DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POWER BANK TO CHARGE MAVIC BATTERIES

Alvaro Lopes

Reactions
Hi

Can someone help me about my wondering?

So, I was thinking about a portable way of charging drone batteries.

How can I do that?

Is it possible with a power bank and with cable connections to the drone battery connectors?

By other way?

Any help will be appreciated.

Rgds

Alvaro Lopes

There are plenty of powerbanks that have enough power to charge a Mavic battery several times but I've never found a cable for one.

Reactions: frank candor
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I'd suggest just getting a power bank with a traditional AC power outlet, then you can use all your OEM accessories and not worry about cables:

Mophie Powerstation AC:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mophie-powerstation-AC-External-Smartphones/dp/B078GYSBVR

Or the RavPower version:

https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-RAVP...id=1539705583&sr=1-4&keywords=AC+battery+bank

Also handy for any other trips you might take.

Those are nice, but the problem I have is the price difference between those and the equivalent capacity power bank.

Those are nice, but the problem I have is the price difference between those and the equivalent capacity power bank.

The problem you will find is finding a USB-A or USB-C to DJI battery cable that you could use with a non-AC power bank. This allows the use of OEM accessories. They also go on sale all the time for much less - in Canada I have seen the Mophie Powerstation AC for $120 and in the USA for $99 which is very cheap.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
The problem you will find is finding a USB-A or USB-C to DJI battery cable that you could use with a non-AC power bank. This allows the use of OEM accessories. They also go on sale all the time for much less - in Canada I have seen the Mophie Powerstation AC for $120 and in the USA for $99 which is very cheap.
Wouldn't the batteries charge fine thru the battery/dual USB adapter that was included with the M2s?

Wouldn't the batteries charge fine thru the battery/dual USB adapter that was included with the M2s?

I don't have a M2 yet so I am not sure - they might. On my Air the power connector for the multi charger is just a standard DC connection and not USB. Looking at pictures of the Fly More Combo's cables for the M2 I cannot see the ends of the cables. Also I believe there is an adapter to use the Mavic batteries as a power bank but I don't think it works the other way.

Last edited:
I don't have a M2 yet so I am not sure - they might. On my Air the power connector for the multi charger is just a standard DC connection and not USB. Looking at pictures of the Fly More Combo's cables for the M2 I cannot see the ends of the cables.
I'm actually referring to a tiny USB adapter that attaches to individual batteries that give the user the option to charge/power any USB device from the M2s battery.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I'm actually referring to a tiny USB adapter that attaches to individual batteries that give the user the option to charge/power any USB device from the M2s battery.

Ah yes - that turns the battery itself into a power bank but does not support charging. That is the case with the Air anyway so I assume the same with the Mavic 2 but I'd be happy to be corrected. It's one-way unfortunately, assuming it works the same.

You'd need a pretty big battery bank to charge a Mavic 2 battery. Even though the batteries are 3850mAh, being 4 cell means its really 15400mAh single cell, assuming some losses in efficiency from charging, you'd need at least a 20000mAh supply. Looking at the spec of the DroneMax 360, listed as 207Wh, Mavic batteries are rated for ~60Wh, so it'll get you about 3-3.5 recharges before depleting the battery on the DroneMax (which may not be sufficient for some).

Reactions: Hedonist222
I bought a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 for $1000 at Costco and it is freaking awesome. I bought it when I went on the total eclipse expedition to oregon last year and it lasted 3 days in the field and never got to 50% - kept all my gadgets (phone, ipad, camera batteries) fully charged, powered my LED camp lights and even recharged my lenovo laptop. When I have used it to recharge the drone batteries it is fine, I have stopped even checking to see what level it gets down to. Downside is it is heavy (like car battery heavy) but that way it doesn't slide around in the back of the truck. Bonus - my 4Runner has an AC outlet in the back and I can charge the Yeti while I am driving. You can also get solar panels for it. If you are out in the field you can't beat it. I even recharge battery packs for my Dewalt tools.

Costco Wholesale

Reactions: Mad_Maru
You'd need a pretty big battery bank to charge a Mavic 2 battery. Even though the batteries are 3850mAh, being 4 cell means its really 15400mAh single cell, assuming some losses in efficiency from charging, you'd need at least a 20000mAh supply. Looking at the spec of the DroneMax 360, listed as 207Wh, Mavic batteries are rated for ~60Wh, so it'll get you about 3-3.5 recharges before depleting the battery on the DroneMax (which may not be sufficient for some).

Keep in mind you can't travel on planes with something like a DroneMax if it's 207Wh - most airlines only allow 100Wh maximum.

I bought a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 for $1000 at Costco and it is freaking awesome. I bought it when I went on the total eclipse expedition to oregon last year and it lasted 3 days in the field and never got to 50% - kept all my gadgets (phone, ipad, camera batteries) fully charged, powered my LED camp lights and even recharged my lenovo laptop. When I have used it to recharge the drone batteries it is fine, I have stopped even checking to see what level it gets down to. Downside is it is heavy (like car battery heavy) but that way it doesn't slide around in the back of the truck. Bonus - my 4Runner has an AC outlet in the back and I can charge the Yeti while I am driving. You can also get solar panels for it. If you are out in the field you can't beat it. I even recharge battery packs for my Dewalt tools.

Costco Wholesale
I agree with this, the goal zero line is fantastic especially for traveling outdoors. If you want something a little more portable then the Sherpa 100ac just dropped. I had the previous model and it's great.

Certainly not, you'll have to use the built in inverter with your charger.
They also won't have anticipated that DJI might use even higher voltage lipos on future aircraft so even with a cable you wouldn't be charging your battery fully with the existing settings/options.

I ended up getting the following
Car charger $16
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GYNSP46/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Portable battery that has at least a 12v (10amp minimum) DC outlet and comes with a DC outlet cigarette adaptor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DH3QHYD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I already had this for my car. Will charge MAvic 2 battery at least twice. I got it on a Amazon flash sale for $60. It can also be used as a jump starter. It has about 20,000 m)

Rockpals 250watt 60,000 mah charger. Not DC outlet not able to charge via with the charger above. But AC outlet with OEM mavic charger works okay. Charges Mavic batteries about 2-3times. (got this on a Amazon flash sale for $146)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SSMR6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The DJI OEM DC charger would bit work NOT WORK on any of these batteries. It also would NOT work charging when connected to my truck's DC outlet, unless truck was running. Has something to do with vehicles do not put out enough voltage or amps when engine is no running. The OEM charger is too sensitive. It would light up then turn off. I also found that the aftermarket charger only charges to 96 percent. What I mostly do is when the Rockpals is done charging its mavic battery then if the car charger has not finished I then move it to the Rockpals battery for charging. This way I always have two batteries charging.

In the end, if a battery has a 12volt DC outlet that at least 10amps outlet it should work. I found this out when I tried it on another battery jump starter but was rated at only 6ams.

Hi

Can someone help me about my wondering?

So, I was thinking about a portable way of charging drone batteries.

How can I do that?

Is it possible with a power bank and with cable connections to the drone battery connectors?

By other way?

Any help will be appreciated.

Rgds

Alvaro Lopes
I use a 12vdc power converter. Plugged into my cig lighter and I get 12vdc out for the charger

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS