DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prepare your battery for winter storage

Former Member

Reactions
I know that this topic has been brought up before, but as the weather in many geographical areas gets cooler, some people are putting their birds up for the winter, or just not flying as regularly.

Although DJI Mavic Lipo batteries have a built-in software-programmable self-discharger, they are not completely maintenance free. Before storing them, reduce their levels to between 40%-65%. It's best to check them every so often to make sure that the battery voltage level has not dropped off too low, such as below 40%. I check mine at least once a month in the months I dont fly, and regularly charge and discharge them. DJI says you can go up to 3 months without charging them, but by the time 3 months is up, you might have a bricked battery. I charge them up, fly or just hover some place for 10 minutes to get them back down to storage charge, and then shelve them. The 1st of the month is my busiest day of the month in the winter months. I pay alot of bills, get my hair cut, and cycle my batteries.

According to the manual, the Mavic battery is happiest being stored at temperatures between 72°f and 82°f (22-28°c). For most of us that means indoors, unless you live in an igloo.

With proper care, your Mavic battery will last hundreds of flights and many years.

Best regards from Thunderdrones.

I know that this topic has been brought up before, but as the weather in many geographical areas gets cooler, some people are putting their birds up for the winter, or just not flying as regularly.

Although DJI Mavic Lipo batteries have a built-in software-programmable self-discharger, they are not completely maintenance free. Before storing them, reduce their levels to between 40%-65%. It's best to check them every so often to make sure that the battery voltage level has not dropped off too low, such as below 40%. I check mine at least once a month in the months I dont fly, and regularly charge and discharge them. DJI says you can go up to 3 months without charging them, but by the time 3 months is up, you might have a bricked battery. I charge them up, fly or just hover some place for 10 minutes to get them back down to storage charge, and then shelve them. The 1st of the month is my busiest day of the month in the winter months. I pay alot of bills, get my hair cut, and cycle my batteries.

According to the manual, the Mavic battery is happiest being stored at temperatures between 72°f and 82°f (22-28°c). For most of us that means indoors, unless you live in an igloo.

With proper care, your Mavic battery will last hundreds of flights and many years.

Best regards from Thunderdrones.

I haven't touched the batteries to my Phantom since buying the Mavic 10 months ago. I've got two of them & had about 50% charge when I used them last. They cost $150 apiece so your post got me worried that I might have bricked them. I stuck them on the charger with no problems. If this is any indication then they can take a lot of abuse.

There is absolutely no need or point in bothering, you're wasting useful cycles more than anything.

The >3 month brick was a battery firmware problem that was corrected many months ago so it's only a risk if you're running very old firmware.

wouldn't it be the same as a new battery on a shelf? At the end of July I brought a battery from a dji store, serial no. date was January

Reactions: Former Member
All you need do is make sure they don't gradually discharge too low.
There can't be many places impossible to briefly use it at least once a month or so.
Don't forget the controller doesn't want leaving too low either.

Reactions: Former Member
I haven't touched the batteries to my Phantom since buying the Mavic 10 months ago. I've got two of them & had about 50% charge when I used them last. They cost $150 apiece so your post got me worried that I might have bricked them. I stuck them on the charger with no problems. If this is any indication then they can take a lot of abuse.

The problem with leaving them for so many months without cycling is that they might not pack as much punch any more after they are charged. They could brick, but might also not fill to capacity as they once did.

There is absolutely no need or point in bothering, you're wasting useful cycles more than anything.

The >3 month brick was a battery firmware problem that was corrected many months ago so it's only a risk if you're running very old firmware.

Sorry but I disagree. To me, it's worth "wasting" 6 cycles over the winter to make sure my battery has maintained it's minimal voltage. These batteries can be charged hundreds of times, so cycling 6 times over 6 months is a drop in the ocean.

wouldn't it be the same as a new battery on a shelf? At the end of July I brought a battery from a dji store, serial no. date was January

Yes it would be the same, if they were stored at the correct temperature, and not allowed to drop below the minimal voltage. If I got a battery from DJI or other retailer and the manufacture date was more than 3 months ago, I would ask for a new battery. Now that there are so many retailers selling batteries, who knows how long they have been sitting on the shelf. I would check the manufacturing date and also the voltage as soon as I received it and before charging to make sure it's not below 40%.

All you need do is make sure they don't gradually discharge too low.
There can't be many places impossible to briefly use it at least once a month or so.
Don't forget the controller doesn't want leaving too low either.

Good point about the controller.

make sure my battery has maintained it's minimal voltage
It simply isn't a matter for concern. Apart from that firmware bug you could leave your battery for a decade without siginificant voltage drop.

The controller is another thing and is known to drain the battery slowly even when off so you DO wantto monitor that once in a while... but it's only a matter of pressing the power button and looking at the percentage, no cycling needed.

So other than the suggestion of using the battery as a power source for something else, or hovering for 10 minutes, what's a good way to discharge? Does anyone make something you could pop the battery in to do that?

Randy

It simply isn't a matter for concern.

According to DJI and based on all of my experience, it is a matter for concern.. Why risk your $90 battery when you can take a few minutes a month and properly maintain it? I err on the safe side. Catastrophic battery failure is one thing I would prefer not to experience when it could be prevented.

So other than the suggestion of using the battery as a power source for something else, or hovering for 10 minutes, what's a good way to discharge? Does anyone make something you could pop the battery in to do that?

Randy

If you don't want to use the other methods, I found this company that sells a custom made discharger for $99. It says that it can be used for the Inspire, Mavic & Phantom, but I would check with them first on availability. Also, it's not a DJI product, so if your battery gets damaged, you're on your own.

Phantom Angel

Randy

If you are a purist, perfectionist, really care about your equipment, or are meticulous about maintaining your equipment, use one of the 3 methods mentioned. Lipo batteries are not meant to be stored at full capacity for any length of time. It's best to discharge them as soon as you have decided not to use them. Yes, DJI gives you extended times available to discharge them in DJI Go, but best to be your own best friend and discharge them if not going to be used.

I race other RC vehicles, and if Im not going to be using a pack after a race, it gets discharged down to 3.7v per cell asap. Granted the lipos I use for racing dont have smart technology, but most times using common sense is better than smart technology.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying