DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

potential new Mavic pilot

rickardo

Reactions
Hi everyone, new to the forum so it's my first post.

I wanted other peoples opinions and experience with flying drones around St Helens area and the northwest in general. I currently live in class D airspace so I appreciate the rules regarding this. flying under 400ft, not flying over people, under people, into people (crazy laws)

Has anyone experienced any negativity towards drone flying from the general public? I used to fly model aircraft but it was a nightmare finding somewhere to fly and much more difficult to get any video footage of flights, so I sold my RC gear to help fund a new Mavic air.

Before I invest in a Mavic Air I appreciate anyone's feedback, also up for any meetups or ideas on safe places to fly.

Thanks in advance

Rick

I have somewhere around 700 flights under my belt and have only had 3 negative encounters with bystanders.
Most think it is really cool.... especially when I let them look at the monitor.
I generally fly away from anyone as I don't like audiences.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I have somewhere around 700 flights under my belt and have only had 3 negative encounters with bystanders.
Most think it is really cool.... especially when I let them look at the monitor.
I generally fly away from anyone as I don't like audiences.

Thanks, I guess you will always get someone moaning about something. 3/700 is good going, what did the 3 complain about?

Hi everyone, new to the forum so it's my first post.

I wanted other peoples opinions and experience with flying drones around St Helens area and the northwest in general. I currently live in class D airspace so I appreciate the rules regarding this. flying under 400ft, not flying over people, under people, into people (crazy laws)

Has anyone experienced any negativity towards drone flying from the general public? I used to fly model aircraft but it was a nightmare finding somewhere to fly and much more difficult to get any video footage of flights, so I sold my RC gear to help fund a new Mavic air.

Before I invest in a Mavic Air I appreciate anyone's feedback, also up for any meetups or ideas on safe places to fly.

Thanks in advance

Rick
Welcome! I'm also new here, I have the mavic pro and it's amazing! But it think the mavic air will be great as well.

Welcome! I'm also new here, I have the mavic pro and it's amazing! But it think the mavic air will be great as well.

Welcome, Pilotryan,

There's a film in that somewhere - Saving Pilot Ryan.

Yeah, I have been torn between the 2 to be honest, watching a million YouTube video comparisons, both look great. Have you been flying for a long time?

what did the 3 complain about?
  • One said I was invading the privacy of his office building. Guy sic'ed a security guard on me. Guard thought the pictures were cool and agreed that there was no way I could be looking in any windows from 250'
  • Another said that in this day and age flying a drone should not be permitted because it might be carrying a bomb or 'something'.
  • Third was a guy at the beach who said I was making a lot of people uncomfortable 'spying' on everyone. He appeared to be the only uncomfortable one. Guess he thought I was checking out his girlfriend, which really wasn't worth a second look. Then a motorized parasail flew by. I asked him what he thought about that. No answer.

• One said I was invading the privacy of his office building. Guy sic'ed a security guard on me. Guard thought the pictures were cool and agreed that there was no way I could be looking in any windows from 250'
  • Another said that in this day and age flying a drone should not be permitted because it might be carrying a bomb or 'something'.
  • Third was a guy at the beach who said I was making a lot of people uncomfortable 'spying' on everyone. He appeared to be the only uncomfortable one. Guess he thought I was checking out his girlfriend, which really wasn't worth a second look. Then a motorized parasail flew by. I asked him what he thought about that. No answer.

ha quite funny I guess. you're a girlfriend spying drone bomber. People can be strange. All you can do is respect peoples opinions and totally ignore them :) Thanks for the info.

Hi guys I have a Mavic Pro with 115 flights, I like to film scenic places, done a few around the North West area, love filming castles, done a couple now, I am based up in Preston if anybody wants to meet up somewhere to fly that would be great, I also try to keep away from big crowds..

nice work mate. You can definitely tell they weren't filmed anywhere in the North West :) I haven't even bought mine yet and I'm looking around at places I could fly.

I have quite a few around my area just not put them on YT, you get some arseholes who are against drones posting so I tend to keep them on my server at home now. Less hasle.
There are some good spots around here if you know where to fly from, just been up to durham and filmed a Castle and the Angel of the North, it was a bit windy and I struggled a bit with the angel of the north, was doing a a flight around it and when I was heading in to the wind, with cruise set on 10mph the wind was 10mph and the Mavic just stayed in that position until the gust died down lol.

ha nice one, you will always get arseholes on youtube no matter what you post. Lot of bored people with nothing better to do. I guess high winds also drain the battery a fair amount. Im looking at getting a Mavic air which will probably be worse in the wind lol. Hopefully getting some nice weather this summer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura