DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precipitation Static’s

Mavic19963

Reactions
P-static or precipitation static.
I have an ASA study guide for the Part 107. On page 2-27, it mentions p-static and how it can effect communication with a UAS and control station. I’ll quote the following from the manual: “P-Static can also disrupt Communications between the sUAS and the control station which may have significant detrimental impact on the ability to control or retrieve the sUAS.” P-static elements include rain, snow, fog, hail, volcanic ash, dust; any solid or liquid particles.
I’m wondering if the latter elements are creating the flyaways, and crashes that we hear so much about with drones? Seems that static dischargers may be used to used to address this problem.
-Attribution from the ‘2020 Aviation Supplies & Academics, Inc.’ study manual for the 2021 Remote Pilot Test Prep.
Your thoughts?

I’m wondering if the latter elements are creating the flyaways, and crashes that we hear so much about with drones?
Those things shouldn't be causing flyaways or crashes.
Even if you lose signal completely (unlikely because of those things), that just initiates Failsafe RTH.
Interference or loss of signal won't ever cause the drone to fly off on its own and out of control.
The thing that causes "flyaways" and crashes is overwhelmingly poor piloting.

I have an ASA study guide for the Part 107. On page 2-27, it mentions p-static and how it can effect communication with a UAS and control station. I’ll quote the following from the manual: “P-Static can also disrupt Communications between the sUAS and the control station which may have significant detrimental impact on the ability to control or retrieve the sUAS.” P-static elements include rain, snow, fog, hail, volcanic ash, dust; any solid or liquid particles.
I’m wondering if the latter elements are creating the flyaways, and crashes that we hear so much about with drones? Seems that static dischargers may be used to used to address this problem.
-Attribution from the ‘2020 Aviation Supplies & Academics, Inc.’ study manual for the 2021 Remote Pilot Test Prep.
Your thoughts?
Shouldn’t be too much of a problem since you are supposed to have 3 SM visibility to fly as well as maintain distance from clouds/fog.

I’m wondering if the latter elements are creating the flyaways, and crashes that we hear so much about with drones?
Good question. As an airplane pilot who has flown into towering cumulus clouds that have knocked out pretty much all my instrumentation I think this is a valid question and am interested in what our savvy engineers here might say on the subject.

I'm guessing though that P-static would not cause a significant build up on the small surface of a somewhat non-conductive, coposite drone. Airplanes often have carbon wicks that trail behind the craft and release any static buildup from their surfaces.

Last edited:
Your thoughts?
I would have thought that anyone flying under the descriptions you state is really asking for problems to happen , cheers Len

If you fly your drone into 'towering cumulus clouds' and are at 400' AGL or below, you have a good chance of becoming a human lightning rod. Communication with your drone will be the least of your worries. You may, however, have great communication with your maker.

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911