DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision landings

The greater the contrasting sections and bright colors seem to work best for me. As repeated previously, rise slowly to 25 feet, then I add a complete very slow 360 degree pivot. Mine never misses an RTH.

Attachments

• 20200711_094521.jpg
    20200711_094521.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: ninja_geezer
The greater the contrasting sections and bright colors seem to work best for me. As repeated previously, rise slowly to 25 feet, then I add a complete very slow 360 degree pivot. Mine never misses an RTH.
nice one will try the 360 again thanks.

ok so im guessing im not the only one who finds the precision landing hit and miss.
when i first test flew the aircraft every return to home seemed to be spot on my landing mat.
since then im lucky if one in 5 are on the mat some are 7 or 8 feet away ,ive tried auto take off let hover and then up to 7 metres ,even sat there for 10 seconds but it never seems to be consistent ,has anyone found a trick to help with this,i always use a large orange or blue landing pad .
ive watched all the youtube videos as well.
i was out today and did 6 rth landings and only one was on the mat .the aircraft always lands facing the correct direction.i have calibrated the compass and the imu as well.
Do you hear the "Home Point has been updated..." aural message on these flights?

Finally, on post #11, someone answers the OP's question!

Very simple as commented. Although I don't follow that procedure as outlined per say.. I have a 3 month old M2Z. I can do a autotake off or manual. If auto, I let it take off, then might pause to check aircraft functions/gauges, or may not, then I simply and methodically insure that I apply throttle, and throttle only to rise some 20 or so foot above take off, and pause for maybe 3 to 5 seconds. I don't need no stinking orange or blue pad with a stupid "H" as I am not flying a heli :p. I take off from a black mouse pad (next to a bird feeder, which the drone "Sees" before the landing/mouse pad from 100') that has maybe 1 inch tolerance on front to back legs.

I have taken off from a rock/sand area..doing the same take off as normal. I simply used my foot to "X" ground under where I took off to mark where "Zero" (dead center placement) was at launch. I did both manual and auto launches. (No difference on final out come.) I then do my flight. I have used RTH on no less than 1000 Flights on 4 DJI aircraft. All are within 3 foot 99% of the time (counting P3P and a P4).

This is my 2nd DJI with Precision. Simply if precision take off is done right it will land in my experience within 2" or less from take off. If not, you have one of two issues..Your Drone is bad, or your not following the right procedure. You simply cannot, even in the slightest touch Yaw on Mode two (although some say to, leave right stick untouched). That effectively cancels precision home in my experience ( I would say if you do use Yaw the info is already gathered, but just my thoughts) ;). Why, because the drone knows take off orientations and always faces the same way of take off that it lands...so spinning it around doesn't make sense.

I will not doubt those that pirouette at height, but I never have, so I feel not needed. In 40 or so test flights with my new M2Z I have only 1 (yes one) missed landing that was more than 2" away. and I think I know that I may have "Bumped input" or that I reset RTH doing a test after launch. So again simple follow correct procedure or not, allow aircraft to rise up. I actually think it takes a series of shots rising up, ( not confirmed).

But when it lands from say 90 Ft up or so. You willl see a message on the screen that is is steering to a Precision landing, even if at that point is 10 foot or so off of "zero mark". IF you don't see that message (at least with a M2) then it isn't doing a PL, as you didn't do something right at take off.

I have even done this at night, with "landing lights" set to auto...it just never fails to land within a inch or two. Not sure what the rest of you are doing , or you got a "lemon". IMHO. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ninja_geezer
Very simple as commented. Although I don't follow that procedure as outlined per say.. I have a 3 month old M2Z. I can do a autotake off or manual. If auto, I let it take off, then might pause to check aircraft functions/gauges, or may not, then I simply and methodically insure that I apply throttle, and throttle only to rise some 20 or so foot above take off, and pause for maybe 3 to 5 seconds. I don't need no stinking orange or blue pad with a stupid "H" as I am not flying a heli :p. I take off from a black mouse pad (next to a bird feeder, which the drone "Sees" before the landing/mouse pad from 100') that has maybe 1 inch tolerance on front to back legs.

I have taken off from a rock/sand area..doing the same take off as normal. I simply used my foot to "X" ground under where I took off to mark where "Zero" (dead center placement) was at launch. I did both manual and auto launches. (No difference on final out come.) I then do my flight. I have used RTH on no less than 1000 Flights on 4 DJI aircraft. All are within 3 foot 99% of the time (counting P3P and a P4).

This is my 2nd DJI with Precision. Simply if precision take off is done right it will land in my experience within 2" or less from take off. If not, you have one of two issues..Your Drone is bad, or your not following the right procedure. You simply cannot, even in the slightest touch Yaw on Mode two (although some say to, leave right stick untouched). That effectively cancels precision home in my experience ( I would say if you do use Yaw the info is already gathered, but just my thoughts) ;). Why, because the drone knows take off orientations and always faces the same way of take off that it lands...so spinning it around doesn't make sense.

I will not doubt those that pirouette at height, but I never have, so I feel not needed. In 40 or so test flights with my new M2Z I have only 1 (yes one) missed landing that was more than 2" away. and I think I know that I may have "Bumped input" or that I reset RTH doing a test after launch. So again simple follow correct procedure or not, allow aircraft to rise up. I actually think it takes a series of shots rising up, ( not confirmed).

But when it lands from say 90 Ft up or so. You willl see a message on the screen that is is steering to a Precision landing, even if at that point is 10 foot or so off of "zero mark". IF you don't see that message (at least with a M2) then it isn't doing a PL, as you didn't do something right at take off.

I have even done this at night, with "landing lights" set to auto...it just never fails to land within a inch or two. Not sure what the rest of you are doing , or you got a "lemon". IMHO. :)
very similar procedure but ive never seen a message for steering to a precision landing.

I have never landed my drone on any surface. Always had catch. What’s the importance of precision landing?

very similar procedure but ive never seen a message for steering to a precision landing.
I am not quite sure of verbiage it uses, but up top left corner in a yellow "Balloon". I have a Smart Controller, but not sure if that matters. It shows up for a bit after RTH Decent starts, I believe (Don't quote me) when it first recognizes it's landing zone. Obviously I am starring at the drone 95% during time but I have seen it a few times now in my short ownership. :)

I have never landed my drone on any surface. Always had catch. What’s the importance of precision landing?
In all actuality very rare cases or circumstances would it be needed, It is a simple parlor trick :p But OHhhhh Noooo! When the M2 came out and it didn't have it...DJI owners raised heck, DJI put it back on the next firmware. My acquaintances at my local pub see it in action and talk about it for a hour after ;)

i like my fingers intact lol....why would i want to catch it when i can land it on the ground in front of me . ;)

Reactions: RobertR
no it is easy, just keep your hand flat and your eye on the prize.
In that, I hand caught yesterday and did a quick invert to kill motors, it didn't shut off like normal, had to use left stick. Anyone running latest firmware ".0607" on M2 noticed anything? I recently upgraded and first and only time so far that I hand caught on update.

i like my fingers intact lol....why would i want to catch it when i can land it on the ground in front of me . ;)

Why would your fingers not be interact? At no point do my fingers go near the proper. I simply reach up with palms open and land it. The end.

In that, I hand caught yesterday and did a quick invert to kill motors, it didn't shut off like normal, had to use left stick. Anyone running latest firmware ".0607" on M2 noticed anything? I recently upgraded and first and only time so far that I hand caught on update.
I read somewhere or saw a utube that it is bad for the drone motors to flip it over to stop it. Just and FYI.

I read somewhere or saw a utube that it is bad for the drone motors to flip it over to stop it. Just and FYI.
Probably somewhat, yet people have been doing it for years, and no more than I hand catch...really not worried about it per say. If done correctly and instantly and it works as should, affect would be extremely minimal at bearings (In all actuality it probably puts more strain on props than bearings/motors). It all depends on whether you use your wrist or form a "C" motion to do it. As when you do it "right" motors aren't rev'ing and then they just quit. However when it doesn't work like mine, it's like a huge gyro strain on motors. But noted, thanks. :) More wanted to know if perhaps latest firmware takes it out of the equation, as I would normally do it in Emergency landing type scenarios. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah
hand catching is fine but it does have its dangers ,those props will do a lot of damage if they come into contact with body parts
it does not have any direct influence on the life of the motors or gimbal, what the poster means ,because the mavic is very low to the ground ,it needs a clean flat place to take off and land
because it helps prevent dirt getting into the motors ,and the gimbal performing its start up dance
to this end most people use a portable landing /takeoff mat, or extensions on the existing landing gear only hand catch if you are really comfortable doing it ,
each of us have reasons why we do or dont hand catch ,i have to avoid such activity as i take a anticoagulant to help with my heart condition ,and if i was to be injured by the props i would be at risk from not being able to control the bleeding

Yeah, "most" really doesn't mean much, I would say the vast majority of people don't hand catch it. I know I don't because when I tried hand catching with my Mavic air 1, I sliced open my fingertips on the props and it was 2 months before they properly healed

I have found that when I initialize a RTH with my phone, landing on the "H" is perfect but when I use the RTH button on the controller, landing on the "H" is usually off by 5 feet or so at which case I take over and land it myself.

WDK

I have found that when I initialize a RTH with my phone, landing on the "H" is perfect but when I use the RTH button on the controller, landing on the "H" is usually off by 5 feet or so at which case I take over and land it myself.

WDK
mmm interesting i will try this when i get out again .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21