DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post your best Photo From Mavic

Not my best but my first, picked up a Mavic Pro last weekend second flight shot in raw I noticed my photo editor won’t edit dng I had to edit it on my iPhone I have a Mac book pro but use canon dpp4 same program I use for my dslr I’m I doing something wrong ?387784FA-70D3-4098-8251-7EE03A497511.jpeg

Not my best but my first, picked up a Mavic Pro last weekend second flight shot in raw I noticed my photo editor won’t edit dng I had to edit it on my iPhone I have a Mac book pro but use canon dpp4 same program I use for my dslr I’m I doing something wrong ?View attachment 48189
Canon only supports their raw format in their SW, many other commercial photo editing applications will accept DNG.

Lake Tahoe

527c425968dd4fb48445b045aa917f65.jpg

946185ade8f59fcfb6659933092b0b34.jpg

Maden flight with Mavic 2 Pro. Blown away with how good the camera is for stills.

Gerald, for some reason those jpegs look a bit soft on my monitor so I was wondering is there any way you could post a link to the raw dng file of the second shot with the two harbour arms please ? I would really love to see what the camera is capable of.

TIA
Paul

Gerald, for some reason those jpegs look a bit soft on my monitor so I was wondering is there any way you could post a link to the raw dng file of the second shot with the two harbour arms please ? I would really love to see what the camera is capable of.

TIA
Paul

Sure; here they are Paul:

Mavic Pics Share

Let me know what you think.

Sure; here they are Paul:

Mavic Pics Share

Let me know what you think.
I knew I should not have asked to look.

They are superb and better than I was expecting after reading all the stuff about the camera. I could see from the jpegs that the dynamic range was better than my Pro but even without any sharpening the RAW images come out of ACR looking just so full of detail. I have been using my Mavic Pro for video nearly exclusively and have followed the flock in going for the cinematic look where the absolute quality of the camera is not so important. I have hardly taken any still images as they are often disappointing unless the light is exceptional and they only look good then because you don't notice how soft they are. I know that sharpness is not everything but to get the best out of any RAW image takes a bit of effort and I have been so spoiled by my dSLR that now most of my Mavic images seem not worth the effort. I think the M2 might change that.

I was thinking of changing to a Mavic Air but now the M2 is back in the frame.

Thanks for posting :)

EDIIT: I consider my skills at post processing a RAW image as little better than average at best so would be interested in reading the opinion of anyone who thinks they are good at getting the most out of RAW. .

Last edited:
I knew I should not have asked to look.

They are superb and better than I was expecting after reading all the stuff about the camera. I could see from the jpegs that the dynamic range was better than my Pro but even without any sharpening the RAW images come out of ACR looking just so full of detail. I have been using my Mavic Pro for video nearly exclusively and have followed the flock in going for the cinematic look where the absolute quality of the camera is not so important. I have hardly taken any still images as they are often disappointing unless the light is exceptional and they only look good then because you don't notice how soft they are. I know that sharpness is not everything but to get the best out of any RAW image takes a bit of effort and I have been so spoiled by my dSLR that now most of my Mavic images seem not worth the effort. I think the M2 might change that.

I was thinking of changing to a Mavic Air but now the M2 is back in the frame.

Thanks for posting :)

EDIIT: I consider my skills at post processing a RAW image as little better than average at best so would be interested in reading the opinion of anyone who thinks they are good at getting the most out of RAW. .

I upgraded from the air to the M2P and could not be happier. I only took video with the air but had many issues with dynamic range, many times the dark areas contained just too much noise. I know people say the video has issues with the M2P but to be honest I have not seen them; from the videos I have taken it beats the air hands down. Photos were a no go also on the air unless perfect conditions. I have found myself now taking stills over video as came into droning from a photography background and with this camera the raw footage is superb allowing you a lot of control post edit. The next thing will try is bracketing three shots to produce a HDR image and then see how much more can be stretched from the image. The images were taken with stock settings by the way and have read it can benefit by setting sharpening from 0 to 1.

My other issue with the air was the range; typically anything past 300m resulted in stuttering and thats was in countryside settings; the M2P I have taken more than 4.5km away without a single drop and probably could have gone further. (I will keep the air for the more "risky" shoots or where I just want something to fit in a pocket. Don't get me wrong it is a great drone, but the M2P blows it out of the water in most aspects. (I have a small stability issue which I hope has been fixed through calibration / firmware updates but not had the chance to fly it today)

You can see some of the other still shots on my instagram:

GWJ (@it8055) • Instagram photos and videos

Or video (From Mavic air) on youtube:

Pratting About

I am loving this toy! Going to do some wedding shots on Saturday weather permitting!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde