DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Posted videos don't start in high def

jarnie

Reactions
I have noticed ever since I started viewing videos from these forums that for the first 5 - 10 seconds they appear as if recorded as 'standard definition' (eg 640 x 480) or worse and then sharpen up. I sometimes wonder if the video clip is not in high def.
When I cut and paste the video title to Youtube and play directly there they start in high def.
Do I need to make some change to my settings/profile?

I have noticed ever since I started viewing videos from these forums that for the first 5 - 10 seconds they appear as if recorded as 'standard definition' (eg 640 x 480) or worse and then sharpen up. I sometimes wonder if the video clip is not in high def.
When I cut and paste the video title to Youtube and play directly there they start in high def.

Yes I have noticed that also , but I dont think there is any setting as much as the codecs are loading and that there trying to get the videos to play as fast as they can , so they cheat just a bit.

I also notice that if you get to a video to soon you will find that you can only watch it 1080 before the 4K starts to Load.
So the bottom line is that there is no setting other than waiting for full Rez to load if there is one.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you DJI Mavic in the Rain and Land on water.

Thanks for your replies.
I just find it 'unusual' that viewing the same video DIRECTLY at Youtube does appear to have that 'lag' in displaying the video very sharply. I had wondered if it was caused by the YouTube video being 'streamed' though the mavicpilots web site instead of directly from YouTube.

Thanks for the input guys.

I thought my computer was slow or something like that.

I didn't know this was a thing.

Thanks for your replies.
I just find it 'unusual' that viewing the same video DIRECTLY at Youtube does appear to have that 'lag' in displaying the video very sharply. I had wondered if it was caused by the YouTube video being 'streamed' though the mavicpilots web site instead of directly from YouTube.
It's not being streamed through the site, it's coming directly from YouTube. When the video first starts playing, YouTube doesn't know the speed of your Internet connection, so the video starts at a lower bit rate until it figures out what your connection can handle.

I think I have figured out what is going on. The problem of video starting on low res seems to be linked to resizing the display window and as the 'window' is quite small in the mavicpilots forums when it is resized to full screen that is a big difference in pixels. The same happens when viewed directly in Youtube but the resizing is not as 'drastic' and therefore not noticed as easily.

Last edited:
Yes I have noticed that also , but I dont think there is any setting as much as the codecs are loading and that there trying to get the videos to play as fast as they can , so they cheat just a bit.

I also notice that if you get to a video to soon you will find that you can only watch it 1080 before the 4K starts to Load.
So the bottom line is that there is no setting other than waiting for full Rez to load if there is one.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you DJI Mavic in the Rain and Land on water.
You Tube takes a while to develop the full resolution. The first available release is very low Rez. I usually have to give it a few hours, or even overnight. Also, whenever I open a You Tube of any sort, I immediately got to the COG wheel and bump the resolution up to the maximum, which is 2160 for You Tube. I do not have this resolution problem with Vimeo. It processes to full resolution immediately. (I pay for the lowest level- Pro-20 GB a month, I think).

You Tube takes a while to develop the full resolution. The first available release is very low Rez. I usually have to give it a few hours, or even overnight. Also, whenever I open a You Tube of any sort, I immediately got to the COG wheel and bump the resolution up to the maximum, which is 2160 for You Tube. I do not have this resolution problem with Vimeo. It processes to full resolution immediately. (I pay for the lowest level- Pro-20 GB a month, I think).
Yes Vimeo has been the blessing for video for but lacks any other benefits that YT offers. :(

I don’t see that with Vimeo.

All the streaming services attempt to pick the highest streaming speed that will be reliable. They maintain several video file versions with different resolutions and bit rates. They pick the one most likely to work.

Different services using different approaches, some being less noticeable than the others. The startup buffering delay is one such approach. VIMEO as others have noted, does this well.

Just yesterday I watched a video posted on YT through a link posted here in full screen on my S20 FE. It was very grainy and nearly blamed the poster.
Then I noticed my YT setting was auto with a very low res chosen. I know my internet is slower than average cable broadband subscription but not THAT slow. Manually selected 1080p and then it was sharp.

I have been doing some 'research' via testing and discovered something very strange.
When I select from the the link to Cocoa Beach Florida in the latest "Yesterday's new topics" the video sharpens at exactly the same point into the video clip REGARDLESS if I start at the very beginning or start just a second or two before the point where it sharpens. To me this seems to indicate that the video clip is not high res from the beginning,
Try it yourself and advise if you too notice that it 'sharpens' just at the point as per the attached screen shot which is approx 10-11 seconds from the start. Most interesting.
Any comments?
cocoa beach.jpg

I wonder if's some sort of encoding error. The video is repeatably fuzzy in the beginning. This is not YouTube adapting the bitrate to your connection speed.

Can you post a link to the video so we can see exactly what is being discussed? TIA

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem