DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision Landing and GPS Drift Issues with the Mavic 3

TomSull

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi, I've had my Mavic 3 for about a week, and after flying about a 5 of those days, I have yet to see the Mavic 3 use Precision Landing. It's aways off by a range of 5 to 15 feet or so. Also, while flying with the camera straight down, without touching the controls, I see it drift a bit. It also takes 2 or 3 minutes to get an initial GPS fix every time I fly.

So, I'm wondering if I have a weak GPS in the unit. Is there an antenna that could be disconnected or other issue that could be causing this? Does Precision Landing work for anyone else?

How can I best test this?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Tom

Reactions: bonzo and synergy26
Hi, I've had my Mavic 3 for about a week, and after flying about a 5 of those days, I have yet to see the Mavic 3 use Precision Landing. It's aways off by a range of 5 to 15 feet or so. Also, while flying with the camera straight down, without touching the controls, I see it drift a bit. It also takes 2 or 3 minutes to get an initial GPS fix every time I fly.

So, I'm wondering if I have a weak GPS in the unit. Is there an antenna that could be disconnected or other issue that could be causing this? Does Precision Landing work for anyone else?

Tom
I also noticed the same issue. Ran a few RTH test flighs today and 3 out 5 landings were about five feet off from its original take off location. It was a little windy and cloudy so not sure if that could have contribute to some drifting and GPS signal loss. Will test again on a clear day and provide an update.

The problem is the drone as soon as take off Mode changed to Detour. When this happen the drone drift just before the precision "picture" landing is set. The drone is having ghost issues. Ghost= think is an object and correct trajectory when there is nothing.

Some times once in a blue moon flying normally detect ghost as well changing flying speed. This is an issue I am sure will be corrected in future firmware's. I am not concerned about it.

As a brand new drone we can expect bugs. The first owners are the DJI betta testers. It is what it is.

I also noticed the same issue. Ran a few RTH test flighs today and 3 out 5 landings were about five feet off from its original take off location
That's the kind of precision you can expect from GPS.
That shows that the drone was not using the precision landing feature (which uses optical technology) and was using GPS alone.
It was a little windy and cloudy so not sure if that could have contribute to some drifting and GPS signal loss.
Neither would have any effect on GPS at all.

Mine consistently. See the white sticker under it? I sat it over the sticker before take off and that's where rth landed it. Do you guys take off and go up a foot or two slowly before you zoom up? You should get two home point set messages. One on the ground and one right after you take off. I believe it takes an image right after it takes off and tries to land exactly where it took off.

20211112_110209.jpg

The ground background you are using is pavement. Pavement is not good distinctive. The precision landing is unable to detect that even using that small white tape. Try a landing pad or lines in a parking lot for example. No grass that is all uniform. Something distinctive. The H from the landing pad is the best.

Take off and wait until you hear "the home point has been updated" then go straights up for abut 15ft and count 5 to 8 seconds and then you can move. Try go back to home after that and tell me the results.

The ground background you are using is pavement. Pavement is not good distinctive. The precision landing is unable to detect that even using that small white tape. Try a landing pad or lines in a parking lot for example. No grass that is all uniform. Something distinctive. The H from the landing pad is the best.

Take off and wait until you hear "the home point has been updated" then go straights up for abut 15ft and count 5 to 8 seconds and then you can move. Try go back to home after that and tell me the results.

Lol it landed exactly where it took off

Mine consistently. See the white sticker under it? I sat it over the sticker before take off and that's where rth landed it. Do you guys take off and go up a foot or two slowly before you zoom up? You should get two home point set messages. One on the ground and one right after you take off. I believe it takes an image right after it takes off and tries to land exactly where it took off.
The manual explains what's important for Precision Landing:
The Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. The Home Point must be recorded upon takeoff and must not be changed during flight.
Otherwise, the aircraft will have no record of the Home Point terrain features.
b. During takeoff, the aircraft must ascend at least 7 m before flying horizontally.
c. The Home Point terrain features must remain largely unchanged.
d. The terrain features of the Home Point must be sufficiently distinctive. Terrain such as snow-
covered areas are not suitable.
e. The lighting conditions must not be too light or too dark

There is no need to go up a foot or two slowly.
The drone records an image of the landing area from 7 metres.

Reactions: Reid937 and zeusfl
a. The Home Point must be recorded upon takeoff and must not be changed during flight.
b. During takeoff, the aircraft must ascend at least 7 m before flying horizontally.
d. The terrain features of the Home Point must be sufficiently distinctive. Terrain such as snow-

I have been following all these guidelines but no luck with precision landing, but I've not flown since I posted my original post in this thread (weather hasn't been good).

Mine is doing the same thing and I don't understand why it can't do precision takeoff and landing like my old mavic pro did. I have 21 sats, clear weather, recalibrated everything, did everything the manual suggests but its always around 5 feet off from the landing pad. ???

I'm still having this issue after the updates, anyone else still experiencing this still? Or has anyone found a solution. DJI said to return it but I feel that it is a software issue.

I'm still having this issue after the updates, anyone else still experiencing this still? Or has anyone found a solution. DJI said to return it but I feel that it is a software issue.
Pretty sure that's their go-to answer. I have 3 support cases out there (RC pro disconnects, altitude increase without input, slow sat connect) and they've wanted me to return it each time.

Reactions: Meta4
I have to say that if the manufacturer wants the drone back then I would return it.

Chances are there were quite a few first run M3's sold with issues from the looks of things, as annoying as it is to have to wait I would still think its the best option.

When i returned my M3 for a refund I was actually offered a new drone at the same time the old one would have been collected if I had opted for an exchange. I am n the UK so maybe that was much easier to arrange here and I purchased directly from DJI.

If you leave the drone to land and it's not landing exactly at the launch point, that indicates that Precision Landing was not able to operate and the drone was only able to use GPS for guidance.

That's not a big deal as Precision Landing is just a gimmick anyway.
You can easily land the drone yourself, anywhere you choose.

But here's what the manual says for Precision Landing anyway.
Are you sure that all conditions are being met?

Precision Landing

The aircraft automatically scans and attempts to match the terrain features below during RTH.
The aircraft will land when the current terrain matches the Home Point.
A prompt will appear in DJI Fly if the terrain match fails.
Landing Protection is activated during Precision Landing.

e. The lighting conditions must not be too light or too dark.

I have to say that if the manufacturer wants the drone back then I would return it.
DJI's support people are not a reliable source for accurate information.
They know very little about drones and flying and work from scripts.
When things get tricky and a script doesn't help, suggesting returning the drone is an easy way for them to deal with the case.

Last edited:
DJI's support people are not a reliable source for accurate information.
They know very little about drones and flying and work from scripts.
When things get tricky and a script doesn't help, suggesting returning the drone is an easy way for them to deal with the case.
I completely believe you but that really surprises me because its probably the least cost effective way to deal with a potential non issue caused by user error. Then again I know absolutely nothing about big business.

Just seems odd that a tech savvy company such as DJI does not have far better customer support systems that log and categorise ever contact, in order to build a clear picture of what's happening, especially on the launch of a new product?

Tom
That issue seems to be common to all mavic 3s.

I’ve tried that multiple times to no avail. Precision landing is not precision landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke