DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision landings

I recently got a Mavic 2 Pro and although I've been taking off and landing myself, thought I'd test the accuracy of the RTH feature. I was very impressed when the M2P came down and landed dead centre of my small orange landing pad (which isn't a whole lot bigger than the M2P!).

Do the calibration every time it does not come close.
But like most will tell you, it is a nice feature but you should land it yourself.
Check out the list in the video on why and how to do it.

If you adhere to the recommended DJI launch procedure, RTH should bring the drone back to within about 50-100mm of the take off point on a well illuminated H-pad. I then always flip the gimbal vertically down, to monitor the descent accuracy, then turn on the LED light (if late afternoon and low sunlight) and switch to Tripod Mode, if the final landing needs some tweaks. But in Tripod Mode, you also then have the opportunity to place the drone on hover at about 1 metre AGL and easily take hold of it from below, while you shut off the power at the RC. Job done! ??

Reactions: RobertR
Like others have said, if you follow the correct take off/landing procedure you shouldn't have any issues. When I use RTH it has always been within inches except for one time when it was a few feet off. Still not sure why that happened.

I use a landing pad. Ascend to 25 ft, hover and slowly do a 360 turn. My RTH is within inches if not spot on 99 percent of the time. The other one percent is usually caused by increase in wind speed during flight and still it is within the landing pad area. Have not experienced the RTH landings of two and three feet away. I would say that I am just lucky but when the drone (MP2) hits the mark 99 percent of the time I have to guess that luck is not a factor but the process that I am using is working under my conditions.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
If you follow the correct takeoff procedure the precision landing will be within 3 inches of the takeoff point. The procedure is in the user's manual. One on the key elements is you must ascend 25 feet (7 meters in the manual) straight up with no horizontal control inputs. The MA2 will take visual images of the takeoff point while ascending and land at that point using the takeoff images (returning to the approximate location using GPS). If you don't follow the procedure, MA2 will land using the takeoff GPS position which has an accuracy of no better than 10 feet.
Ok followed your advice to the letter,the first attempted precision landing on the blue pad hovered about 2 foot above and told me it was not safe so i did a manual landing,blue pad in the middle of a rugby pitch so no idea why,i turned the pad over to the orange side and did 7 more on the trot all on the mat perfect ,i did one in sport mode and it missed by about a foot not sure if you take off in normal and land in sport it affects this ,swapped back to normal and it landed spot on again so yes it works ,
in all i did 10 .thanks for the tips ...;)

Ok followed your advice to the letter,the first attempted precision landing on the blue pad hovered about 2 foot above and told me it was not safe so i did a manual landing,blue pad in the middle of a rugby pitch so no idea why,i turned the pad over to the orange side and did 7 more on the trot all on the mat perfect ,i did one in sport mode and it missed by about a foot not sure if you take off in normal and land in sport it affects this ,swapped back to normal and it landed spot on again so yes it works ,
in all i did 10 .thanks for the tips ...;)

That is great to hear. Just a little persistence and a few different settings and all worked much better for you. I'm not sure and no real data to support my claim but it seems to land more accurate when my pad is showing orange. Has anyone noticed this, could the MA2 be colorblind? I know, sounds stupid but something just doesn't seem quite right.

ive been out again this evening to get some footage i was after.this time twice when landing on the orange pad it was bang on but told me it was not safe to land and i had to force it down ,why would that be ,i thought it was the blue it did not like but this time it was orange side. confused. :confused:

ive been out again this evening to get some footage i was after.this time twice when landing on the orange pad it was bang on but told me it was not safe to land and i had to force it down ,why would that be ,i thought it was the blue it did not like but this time it was orange side. confused. :confused:

I think at this point I would recalibrate everything. Remove the app from your phone and reinstall it. Have no filters on the lens and fly totally vanilla. If at this point it still has issues then I would send it to DJI and let them fix the issue.

I think at this point I would recalibrate everything. Remove the app from your phone and reinstall it. Have no filters on the lens and fly totally vanilla. If at this point it still has issues then I would send it to DJI and let them fix the issue.
ive seen this message on numerous youtube videos as well so its not just me.

ive seen this message on numerous youtube videos as well so its not just me.

I'm looking right this moment on YouTube. Do you mind posting a link when you find one and have time? I really want to see just what is happening. Thank...

I'm looking right this moment on YouTube. Do you mind posting a link when you find one and have time? I really want to see just what is happening. Thank...
this just one i have seen a few ,the message on the screen is .area under aircraft unsuitable for landing control aircraft to land in safe area

Just want to chime in to say that a landing pad is not necessary for precision landing. 90% of my flights start from my driveway or a parking lot and I don't use the landing pad for that. The only times it doesn't land within an inch or so of its takeoff point is when there is a decent amount of wind and the quad gets pushed horizontally a bit during takeoff. I let the drone hover for ~15 seconds at the initial takeoff height before ascending to about 30 feet and hovering for about 30 seconds.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
another here as well

Never had that issue, not once. There is no reason the drone should not land as far as I can see in this video. Lets see if anyone else has an idea and if not. I would contact DJI and let them service your drone.
i will speak to DJI tomorrow see what they say ive only been out with it 4 times total ,i hope they dont want it back it seems quite common as ive seen it on a few videos now fingers crossed.

The drone thinks it's seeing uneven terrain or not flat enough landing surface. If you hold the stick down she'll land.

I get this sometimes, just re-position your landing pad and try again.

The drone thinks it's seeing uneven terrain or not flat enough landing surface. If you hold the stick down she'll land.

I get this sometimes, just re-position your landing pad and try again.
mmm i dont get that ,it was a flat rugby pitch with the pad pegged down flat you would have said it was a perfect spot ,and yes i held the stick down and she landed ok

mmm i dont get that ,it was a flat rugby pitch with the pad pegged down flat you would have said it was a perfect spot ,and yes i held the stick down and she landed ok

Sounds like an ideal landing position to me. My first time with a precision landing I launched from a 12"x24" ice chest in my back yard. When she tried to land I got the message.

She would have landed squarely back on the lid of the ice chest but I could tell the drone didn't like trying to land on that small of a target, with it's surface prominently above it's surroundings.

Also seen it when trying to land on my pad at the beach. I think it was because as I approached the drone, I cast a shadow over the pad during the final stage of the landing, and may have confused the sensors.

I appreciate it being cautious during automated landings.

If you follow the correct takeoff procedure the precision landing will be within 3 inches of the takeoff point. The procedure is in the user's manual. One on the key elements is you must ascend 25 feet (7 meters in the manual) straight up with no horizontal control inputs. The MA2 will take visual images of the takeoff point while ascending and land at that point using the takeoff images (returning to the approximate location using GPS). If you don't follow the procedure, MA2 will land using the takeoff GPS position which has an accuracy of no better than 10 feet.
Finally, on post #11, someone answers the OP's question!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll