DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Posting photos/videos from authorized flights (LAANC, zero grid, etc...)

BobaFut

Reactions
Not a "rule" question per se, but more of a best practice question. When you're posting videos from flights where you got authorization, either through LAANC or DroneZone, do you include the authorization number in the details of your post? Should that be a thing?

It doesn't seem as if the FAA is trolling YouTube as much anymore (?), but I've definitely seen videos where people are flying in LAANC zones and I always wonder if they actually got authorization. For example, I saw one video where I knew the area is controlled airspace, so I assumed the pilot got LAANC. But then in the video the drone starts flying over tall buildings (probably at least 500 feet AGL) and then I thought, "well, maybe they got LAANC but they're totally violating it?" The bio says 107, but of course the video description doesn't mention anything about authorizations, so I was curious of that would be a good best practice to preemptively avoid any unwelcome inquiries from the FAA.

Not a "rule" question per se, but more of a best practice question. When you're posting videos from flights where you got authorization, either through LAANC or DroneZone, do you include the authorization number in the details of your post? Should that be a thing?

It doesn't seem as if the FAA is trolling YouTube as much anymore (?), but I've definitely seen videos where people are flying in LAANC zones and I always wonder if they actually got authorization. For example, I saw one video where I knew the area is controlled airspace, so I assumed the pilot got LAANC. But then in the video the drone starts flying over tall buildings (probably at least 500 feet AGL) and then I thought, "well, maybe they got LAANC but they're totally violating it?" The bio says 107, but of course the video description doesn't mention anything about authorizations, so I was curious of that would be a good best practice to preemptively avoid any unwelcome inquiries from the FAA.
Part 107 operators are allowed to fly 400' AGL over the tallest object. I wouldn't think it to be necessary to post the authorization information. If called out by the FAA, then present it. @BigAl07 can shed more light on the subject.

Reactions: bcfd29 and BigAl07
Part 107 operators are allowed to fly 400' AGL over the tallest object. I wouldn't think it to be necessary to post the authorization information. If called out by the FAA, then present it. @BigAl07 can shed more light on the subject.
Yeah, but this video is flying directly *over* buildings that are at least 500ft tall, maybe more like 700-800ft, in controlled airspace. Which is not super relevant to my question, but it was what got me thinking about it.

Maybe just include a mention that yes, you did get authorization, so the discussion doesn't immediately devolve into arguments between creative interpretations of "freedom" versus following the rules. Nobody really needs to know your LAANC number (unless it's the FAA calling), do they?

Reactions: Robert Prior
Nah.

Just post the imagery and call it happy. Block people who have an issue with it.

Does not the LAANC altitude clearance relate to the published altitude of the airport facility for which the airspace is controlled? It is my understanding that the LAANC is a hard altitude which cannot be broken for structures or topography etc.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
You can fly 400’ over the tallest building or object. So if the building is 700’ tall you can fly 1100’ AGL within 400’ of that building. I’m assuming the OP is not a Part107 pilot as this is very clearly outlined in most training courses.

You can fly 400’ over the tallest building or object. So if the building is 700’ tall you can fly 1100’ AGL within 400’ of that building. I’m assuming the OP is not a Part107 pilot as this is very clearly outlined in most training courses.
OP mentions LAANC approval. The 400' "bubble" rules don't apply in controlled airspace. LAANC grids are a hard limit, and you can't add structure height to it without further coordination with AYC.

OP mentions LAANC approval. The 400' "bubble" rules don't apply in controlled airspace. LAANC grids are a hard limit, and you can't add structure height to it without further coordination with AYC.
You are correct but though he mentioned LAANC he wasn’t specifically combining the two scenarios.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest