DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Posting Panoramas to Facebook

Couling

Reactions
In theory Facebook can show panoramas allowing people to look round them. Apparently if taken from an iPhone etc it just does this automatically.

Now I've taken a few from my Mavic air and they just display as regular JPEGs when I upload them to facebook. From what I understand the difference is the meta data (exif) stored in the JPEG. So I assume the Mavic Air just isn't setting the appropriate flags or including some information.

So I'm posting here in the hope that someone knows either:
  • A setting I'm missing on the Mavic air to include this meta data
  • What meta-data face book actually requires, so that I can hack it into the JPEGs manually

I ended up buying PTGui to set up my panoramas. It does everything for me and once it is finished I just upload the 360file to Facebook and it works.

However you are right..,there is something that must be changed in the type of camera I believe. If memory serves me right it must be changed to a brand called Ricoh. Here is something I copied from a Facebook post by Derek Templeton:

I use the ExifToolGUI program to add the following metadata. The image will then display on Facebook and Flickr. Need to add the following xmp metadata:

-FullPanoHeightPixels=3000
-FullPanoWidthPixels=6000
-ProjectionType=equirectangular
-UsePanoramaViewer=True

I ended up buying PTGui to set up my panoramas. It does everything for me and once it is finished I just upload the 360file to Facebook and it works.

However you are right..,there is something that must be changed in the type of camera I believe. If memory serves me right it must be changed to a brand called Ricoh. Here is something I copied from a Facebook post by Derek Templeton:

I use the ExifToolGUI program to add the following metadata. The image will then display on Facebook and Flickr. Need to add the following xmp metadata:

-UsePanoramaViewer=True
Gut Fuller posted this on Facebook:

-UsePanoramaViewer=True
Guy Fuller posted this on Facebook:

Buddy Moran provided this information on Facebook: You need to make changes in the EXIF data. Camera should be "RICOH" and model should be "RICOH THETA S".

Where do you set the camera to RICOH THETA S in PTGui?

You can do that in windows easily by right-clicking on the file, then selecting properties. Go to the details tab and scroll down to the camera manufacturer and camera model fields. Click the field and modify to the desires value.

So I just had my Google Assistant Auto stylized a panorama photo I made the other day it noticed that there were 34 pictures with similar information and it automatically stitch them into a panorama that I can share to Facebook which I did. It did a really good job and it took me exactly 0 minutes to complete because Google did the work for me. I wonder if there's a way to use that algorithm to manually Stitch panorama's with the Google photos app?

Reactions: FMR
Another thing you can do is use Google Photos. If you upload the finished JPG to Google Photos it will notice that you've uploaded a panorama, and the assistant will offer you to save it as a panorama with the right metadata. This process takes a while, but once it's done, you can download the finished panorama, and upload it to Facebook, where it will display as 360.

This process takes longer than manually changing the metadata, but it's a LOT less work, and basically the way I always do it.

Reactions: FMR
Another thing you can do is use Google Photos. If you upload the finished JPG to Google Photos it will notice that you've uploaded a panorama, and the assistant will offer you to save it as a panorama with the right metadata. This process takes a while, but once it's done, you can download the finished panorama, and upload it to Facebook, where it will display as 360.

This process takes longer than manually changing the metadata, but it's a LOT less work, and basically the way I always do it.
This is essentially what I did because my phone automatically backs up to Google photos although I thought you were photos sort of pick and choose when they decided to stylized photos

This is essentially what I did because my phone automatically backs up to Google photos although I thought you were photos sort of pick and choose when they decided to stylized photos

True, but aren't all the assets that are backed up from your phone much lower quality than the full size assets? Or do transfer the photos at full quality from your Mavic to your phone? I personally prefer to not backup the temporary Mavic folders on my phone, the quality isn't good enough to keep.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54