw power. Getting something to transmit a different location might have to pretend to be 10+ satellites which does not sound easy ;)
Anyway, if there is a sensible reason to limit the power then I am cool with it. It is only a challenge to be overcome if it is just some jobsworth making a decision based on an extremely unlikely situation.

Last edited:
[
d7121c40947eca1cc5762b92dc37d036.jpg

Driving thru the darkness...
Portland, OR

Richard (@jeplane) • Instagram photos and videos

Hi Marhey,

i had five minutes so did a quick and dirty edit of the photo for you. Do you have the raw image file rather than the JPEG? I could do a lot more with the RAW file as it keeps a lot more of the images data. I am not happy with the sky on this edit as parts look too stretched but will give you an idea what can be done with photoshop given more time. :)

Hey, thanks for tinkering with it. I will check to see if I have the RAW image. If not, I'll take another. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Terancemcleod29